PDA

View Full Version : Grilling in Garage = Greasy Car?

AirVenture
10-27-2012, 05:20 PM
I had just cleaned my car in the afternoon and grilled out that evening. It was really windy and unseasonably cold here in TX, so I had my grill nestled just inside the open garage door. Today I go to drive the car and notice it's covered in a very fine, speckled coating. It certainly seems greasy. Could it be from grilling? I've noticed this same thing once or twice before, but never made the connection. I figured it was overspray from something. In this case I'm fairly certain it isn't overspray, as it looked perfect the night before.

Any ideas? Does burger grease make a good wax? :)

Flash Gordon
10-27-2012, 05:23 PM
* Subscribed for longevity report

SON1C
10-27-2012, 06:07 PM
From your story its more than likely grease.. use a good soap and you should be fine // put up some kind of barrier in the garage, or car cover which I don't recommend, or the grill's going back outside!

mhphoto
10-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Well, grease is hydrophobic, but, as I remember well from my youth and wearing good old Murray's Pomade, it tends to magnify the sun's rays. Soooooo, yeah. ;)

oldmodman
10-28-2012, 04:12 AM
Just hope that you car doesn't attract ants or flies.

FUNX650
10-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Realizing that eating beef tallow is reknowned for its "clogging-effects"...

I hope that none was ingested into your vehicle's 'life-lines' when you started it up.

I'm also glad that you didn't burn your garage down.

:)

Bob

Vegas Transplant
10-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Just hope that you car doesn't attract ants or flies.

Or...Goats!!!
Im the MAN

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/47587-stubborn-5-goats.html

jfelbab
10-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Easy solution.
http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/07180926000?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0& resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0
I've seen this model on clearance at Sam's club for under $200.

Grilling in a garage is potentially dangerous. Also messy and smelly if you are grilling things like steaks that render fat and smoke a lot. In that smoke is grease, as you found out. That same grease and smoke will embed odors into your car(s) and garage. It also might make a good lure for grease loving ants and other bugs.

AirVenture
10-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Good points!

I usually buy 95/5 or 97/3 ground beef, but family was in town visiting and they bought 80/20. Yuck. The grease was causing all sorts of flare-ups.

That's a nice canopy. Looks like it would hold up well. Hopefully next year I'll be able to afford a porch addition, otherwise a canopy might be the way to go.

I live way out in the country. I wouldn't be surprised to see a goat licking my car...

I hope my fuel lines aren't clogged with cholesterol now...

vet
10-28-2012, 10:48 AM
It's probably grease. Now you have an excuse to use dawn and re-detail your car. lol

It's not a good idea to grille in the garage though, for other reasons than grease on the car.