PDA

View Full Version : Marilyn's new pipes...

Pages : [1] 2 3

sportscarhiatus
10-25-2012, 07:06 AM
I was as giddy as a Walker at a Leper convention! (it's homage to The Walking Dead on AMC, for those of you in the know ;)).

This is what I saw Tuesday pm, on the Fedex site as I watched it and was clicking refresh every 15 minutes. LOL.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/pookie_wookie/delivered_zps2f47ed6f.jpg

So I took Tuesday pm off to perform some surgery on Marilyn. Finished the install in about 1.5 hours. After doing my GT500 mufflers the first time, I saved a lot of time by knowing where the bolts are and just how to move the mufflers around to easily access the bolts. I was actually done removing AND installing in under an hour. The extra 1/2 hour I needed was just to align and straighten the pipes out... I had to have EVERYthing lined up and perfect. lol.

Fit and finish were impressive. Definitely higher quality stuff than the GT500's I had on there. The quality of the welds and the material itself was top notch. Installation was a breeze...everything lined up.

Looks-wise, definitely better than my GT500s. The 4.5" opening with rolled tips looks so much more "finished"...like it belongs in those bumper cutouts.

Sound-wise... it's perfect. It's louder and a little bit deeper than the GT500's. It's louder by ~50%...which is exactly what I was looking for. On throttle, they really wake up. It sounds almost smoother than the GT500's? The brap-ap-pap sound is still there from the stock H pipe, but just revving it, it sounds smoother and "freer", if you will. I drove it a total of a 1/2 hour so far, since Tuesday :( schedule and weather are not cooperating.

So here are the pics and videos. The first pic is of the "stock" GT500 before I took it off. Compare it to the size and looks of the Borla. I dig the Borla more.

GT500
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/pookie_wookie/DSC_0088.jpg

Borla prior to alignment
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/pookie_wookie/DSC_0087-1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/pookie_wookie/DSC_0093-2plate.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/pookie_wookie/DSC_0094-1plate.jpg

And here are the short vids... I will need to take more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi_ehUv01Ww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OEPk2xIqjY

================================================== =================

flamed03vert
10-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Borla makes some top notch stuff! Car looks great as usual and now it sounds great too.

Ryry11
10-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Sounds good, love the rolled tips, makes it look more factory. I'm a gm guy, mainly chevy, but I gotta tell ya ford has done some amazing things with that mustang. I like the styling, moreso than the current camaro. I have an 02 camaro and that's the styling I like. If I wasn't such a diehard chevy guy I'd buy a mustang...yours looks great though, awesome color, great detailing, sounds good. Only thing missing is some long tubes...

vet
10-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Looking and sounding good!

dpscoupe
10-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Aggressive; sounds great! :props:

Nick McKees37
10-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Sounds great - nice job. :dblthumb2:

Mazda.Mark
10-25-2012, 09:23 AM
In.....Love.....

ChrisJ
10-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Love the coyotes

Chris's FX4
10-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Looks and sounds awesome man.:xyxthumbs:

You definitely get what you pay for with Borla, real high quality stuff.

Their tips definitely fill the rear valance very nice and look great.

Sound-wise... it's perfect. It's louder and a little bit deeper than the GT500's. It's louder by ~50%...which is exactly what I was looking for. On throttle, they really wake up. It sounds almost smoother than the GT500's? The brap-ap-pap sound is still there from the stock H pipe, but just revving it, it sounds smoother and "freer", if you will.

That's probably the best way I would describe it as well. It's smooth but still has the throatiness and aggressiveness.

Keep in mind that Borla works/researches with Ford, FRPP, Roush, and Shelby on some of their vehicles.

sportscarhiatus
10-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Borla makes some top notch stuff! Car looks great as usual and now it sounds great too.

thanks flamed.... yeah I never knew Borla was such high quality. I should have sprung for them the first time and ate the cost.

Sounds good, love the rolled tips, makes it look more factory. I'm a gm guy, mainly chevy, but I gotta tell ya ford has done some amazing things with that mustang. I like the styling, moreso than the current camaro. I have an 02 camaro and that's the styling I like. If I wasn't such a diehard chevy guy I'd buy a mustang...yours looks great though, awesome color, great detailing, sounds good. Only thing missing is some long tubes...

