PDA

View Full Version : Difficult time selecting products?

Pages : [1] 2

.brian.
10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. I will try to make this as painless as possible.

A little background on me first. I have been "detailing" my cars by hand for about 10 years now, using your basic OTC products. My cars always look "good" but I am coming to a point where I want them to look better.

I recently purchased a GG Random Orbital and a variety of pads. Now comes the point where I need to decide on some products. I have searched the forums, read the reviews for products, etc, and still can't decide on what the heck to buy (I am a very indecisive person).

To cut to the chase, my criteria includes the following:
1) "Budget-friendly" products (I am not looking to spend $30+ on a wax or polish)
2) Products that are "noob" friendly (this will be my first time using a polisher)
3) The ability to be used in the sun (I try to find shade, but the lack of a garage makes it tough)

I really thought had my mind set on the Pinnacle XMT line, specifically the Swirl Remover #3 and #1. For a sealant, I was looking at Poorboy's EX-P, and for a wax Collinite 845 (this will give you an idea of my definition of "budget-friendly").

The problem is that now I have also started looking at the Duragloss line, and that has me second guessing myself.

I know choosing products comes down to personal preference, but based on the criteria above, is there more of a reason for me to choose my first option over the Duragloss products? Or maybe there is something else I should consider?

Sorry for the lengthy post.

-Brian

swanicyouth
10-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. I will try to make this as painless as possible.

A little background on me first. I have been "detailing" my cars by hand for about 10 years now, using your basic OTC products. My cars always look "good" but I am coming to a point where I want them to look better.

I recently purchased a GGDAP and a variety of pads. Now comes the point where I need to decide on some products. I have searched the forums, read the reviews for products, etc, and still can't decide on what the heck to buy (I am a very indecisive person).

To cut to the chase, my criteria includes the following:
1) "Budget-friendly" products (I am not looking to spend $30+ on a wax or polish)

The best looking CHEAPEST wax IMHO is S100. It's basically the same as P21S Concours. It's less than $20.00. Sealants can pretty much be had for free if your an Auto Geek shopper. Place an order over $50.00 and you have a choice of samples. Get a sample of Black Fire All Finish Paint Protection or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. They will give you a 2 ounce sample. That should be 3 applications if applied correctly to a normal car.

Everyone else hear will recommend a Collinite Wax in that price range. They are fine and last a long time, but the S100 is super easy to work with and is a good wax to start with if you have only used OTC products.

Polishes? Either Optimum or Wolfgang. They both work great and are easy to use.

2) Products that are "noob" friendly (this will be my first time using a DA)
3) The ability to be used in the sun (I try to find shade, but the lack of a garage makes it tough)

PoorBoys says their products can be used in the sun. They are also reasonably priced. Their products are pretty good, but not the best wax and polish in the price range IMHO.

Really it's hard to detail in the sun. Any products will work much better in a garage or in the shade. Not to mention, dirt and particles are always blowing on your surface.

I really thought had my mind set on the Pinnacle XMT line, specifically the Swirl Remover #3 and #1. For a sealant, I was looking at Poorboy's EX-P, and for a wax Collinite 845 (this will give you an idea of my definition of "budget-friendly").

The problem is that now I have also started looking at the Duragloss line, and that has me second guessing myself.

I don't think Duragloss makes a real swirl remover polishes. If your trying to correct real defects, its likely you will need a stand alone polish, not an All in One product. Duragloss sealants that are AIO are primarily paint cleaners combined with a sealant. It depends how bad the finish you are working in is though. If you just want a paint cleaner and a sealant Duragloss "Polishes" are great.

BobbyG
10-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey Brian!

:welcome: To Autogeek Online!

There are a few product lines that fill your description quite well and are top performers. The three lines below are outstanding performers and will not empty your wallet.

BlackFire
Duragloss
PoorBoy's

Many products can be used in the sun because it's the surface temperature rather than the ultraviolet rays themselves. Working the finish in the morning or late afternoon when the suns the lowest is an ideal time keeping the temperature as low as possible.

A portable collapsible "tent" is another option that is relatively inexpensive and easily stored when not in use...

mwoolfso
10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Don't worry about second-guessing yourself. You will do well with whatever you start off with. My personal preference with your list of products would be Duragloss and Collinite. They have small bottles so if you want to purchase something else in the future you are not leaving a lot of $$$ on the shelf. With 105, 501 and 605 you can use them straight up or mix and match them to your liking, and with a wax like 845 you are rock solid for years if you are doing 1-2 cars.

Hoytman
10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Welcome to our great forum Brian.

I wouldn't get to terribly caught up on products. Virtually every product AG sells are good products, really.

However, you can't really go wrong with the Duragloss line. DG 105 as a sealant can stand on it's own for a good length of time, but you could also add your Collonite wax of choice and have even more protection. This of course isn't something I've tried yet, but it is highly recommended on this forum. Notice I didn't say I haven't used either product, as I actually have used them. Just not in combination (DG and 845).

