PDA

View Full Version : 3M Headlight restoration sanding process

Bodedetailing
10-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Over the past few years i have tried a bunch of different headlight restoration processes. many of which comprised of a basic rubbing compound and a DA polisher, but it wasn't until the other day i came across 3M's headlight sanding kit, and i decided to give it a shot. i had some some old OEM Hella e39 headlights i decided to try the product out on. the kit consisted of:
-p500 sanding disc
-p800 sanding disc
-p3000 sanding disc
-3M Rubbing compound
-Orange foam compounding pad

I have attached a few photos of the process and results. This was a great investment and would recommend this product to anyone who has heavily oxidized headlights. Let me know what you think.
Cheers

AutowerxDetailing
10-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Looks like it worked great! :props:

SuperiorAutoLLC
10-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Good stuff, I use it all the time!

ShineMyCar
10-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Yep,

I had great results too. You don't need to take the lights off the car though. 2 layers of Green tape to protect painted areas around the light.. as suggested per included directions .. and you do the same results with lights on the car.

Bodedetailing
10-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone, and yes, I have do know that you can use this process with the lights still on the car. It just so happened that i had an extra set of e39 headlights sitting around that were not in use, and i decided to put them to use and try some products!

The headlights are actually off of an e39 i bought a few years ago posted below. As you have noticed i did not think they were fitting to stay on the car in that condition.

mhphoto
10-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Looks good!

While I think all these companies releasing these headlight repair kits are remiss if they don't include a permanent sealant to replace the clear coat, I think the 3M kit is the most effective one in terms of getting the lenses clear again.

ray6
10-31-2012, 02:01 PM
3M is great for removing the original coating, but doesn't provide a replacement coating. With no protection, you will be redoing the headlights quite soon.
ray6

DetailsBR
10-31-2012, 02:39 PM
I reluctantly tried the same kit, thinking, I had nothing to lose. Figured I would be buying new lenses, boy was I wrong!!!! It saved me a couple hundred bucks, plus they still look good nearly a year later!