PDA

View Full Version : Detail now or wait till Spring?

Spiney
10-27-2012, 03:23 AM
I have a black 96 SVT Cobra. We only drive it for pleasure on sunny days. I started to correct it for swirls and rids but got set back first by the extreme heat this summer, and then some health issues. We probably won't drive it over the winter unless it's very mild like last year. My question is this, should I try to do correction and seal now if we get some warm days or just wait till Spring? It is garaged when not driven. Thanks, Spiney-Dave

Anthony Onorato
10-27-2012, 03:24 AM
In my opinion, I would clay and seal it/wax it before winter, but hold off on correction until after winter, then I would perform a full detail.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Spiney
10-27-2012, 03:48 AM
It's was clayed very well this summer. After the correction I did get done I sealed it with UPGP. For now could I wash it, add a touch up layer of UPGP. Or I have a bottle of Collonite I've been wanting to try, I could wax it with that, till spring.

AutowerxDetailing
10-27-2012, 03:55 AM
A coat of 845 will absolutely last you through the winter.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online

BobbyG
10-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Hey Dave,

If the cars kept indoors and knowing how meticulous you are with it, I think you can afford to wait until spring. Nothing's going to happen to it while it's garaged and it's really a garage queen anyway......

PS My Corvette's nearly done for the fall and it'll be parked in the garage and covered until spring. Once I wake her up, she'll get fresh fluids and a full detail...:props:

Vegas Transplant
10-27-2012, 09:00 AM
James 4:14

14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

Flash Gordon
10-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Sounds like the car hasn't had a proper cleaning all year. I say do it TODAY!

tuscarora dave
10-27-2012, 10:38 AM
I suggest taking the time that it's in the garage over the winter to do the correction piecemeal. This way you don't have to rush through it now or in the spring. Correct a panel taking your time and really observe what's happening with what polish or compound and with what pads.

You'll be able to work through the learning curve at your leisure sparing your back of possible re-injury and you'll be able to get the best results with more time taken, so what you learn during the process sinks in a little better. Then next year all you'll have to do is maintain the finish you've created over the winter.

No rushing to get ready for the cruise ins and car shows because the hard work will have already been done. Just wash, add a quick few coats of UPGP and go show that beauty off.