I've been having some trouble posting photo's and hope to get it resolved tomorrow, but I have a coupld of test spots photographed that I did on a dark blue metallic paint that was badly stained. Both products xmt vs. DG501/601) seemed about even as far as their cleaning ability with identicle pads. Both were smooth to the touch...super smooth. I did notice faster sheeting with the XMT 360 immediately after application (as in 3 minutes after checking by free flowing water from hose), but beading was and still is better on the DG 501/601 side. However, I elected to go with Duragloss simply because of reports touting better longevity. The XMT smells better if that matters to you.

I wouldn't be afraid of either product. Also, as of right now I couldn't single one product out as better than the other until more observation is done by me. That's as fair as I know how to explain it. Just jump in with both feet and get one. If you apply them often enough it really won't matter which one you go with anyhow. Right?

Your choice of xmt 3 and 1 are good choices if that's what you choose, but you'll need a sealant and/or wax as well.

Bill1234
10-24-2012, 06:12 PM
A main product for noobs to get is ultimate compound. It does not dry up as much as m105 and has a little less cut. I would go with 845 by collinite as you can get alot out of it.

Another is zep citrus. It is simple to use and very reasonable at 11 dollars. You would put half water and half zep to create a strong apc (all purpose cleaner )

.brian.
10-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the fast reply guys!

The best looking CHEAPEST wax IMHO is S100. It's basically the same as P21S Concours. It's less than $20.00. Sealants can pretty much be had for free if your an Auto Geek shopper. Place an order over $50.00 and you have a choice of samples. Get a sample of Black Fire All Finish Paint Protection or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. They will give you a 2 ounce sample. That should be 3 applications if applied correctly to a normal car.

Is the S100 available in liquid, or paste only? I forgot to mention I was trying to stay with a liquid wax (at least for now). I plan on placing my order here, and it would certainly be more than $50 :lol: I was looking at both of those (Black Fire and Wolfgang) but a little more than I am looking to spend now, so the 2oz sample would be nice. But you say that would be enough for 3 applications? From the videos I have watched, I know you use it sparingly, but sheesh, I didn't think 2oz would be enough for 2 details! Good to know.

PoorBoys says their products can be used in the sun. They are also reasonably priced. Their products are pretty good, but not the best wax and polish in the price range IMHO.

Really it's hard to detail in the sun. Any products will work much better in a garage or in the shade. Not to mention, dirt and particles are always blowing on your surface.

Yea, that is why I was really interested in the line. I had also looked at Adam's, but people on the forum have some mixed reviews, saying they are just rebottled, and you can get more for your money with other brands.

And yes, I know! I have a tough time, so I try to have to get up really early, or work later in the afternoon, or move my car onto my patio (which gives me sun, but I have to move my grill, patio furniture, fire pit, etc) which is a pain!

I don't think Duragloss makes a real swirl remover polishes. If your trying to correct real defects, its likely you will need a stand alone polish, not an All in One product. Duragloss sealants that are AIO are primarily paint cleaners combined with a sealant. It depends how bad the finish you are working in is though. If you just want a paint cleaner and a sealant Duragloss "Polishes" are great.

Noted. Thank you.

.brian.
10-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Hey Brian!

:welcome: To Autogeek Online!

There are a few product lines that fill your description quite well and are top performers. The three lines below are outstanding performers and will not empty your wallet.

BlackFire
Duragloss
PoorBoy's

Many products can be used in the sun because it's the surface temperature rather than the ultraviolet rays themselves. Working the finish in the morning or late afternoon when the suns the lowest is an ideal time keeping the temperature as low as possible.

A portable collapsible "tent" is another option that is relatively inexpensive and easily stored when not in use...

Thanks Bobby! BlackFire was one that I was looking at, but they are just a little more than I wanted to spend right now. Also, the Poorboy's was another line that I was interested in. I always try to work early morning/late afternoon for that reason. I have considered one of those tents, and it might be something I pick up this spring. Thanks!

DaveT435
10-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Polishes? Either Optimum or Wolfgang. They both work great and are easy to use.

I agree. If your paint is in pretty good shape the Optimum hyper polish is a very versatile product. Use it with a cutting pad and it's got pretty good cut...use it with a polishing pad and it finishes fantastic. No need for a final polish. You can use Optimum final polish...but I think you would be very pleased with the finish of the hyper polish. Do you have any pictures of your paint??

.brian.
10-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Don't worry about second-guessing yourself. You will do well with whatever you start off with. My personal preference with your list of products would be Duragloss and Collinite. They have small bottles so if you want to purchase something else in the future you are not leaving a lot of $$$ on the shelf. With 105, 501 and 605 you can use them straight up or mix and match them to your liking, and with a wax like 845 you are rock solid for years if you are doing 1-2 cars.

I do it all the time! I am probably the most indecisive person you will meet, which is obviously not good when you have a plethora of options for products like you do on here! I will certainly look at 105, 501, and 605. I guess my only concern is that swanicyouth said Duragloss doesn't really make any swirl removers, and I do have some light swirling that I would like to correct. I use the 2 bucket method already, so the paint isn't horrible by any means.

.brian.
10-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Sorry guys, I have to run to pick up my son, but I will be back later today or tomorrow to get to the rest of the replies! Can't believe so many people responded already! :you guys rock:

.brian.
10-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Welcome to our great forum Brian.

I wouldn't get to terribly caught up on products. Virtually every product AG sells are good products, really.

However, you can't really go wrong with the Duragloss line. DG 105 as a sealant can stand on it's own for a good length of time, but you could also add your Collonite wax of choice and have even more protection. This of course isn't something I've tried yet, but it is highly recommended on this forum. Notice I didn't say I haven't used either product, as I actually have used them. Just not in combination (DG and 845).

I've been having some trouble posting photo's and hope to get it resolved tomorrow, but I have a coupld of test spots photographed that I did on a dark blue metallic paint that was badly stained. Both products xmt vs. DG501/601) seemed about even as far as their cleaning ability with identicle pads. Both were smooth to the touch...super smooth. I did notice faster sheeting with the XMT 360 immediately after application (as in 3 minutes after checking by free flowing water from hose), but beading was and still is better on the DG 501/601 side. However, I elected to go with Duragloss simply because of reports touting better longevity. The XMT smells better if that matters to you.

I wouldn't be afraid of either product. Also, as of right now I couldn't single one product out as better than the other until more observation is done by me. That's as fair as I know how to explain it. Just jump in with both feet and get one. If you apply them often enough it really won't matter which one you go with anyhow. Right?

Your choice of xmt 3 and 1 are good choices if that's what you choose, but you'll need a sealant and/or wax as well.

Thanks Hoytman! Sounds like DG105 as a sealant might overtake Poorboy's EX-P. And I am pretty set on Collonite 845 as my wax. Ahhh, so many choices, so little time!

A main product for noobs to get is ultimate compound. It does not dry up as much as m105 and has a little less cut. I would go with 845 by collinite as you can get alot out of it.

Another is zep citrus. It is simple to use and very reasonable at 11 dollars. You would put half water and half zep to create a strong apc (all purpose cleaner )

This brings up another interesting point. I was also looking at Meg's M105 and M205, but some of the reviews said there is somewhat of a learning curve, so I kind of backtracked and wrote them off the list for now. I will have to look at the Zep Citrus, have not heard of this one yet.

I agree. If your paint is in pretty good shape the Optimum hyper polish is a very versatile product. Use it with a cutting pad and it's got pretty good cut...use it with a polishing pad and it finishes fantastic. No need for a final polish. You can use Optimum final polish...but I think you would be very pleased with the finish of the hyper polish. Do you have any pictures of your paint??

I would consider it to be in pretty good shape to be honest with you. I mean, I have been using the 2 bucket method (no grit guards, but going to order them) along with clay bar, and then the Meguiar's 3 Step OTC system. Sure it isn't perfect, but it is certainly not neglected. I will try to get some pics this weekend. But yet another contender appears! Ahhhhh.

.brian.
10-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Not that anyone cares, but I think I have made a decision, and I am sticking with it! Thanks for all of the input guys.

Grit Guard x 2
Duragloss 902 Car Wash Concentrate
Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay kit
Wolfgang Swirl Remover 3.0 (more than I really wanted to spend, but prep is the most important part, right?)
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 (again, more than I really wanted to spend)
Duragloss 111 Clear Coat Polish
Collonite 845
Optimum Opti Bond Tire Gel
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
303 Aerospace Protectant

Apparently there are some pretty good deals to be had around Black Friday/Christmas, so I may wait to order until then (which of course gives me more time to debate on if I made the right decision on products or not :P )

WRAPT C5Z06
10-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Not that anyone cares, but I think I have made a decision, and I am sticking with it! Thanks for all of the input guys.

Grit Guard x 2
Duragloss 902 Car Wash Concentrate
Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay kit
Wolfgang Swirl Remover 3.0 (more than I really wanted to spend, but prep is the most important part, right?)
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 (again, more than I really wanted to spend)
Duragloss 111 Clear Coat Polish
Collonite 845
Optimum Opti Bond Tire Gel
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
303 Aerospace Protectant

Apparently there are some pretty good deals to be had around Black Friday/Christmas, so I may wait to order until then (which of course gives me more time to debate on if I made the right decision on products or not :P )
Excellent choices, overall!! If your paint isn't beat to hell, the polishes will work great!

RMM
10-25-2012, 08:33 PM
You have choosen a nice assortment.
I think you are missing a nice wash mitt (this one Merino wool wash mitt, auto wash mitt, sheepskin wash mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html) is excellent), some brushes (Daytona Speed Master Two Brush Combo, wheel brushes, detailing brush, auto detail brush (http://www.autogeek.net/daytona-speed-master-brushes.html) , Mothers Tire, Wheel & Well Brush Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-tire-wheel-well-brush-kit.html)), applicators (Lake country ccs applicators, wax applicator, sealant applicator (http://www.autogeek.net/red-ccs-applicators.html) , 12 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/12pack7.html) , tire foam applicators, tire swipe (http://www.autogeek.net/tire-applicator.html)) and a lot of MF (for drying, for glass, to remove polishes, LSP, work on the interior, etc).
You should also get something like Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html) or Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate, concentrated waterless auto wash, waterless car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-waterless-wash-concentrate.html) : it has a lot of uses, from making QD, clay lube, etc.