PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Interior

ARizzle
10-25-2012, 02:51 PM
My friend Ryan is starting to show more initiative in keeping his car clean (don't ask lol) and I have been giving him a few tips here and there. A few days ago, he told me this crazy story and wanted me to share it with everyone to hopefully get as much feedback and ideas as possible.

So bare with me because it's a little gross...

So my friend ryan likes to chew gum...a lot! And about a year ago, he left his already chewed gum in the door panel and left it there for over a year. He simply forgot about it, or when I reminded him, he procrastinated about removing it. It's a little over a year now since the start of this tragedy, and there is all kinds of stuff on this gum (hair, dirt, etc.). Sadly, because he is my best friend, I finally offered to help him remove this (I'm so guilty for not helping him before lol)...Unfortunately when i was inspecting this with a Nitrile glove, it was rock solid, didn't move at all when I was forcibly using my finger nails to dig under the pinkish solid. I tried various dilutions of OPC, and no luck at all. My friend would like to know...me also, what the best way to get rid of this...he suggested getting a flat-head screwdriver and placing a MF towel over it and gently scraping... but I said that might not be a good idea incase it scratches the bottom part of the plastic door handle cubby.

Anyways any advice will be great.

Thanks!

B-M-D
10-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Have him suck on the ball of gum for 1 hour to soften it up. He should then be able to use his tongue to pry it up without scratching. :xyxthumbs:

A-train
10-25-2012, 03:02 PM
I'd try goo gone and let it soften up before scraping.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Wors
10-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Do you have access to a steamer?

Y2KSVT
10-25-2012, 03:08 PM
This is one of those stories where you replace the word 'friend' with 'customer' and leave out the details. Now I'm going to think all my friends have hairy wads of gum in their door panels. :(

ARizzle
10-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Have him suck on the ball of gum for 1 hour to soften it up. He should then be able to use his tongue to pry it up without scratching. :xyxthumbs:

I was contemplating something along these lines ;)

I'd try goo gone and let it soften up before scraping.

I'm writing Goo-Gone down as a suggestion...thanks!
Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Do you have access to a steamer?

No, unfortunately I don't. Would something like a Mytee Lite help out in a situation like this?

This is one of those stories where you replace the word 'friend' with 'customer' and leave out the details. Now I'm going to think all my friends have hairy wads of gum in their door panels. :(

:laughing: I wish it were that easy Y2KSVT but "unfortunately" he's been a childhood friend of mine :p I feel as though if I don't figure a way to get this out, it could jeopardize our friendship...YES I said it...our friendship is hanging by the threads of a piece of gum...I'm kidding of course :laughing: