PDA

View Full Version : Preferred soap to strip prior to detailing...CG Citrus?

Pages : [1] 2

spewking
10-26-2012, 07:03 AM
I am about to re-apply 4*UPP sealant (I did a complete detail 3 months ago), and need to get some advice about the soap recommended to strip the current sealant off to get the surface good and clean for re-application.

Is CG citrus wash good for this? Is it strong enough? Or, does everyone recommend Dawn? Or some other soap?

Thanks for the advice.

David

swanicyouth
10-26-2012, 07:38 AM
To get it completely off I think it's always best to use a two product approach, like CG Citrus and an Eraser wipe down. Or, CG C with Griots Paint Prep.

Bigbull2984
10-26-2012, 07:47 AM
I just used the citrus wash at one oz for one gallon and it did a great job.

spewking
10-26-2012, 08:31 AM
good idea on the eraser....plan to use it as you suggest....used for the first time during complete detail and it was an improvement.....

dpk20x
10-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Sorry for the hijack but I have a semi related question

Is it always necessary to strip off the old sealant before applying a new one?

I recently stripped off my existing LSP of opti-seal and colli 845 by giving it a dawn wash followed by griots paint prep. I then laid down two coats of BFWD.

Ideally I'd like to lay down another coat in a month or two on a nice day so my LSP can make it through this winter. So is it acceptable to give my car a good wash and go straight to BFWD or should I strip off the old stuff?

spewking
10-26-2012, 11:00 AM

I recently stripped off my existing LSP of opti-seal and colli 845 by giving it a dawn wash followed by griots paint prep. I then laid down two coats of BFWD.

Ideally I'd like to lay down another coat in a month or two on a nice day so my LSP can make it through this winter. So is it acceptable to give my car a good wash and go straight to BFWD or should I strip off the old stuff?

My understanding is that you do want to remove the prior coat as it may be inconsistent in thickness, protection and reflection, so you don't want to put a coat on top of such and have it remain uneven. The 'stripping" should happen with a string car wash, hence my original question about whether CG Citrus is strong enough...apparently the Dawn is. So, you would wash with Dawn, (as an option) use a paint cleaner, then apply the LSP. That's the process.

FUNX650
10-26-2012, 12:06 PM
My understanding is that you do want to remove the prior coat as it may be inconsistent in thickness, protection and reflection, so you don't want to put a coat on top of such and have it remain uneven. The 'stripping" should happen with a string car wash, hence my original question about whether CG Citrus is strong enough...apparently the Dawn is. So, you would wash with Dawn, (as an option) use a paint cleaner, then apply the LSP. That's the process.

-Sounds like you have a plan...:props:

-Speaking of CG's 'strong-products':
I wonder if their "Stripper" Scent would make for an ideal LSP remover...

{J/K}

Bob

wangotango
10-26-2012, 12:19 PM
I have also used GG Paint Prep with xlnt results

ihaveacamaro
10-26-2012, 01:31 PM
I've used CG Wash N Gloss at 1 oz per gallon with good results :)

dpk20x
10-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Thank you. Makes sense. Guess I'll just top with some nuba.

bobble
10-26-2012, 05:54 PM
-
-Speaking of CG's 'strong-products':
I wonder if their "Stripper" Scent would make for an ideal LSP remover...

{J/K}

Bob

Definitely reminds me of a dollar remover!!!

swanicyouth
10-26-2012, 08:22 PM

If its only been a month or so there is really no reason to remove the old BFWD if your sticking with the same product and just applying another coat. That's called "layering" and people do it all the the without incident. You could even apply another wax on top of your existing BFWD, that's called "topping".

IMHO the only reason to strip off the old BFWD is if you plan to apply a different sealant.

Chefrad
10-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Now here's my question. I need to do the same thing to my cars especially once this storm finishes passing through. The Malibu sits outside and got beaten up pretty bad with the rain and strong winds.

Anyway I never started from scratch before I was thinking about using Dawn rinsing it off really well then using Griots Garage Paint Prep rinsing well then Washing it with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo then going into everything else. Is Washing it again a waste of time and not necessary? I just want to make sure I wash everything completely before I compound then sealant then wax. No I don't need to clay I already did that a few months ago.

Rsurfer
10-27-2012, 01:44 AM
Now here's my question. I need to do the same thing to my cars especially once this storm finishes passing through. The Malibu sits outside and got beaten up pretty bad with the rain and strong winds.

Anyway I never started from scratch before I was thinking about using Dawn rinsing it off really well then using Griots Garage Paint Prep rinsing well then Washing it with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo then going into everything else. Is Washing it again a waste of time and not necessary? I just want to make sure I wash everything completely before I compound then sealant then wax. No I don't need to clay I already did that a few months ago.
The compounding step will remove everything. If your not using a water based compound or polish, be sure to use IPA or Eraser to clean the oils left from the polish before sealing or waxing.

Chefrad
10-27-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm going to use Ultimate Compound then Ultimate Polish followed by the liquid wax.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AG Online