Yeah I much prefer the older camaros to these new ones. But what do I know :) The ZL1 will kick the shelby's rear anyday :(

but thank you for the kind words. The color I love.

Looking and sounding good!

Aggressive; sounds great! :props:

Sounds great - nice job. :dblthumb2:

In.....Love.....

Love the coyotes

Thanks guys... now you know why I fall in love with Marilyn every single day I see and drive her. Absolutely love my car... more so than my Z or G or Rx7 in the past.

pork chop
10-25-2012, 10:37 AM
The Neighbors are going to LOVE YOU :laughing::applause::goodjob2::cheers: sounds good to me.

Ray@Autogeek
10-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Sounds good, love the rolled tips, makes it look more factory. I'm a gm guy, mainly chevy, but I gotta tell ya ford has done some amazing things with that mustang. I like the styling, moreso than the current camaro. I have an 02 camaro and that's the styling I like. If I wasn't such a diehard chevy guy I'd buy a mustang...

+1

I'm an Fbody guy (ex 02 T/A owner), but Ford has been making me drool recently. Your Mustang sounds awesome, just sounds like pure quality. :xyxthumbs: Planning on any other upgrades?

sportscarhiatus
10-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Looks and sounds awesome man.:xyxthumbs:

You definitely get what you pay for with Borla, real high quality stuff.

Their tips definitely fill the rear valance very nice and look great.

That's probably the best way I would describe it as well. It's smooth but still has the throatiness and aggressiveness.

Keep in mind that Borla works/researches with Ford, FRPP, Roush, and Shelby on some of their vehicles.

And again, hearing it in person from my buddy who had one here in town, that's what sealed the deal. I mean, I heard it all from videos and saw pics of it. But when I saw and HEARD (I even drove his car, and listened to him take off), I was sold. I didn't even second guess my decision to get the Boss Quads instead. I was 100% sure I wanted these. The vids you guys are hearing make it sound 1/2 as good as it is. In person, they are insanely good. I wish I could hear it like the general public hears it outside of the car. Inside the car (since I'm driving it) sounds good, but I can never fully appreciate it :(

sportscarhiatus
10-25-2012, 11:01 AM
The Neighbors are going to LOVE YOU :laughing::applause::goodjob2::cheers: sounds good to me.

haha... they already do. I took the pm off yesterday in that vid, so no one was around. Heck I didn't even go past 3k rpm in that vid... and it already sounded that good.

I try to go easy on throttle in my neighborhood anyways :)

thanks for kind words tho.

+1

I'm an Fbody guy (ex 02 T/A owner), but Ford has been making me drool recently. Your Mustang sounds awesome, just sounds like pure quality. :xyxthumbs: Planning on any other upgrades?

Hi Ray.... yes, I came from imports all my life. When Ford came out with this new 5.0, and mags/editors were comparing it to the M3 at the time, I was already very intrigued. When I saw and drove one, it was game set match. Great car...

I have a lot of mods in her... just not in my sig (not enough space :))
borla s types
ford k springs
bmr panhard bar
mgw shifter
mrt hood struts
hoen fogs
vled switchbacks (next week) for drls

hmmm I might be missing a few...

oh, clear bra in majority of areas, and 35% tint.

Chris's FX4
10-25-2012, 11:05 AM
And again, hearing it in person from my buddy who had one here in town, that's what sealed the deal. I mean, I heard it all from videos and saw pics of it. But when I saw and HEARD (I even drove his car, and listened to him take off), I was sold. I didn't even second guess my decision to get the Boss Quads instead. I was 100% sure I wanted these. The vids you guys are hearing make it sound 1/2 as good as it is. In person, they are insanely good. I wish I could hear it like the general public hears it outside of the car. Inside the car (since I'm driving it) sounds good, but I can never fully appreciate it :(

I know the feeling. No matter how many videos I make of my truck, it just never sounds the same.:(