PDA

View Full Version : Question about polishing with the Porter Cable...

B-M-D
10-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Ok, I have not received my PCXP yet... it's currently being shipped. In the meantime, I have been watching a lot of videos on how to polish paint correctly.

I have a question...

I have seen several different videos with Mike Phillips, and each time he adds polish to the pad differently. One time he put the polish on the pad in a swirl, one time he did and "X" pattern, and another time he "primed the pad" by working some polish into the pores of the pad and then added two dime-sized blobs of polish on opposite ends of the pad. Sometimes I've even seen him add a bead of polish directly on the paint.

I'm wondering if these are all just different techniques and it really doesn't matter which one is used, or does the technique matter depending on the pad and polish?

The polish I have is Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0, btw..

bugeye
10-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Please first prime the pad. I use a small swirl and spread with a finger. Then three small dime sized dots. Remember to put the pad on the paint before turning on the DA. Practice, do a test area, and try different pads and products. The information on the AG site is tops and don't forget to get Mike's book The Art of Detailing.

Mike Phillips
10-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I have a question...

I have seen several different videos with Mike Phillips, and each time he adds polish to the pad differently. One time he put the polish on the pad in a swirl, one time he did and "X" pattern, and another time he "primed the pad" by working some polish into the pores of the pad and then added two dime-sized blobs of polish on opposite ends of the pad. Sometimes I've even seen him add a bead of polish directly on the paint.

I'm wondering if these are all just different techniques and it really doesn't matter which one is used, or does the technique matter depending on the pad and polish?

When I left Meguiar's and came to Autogeek I started out using the same technique we used at Meguiar's for all our training classes at the Corporate Office and all the way back to the 1990's out in the field. (I started out as a Trainer for Oregon, Washington and Northern Idaho).

Then long time friend and expert paint polisher Kevin Brown shared his technique now referred to as KBM or the Kevin Brown Method and to me it makes perfect sense, so I share his technique in most videos and if you read my how-to book I also gave him credit on page 61 as I make it a habit to never steal other people's ideas and claim them as my own. I'm a huge believer and practitioner of,

Due credit where credit is due...

I don't always see this reciprocated but I can't control other people...

See my article here...

How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html)

:)

B-M-D
10-25-2012, 06:03 PM
When I left Meguiar's and came to Autogeek I started out using the same technique we used at Meguiar's for all our training classes at the Corporate Office and all the way back to the 1990's out in the field. (I started out as a Trainer for Oregon, Washington and Northern Idaho).

Then long time friend and expert paint polisher Kevin Brown shared his technique now referred to as KBM or the Kevin Brown Method and to me it makes perfect sense, so I share his technique in most videos and if you read my how-to book I also gave him credit on page 61 as I make it a habit to never steal other people's ideas and claim them as my own. I'm a huge believer and practitioner of,

Due credit where credit is due...

I don't always see this reciprocated but I can't control other people...

See my article here...

How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html)

:)Thanks for the response. I read the article, and I have another question. Can you further explain this section here:

"Cut down on the amount of product AFTER pad is broken-in...
After your pad is broken in with product, clean your pad after each section pass and when you apply fresh product you can cut down on the amount of product you actually apply to the face of your pad. "

I must clean the pad after each section pass? A section pass is going over an area 1 time either horizontally or vertically, correct? So I would have to clean the pad about 6 times just to polish one area?

DaveT435
10-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the response. I read the article, and I have another question. Can you further explain this section here:

After your pad is broken in with product, clean your pad after each section pass and when you apply fresh product you can cut down on the amount of product you actually apply to the face of your pad. "

I must clean the pad after each section pass? A section pass is going over an area 1 time either horizontally or vertically, correct? So I would have to clean the pad about 6 times just to polish one area?

After each section...

cleanmycorolla
10-25-2012, 06:14 PM
After each section...

I sometimes do it after every two sections, each person varies obviously, thats why this is a fun hobby everyone has their own tweaks! but make sure to clean it often, you'll get more use out of the pad and product!:dblthumb2:

B-M-D
10-25-2012, 06:15 PM
After each section...That is what I figured but I guess I was confused with the wording.

DaveT435
10-25-2012, 06:18 PM
That is what I figured but I guess I was confused with the wording.

I understand...want to make sure and do it right. I usually clean every 2 sections...

swanicyouth
10-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Clean the pad each time before adding more polish. Also, its always a good idea to spray a fresh foam pad with 2 sprays (no more) of a pad conditioner (like the new Wolfgang Pad Conditioner) or a detail spray. This helps the pad buff smoother until the polish is evenly distributed and gives the polish a little more work time.

It doesn't matter how you add the polish too the pad, as long as you use the correct amount. You want the pad to be just slightly wet with polish when you've done 4-6 section passes. One pass is a line. A section pass is like moving the polisher in a shape that is like two "S" on top of each other.

If the pad is dry (when you have completed multiple section passes) or you are getting a ton of dust, you are overheating or over buffing (dry buffing) - or possible using too little polish.

c5errr
10-25-2012, 06:30 PM
most important things
never use a dry pad
never use a fully saturated pad <-cuz it will effect the rotation of the pad it will rotate weirdly

what i always do is using xmt pad conditioner with 3 to 4 small drops of polish

Johny B
10-25-2012, 07:08 PM
I use pad conditioner with 3 to 4 small drops of polish without any issue.
Johny.

Mike Phillips
10-26-2012, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the response. I read the article, and I have another question. Can you further explain this section here:

I must clean the pad after each section pass? A section pass is going over an area 1 time either horizontally or vertically, correct?

A section pass is buffing out the entire section you're tackling.

This is one of the first how-to article I wrote when coming to Autogeek and in it I wrote the definitions for pass and section pass. It's also one of the few articles I did NOT take my own photos, Yancy took these and resized them to 450 pixels wide, my norm is 800 pixels wide.

Step-by-Step How-To use the Porter Cable 7424XP (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19994-2008-lexus-250-pinnacle-detail.html)

The definition of a pass
There are two definitions of the word pass as it relates to machine polishing with any type of machine.

Single Pass
A single pass is just that, it's when you move the polisher from one side of the section you're buffing to the other side of the section you're buffing. That's a single pass.

Section Pass
A section pass is when you move the polisher back and forth, or front to back with enough single overlapping passes to cover the entire section one time. That's a section pass.

I usually clean every 2 sections...

That's what I usually do to, depends upon the type of paint and the condition too...

In a perfect world, if a person wanted to do everything as best as they possibly could, then they would clean their pad after each section they buffed out to remove spent product and removed paint. This would also make the job take longer, so most people find a balance of cleaning and buffing.

Good questions...

:xyxthumbs: