PDA

View Full Version : TireRack Steel Wheels Clearcoated?

Speed-Dude
10-24-2012, 12:24 AM
I ordered a set of michelin x-ice xi3 winter tires for the coming winters. Honestly i'm really excited to try them out with my new subbie :D. I was kind of torn between buying some cheep alloys and a set of even cheaper steel wheels. Ultimately I chose the steel wheel route :/ mixed feelings on it. It will be arriving around end of november or so.

What i'm wondering is are the steel wheels going to be clear coated? They say they are black painted but i always see so many people with horrible wheels. If they are coated what would you guys suggest I go about doing to the to prep for winter. What i have that could possibly be used are klasse ail, meguiars ulw, and a sample of wg dgps I haven't opened yet. Any tips would be great thanks!

On a side note I really like meguiar's ultimate liquid wax for what it's worth. Applied my second layer saturday after an onr and it rained today I was able to get this pretty picture :).

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a580/vikcity25/IMG_1817_zpsce8eb7d8.jpg

Setec Astronomy
10-24-2012, 06:27 AM
I'm glad they are back to having steelies at TireRack...last time I looked at a set of winter wheels/tires they only had alloys, I presumed because they had gotten so cheap there wasn't much price difference.

I don't think they will be cleared. The KAIO will be a good base, and you could top it with either of the sealants you mentioned...I would go with the Meg's because I can't see using an expensive sealant like WGDGPS over the Meg's on steelies.

Make sure in the spring you clean them up good and prep them before you put them away, then they will be all ready for the first snow the next year!

UCD
10-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm getting black steelies as well. I'll OC them, don't want any rust spots. We'll see if it helps though :)

Jomax
10-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I sometimes wish we had a real winter. Looks fun to have to swap tires for winter. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Setec Astronomy
10-24-2012, 11:06 AM
I sometimes wish we had a real winter. Looks fun to have to swap tires for winter. Lol

Laugh it up :p

Speed-Dude
10-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Ohhhh well that's a real turn off there's no clear coat. Would it be worth it getting some cheap 90-100 dollar wheels? Considering the delay and the fact that there's a new sale $70 rebate on michelins right now it'd probably be a 80-90 dollar difference of switching. What i'm wondering is even though there's no salt here only gravel will it be fairly easy to keep them taken care of?

Setec Astronomy
10-24-2012, 12:00 PM
If you don't have any salt, I wouldn't worry too much about the steelies rusting, just put some LSP on them and clean them up good in the spring before you put them away, and make sure they are dry.