PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on interior plastic stain

ShinyRex
10-21-2012, 08:02 PM
So I finally got around to cleaning up my interior after a long road trip and I found a spot I am having trouble with so I figured i'd ask on a few forums and see if anyone has some advice.
My wife spilled a little bit of a drink (it is either coffee or diet coke) on the interior door panel which is a trextured black plastic. I've tried APC (CG Nonsense at 20:1 and 10:1) and DP exterior cleanse all and nothing seems to affect it.
I tried to scrub it with both MF and a stiff brush but at this point I haven't had much luck, any thoughts?
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac18/edwardo1/InteriorStain.jpg

y8s
10-21-2012, 08:42 PM
sodas are full of acids. it may have etched it a bit.

A-train
10-21-2012, 09:25 PM
You could try 1Z deep plastic cleaner, or if you know anyone that has a steamer.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ShinyRex
10-21-2012, 09:51 PM
You could try 1Z deep plastic cleaner, or if you know anyone that has a steamer.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I have a steamer but didnt think to try it, ill take a shot at it tomorrow.

i also might try a little solution finish on the bottom where you cant see it to see if the color will match. I dont care so much if it is etched as long as it blends in a little better.

ihaveacamaro
10-22-2012, 12:07 AM
I was about say try solution finish. It cut through wax on my exterior plastic like no other! You might want to do the whole door though, as it will look really noticeably darker where you have applied it.

Slicer
10-23-2012, 10:28 PM
I hear a Mr Clean Magic Eraser works well on textured plastics.

EWtheDETAILER
10-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Try a little diluted degreaser or even some wash soap and a wheel brush or something with a little stiffer brissel but nothing too hard that will scratch the plastic... almost always does the job and its a cheap quick fix! Be sure to put some protectant over it once removed!

RMM
10-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Do you have Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel, interior cleaner, upholstery cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-shampoo.html) ?
I have been using it lately and it works quite nicely.
Another very good option:
Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner 17 oz. New & Improved! (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-power-clean-apc.html)
I wouldn't try Solution Finish as a first option: the darkening effect is very noticeable, as ihaveacamaro has said.

ShinyRex
10-24-2012, 08:39 PM
I was about say try solution finish. It cut through wax on my exterior plastic like no other! You might want to do the whole door though, as it will look really noticeably darker where you have applied it.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am starting to thin the plastic may have a permanent stain as nothing seemed to touch it. I eventually went with a really light coating of solution finish and so far it matches the rest of the door when it is coated with 303. The dark color of the plastic may be Subaru's only saving grace to the cheap plastic interior.

Since it is my car and my wife is bound to spill something else eventually I am happy with the current results and I am going to stop messing with it.

RhetoricMixes
10-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Weird how your nonsense wouldn't get rid of it. I use it at those two dilutions you listed and it removes stains like the one you have.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

y8s
10-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I am starting to thin the plastic may have a permanent stain as nothing seemed to touch it. I eventually went with a really light coating of solution finish and so far it matches the rest of the door when it is coated with 303. The dark color of the plastic may be Subaru's only saving grace to the cheap plastic interior.

Since it is my car and my wife is bound to spill something else eventually I am happy with the current results and I am going to stop messing with it.

soak the rest of the panel in coke and coffee.

ShinyRex
10-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Weird how your nonsense wouldn't get rid of it. I use it at those two dilutions you listed and it removes stains like the one you have.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I've always had great success with nonsense but I think this might be more akin to etching and not a stain that could be why I couldn't remove it. If I had gotten to it right when it happened it probably wouldn't have been an issue.