PDA

View Full Version : XMT 360 on Metallic Gray BMW 330Xi

Pages : [1] 2

Totoland Mach
04-21-2007, 06:29 PM
I had to get this 330Xi ready to show pretty quickly and the finish was not in "too" bad condition. Compared to some of the Bimmers I've done, this was a breeze.

I only had a limited amount of time, so I used Meguiar's #83 and a burgandy 7006 pad on the Metabo to clean up light scratches and brighten the finish overall.

Then, changed to the Meg's #8006 pad and XMT 360 running at 1,500 rpm. What a nice finish! It changed my procedure for reconditioning BMW's in decent condition. I finished up and power washed the car to remove any product excess in body seams (there was just a little from the 83). Got to say, the sealant in XMT 360 became evident after the wash...beading like crazy! Dried with a jelly blade and microfiber and put the car back inside to show a client.

Here's some pics...hard to show a gray car, but you get the idea.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Apr07_BMWs/Gray330Xi/0407_Gray330Xi_XMT360_Trunk.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Apr07_BMWs/Gray330Xi/0407_Gray330Xi_XMT360_Hood.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Apr07_BMWs/Gray330Xi/0407_Gray330Xi_XMT360_OutsideShot.jpg

I start on a BMW 545i in Titanium Gray (decent shape) and I'll probably use this combo on that car.

Great product you have there Pinnacle!

Toto

Gary Sword
04-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Just another great job Toto. I think XMT 360 will do very well.

sparkie
04-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Toto, she looks sweet. I'm glad you like 360. May I hit you up with a few questions?
On the 360, did you work it down until it was almost gone like we do others polishes? Meg's #8006 would you compare that to Edge 2k green pad?

Nuke33
04-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Looks great!

justin_murphy
04-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Awesome!

How was the work time with rotary? How was the correction?

Toto, thanks!

supercharged
04-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Beautiful job, Toto!

Totoland Mach
04-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Sparkie: I worked 360 until it disappeared...I mean there was not even a haze to buff with a microfiber towel (but I did anyway...just in case LOL).

I don't know where the Edge pads compare to the Meguiar's pad. Their 7006 pad is called a cutting pad by Meguiar's, but I don't think it's as harsh as the 3M pad I use (and dislike). Their 8006 is called a polish pad and I think it's between polish and finish.

Justin: the work time was pretty short with the rotary...probably 4-5 passes in a given area 2X2'. It seemed to be longer on some areas like the roof and I suspect that was because I didn't work the roof with Meguiar's #83 beforehand.

I would say that 360 probably has decent swirl elimination, but my process before removed scratches AND swirls, so it was more of a polish and sealant. I tried to remove some light scratches with just 360 and that didn't work for me (I didn't spend a lot of time experimenting because a potential buyer was due to come at lunch).

Toto

justin_murphy
04-21-2007, 09:48 PM
What were your opinions on the "feel" of the finish?

RTexasF
04-21-2007, 10:49 PM
The finish looks liquid to me. Absolutely gorgeous.

sparkie
04-21-2007, 11:14 PM
The finish looks liquid to me. Absolutely gorgeous.
:iagree:

Totoland Mach
04-22-2007, 06:51 AM
What were your opinions on the "feel" of the finish?

Justin: I'd have to say the finish was super smooth and slick. I also think that polishing the paint prior to using 360 contributed to this. Again, I really didn't have any "experimentin" time as a client was going to see the car.

I've got some time coming up today with a Titanium Gray BMW 545i and this car is in similar condition as the 330Xi. I might try a few combo's out and make some notes.

Toto

alban61
04-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Beautiful work! Everytime I see one of those BMWs that you've completed, makes me want to buy one!! Can't afford them though (sigh).

sparkie
04-22-2007, 11:18 PM
I've got some time coming up today with a Titanium Gray BMW 545i and this car is in similar condition as the 330Xi. I might try a few combo's out and make some notes. Toto

Toto, keep us updated!

Nica
04-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Nice work Toto, I always look forward to your pictures and your write-ups. Very informative.

I have some questions for you though Toto (as usual). Today (April 22, 2007) I did a Toyota Tercell Silver color too and I noticed it's very hard to see the swirls...do you have any tricks? Have you ever used Menzerna on silver?

I can't think of any other questions right now but I'm sure I'll have some more....oh wait I remember now. When you wetsand a plastic pease, I don't know the name, but it's one of the plastic peaces that are in the middle of the door's..hope you know which plastic peace I'm talking about. When you wetsand have you ever wetsanded to much? Do they change color like a yellowish color? Hope this question makes sense.

Totoland Mach
04-23-2007, 06:31 AM
Nice work Toto, I always look forward to your pictures and your write-ups. Very informative.

I have some questions for you though Toto (as usual). Today (April 22, 2007) I did a Toyota Tercell Silver color too and I noticed it's very hard to see the swirls...do you have any tricks? Have you ever used Menzerna on silver?

I can't think of any other questions right now but I'm sure I'll have some more....oh wait I remember now. When you wetsand a plastic pease, I don't know the name, but it's one of the plastic peaces that are in the middle of the door's..hope you know which plastic peace I'm talking about. When you wetsand have you ever wetsanded to much? Do they change color like a yellowish color? Hope this question makes sense.

Nica: swirls are definitely tough to see on a silver car. I typically use the halogen lights at an angle where I can see them as a reflection on the side (hard to describe...but looking down the side of a car, the lights would be at the end).

Wetsanding: I'm super careful about wetsanding plastic body panels. I really use it to smooth out the entire piece (particularly the front bumper) prior to compounding. I've not had the wetsanding operation turn a piece yellow...that sounds like it might be too far into the clear coat. The biggest problem is: you can't use a paint guage on plastic so you don't know how much material there is left. I take the conservative approach to this process.

Toto