PDA

View Full Version : A Crazy AG member...ME!

Pages : [1] 2

turbos17
04-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Today it is raining. I had a full detail lined up for with my neighbor’s 350z (I did a few months ago as my first detail). However months since then it has gotten white over spray on it and scratches and swirls marks. So he is asking me to do it again. (Pics will be up tomorrow). However since it is raining I decided to do something even better.

After numerous recommendations from other forum members I decided to give my local Big Lots a look. I headed in thinking they weren’t going to have anything. To my surprise this is what I come out with (see link below).

3-Meguiars Tire Cleaner @ $2.50-this will be used for the wheel wells, for customers who want shinning tires, and for the under the hood detail and baking process.
1-Bug & Tar Remover @ $1.30-this stuff is amazing and its name explains it all.
1-Applicator pads (2 per pack) @ $1.30
1-Meguiars Tire Brush @ $3.99
1-Big Red Creeper Seat @15.00-this will be used to save the knees and back while detailing low on vehicles. (it also comes in all black)

Total-$27.99 w/o tax (I also bought some other stuff for around the house)

I would highly recommend people to stop by there local Big Lots, because they will save you a ton of $$$ and make you more $$$ when you are doing your detailing. Thanks to all who recommended them!

My next stop was to Sears to get the Professional 100ft. black rubber hose. It was on sale for under $40 w/ tax…too lazy to go find the receipt. Once I got home I hooked it up and was immediately disappointed…but after some thought I didn’t uncoil in properly and I had a 100ft. mess in the pouring rain. Took about 10 min. to get it all untangled…I would highly recommend two people or taking your time to get it straight. Once hooked up and I turned up the water I got to work….

Since I couldn’t do a full detail due to Mother Nature giving us her rain I decided…what better way to try out the new hose I just bought from Sears, my new Gore-tex authentic Marine jacket, Gore-tex Columbia hiking boots, and my waterproof snowboard pants. (See link below).

video - Video of rain wash - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/turo17/?action=view&current=MVI_2139.flv)

So I washed my truck in the full down pouring rain. I gotta say that this was actually fun. The hose was superb and you do get what you pay for. It was so smooth in your hands, it doesn’t get stuck under tires when pulling around car. It seemed like it just glided past the tires (however the rain on the hose and wet ground could have helped). Will have to do a further review in the summer heat. Rolling up the hose was a PIA. I am assuming since the hose is still new it will take some time to get out the nature coil of the hose that it came from the factory with. About half way through the hose became very easy to roll up, boy is a 100ft a lot of hose. (See pics of how long this thing is).

Pics-1177104609.pbw - Slideshow - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/turo17/?action=view&current=1177104609.pbw)

Video- Video of after wash - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/turo17/?action=view&current=MVI_2145.flv)

The Gore-tex Marine jacket and Columbia Black Rock XRC boots held up amazing in the rain. It was a steady rain for the two hours I was outside. I actually had to unclog a rain gutter with the new hose too before I washed my truck. As far a my Vans snowboard pants the did pretty darn well too, considering they are over 8 years old. After I was all done I came out of the rain very dry…except for my hands and arms that hand to go in the buckets to get the ShMitt soapy and rinsed. All in all it was my first wash in the rain and I stayed 90% dry. After my wash I assembled the Big Red Creeper seat (took 5 min.). This thing is a little tank for $15 and I would probably buy another one. Granted I am 5’9” 165lbs and it fits me extremely well. The only downside is that there is no hydraulic lift, but I can’t complain for $15. I would highly recommend all of the products that were used in this non-scientific experiment. Thoughts and comments!

ScottB
04-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Im glad to see someone else has admitted to washing a car in the rain. Up until now, my wife thought I was the only one !

Sevenrd
04-20-2007, 09:48 PM
I enjoyed the videos and slide show. Good stuff.

Great price on the stool as well. I think my Shop Boss was something like $60 and looks pretty similar to the one you got.

Nica
04-20-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm with you on this one my friend, I'm too guilty of washing my vehicles when it is raining....lol...just wicked!!

ltoman
04-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Oh my - add me to that list guys......

Gary Sword
04-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Nice videos Turbos. I don't mind washing my car in the rain as long as it's not cold. Drying it off in the rain can be a problem.

Nuke33
04-20-2007, 10:39 PM
I love biglots!

FloridaNative
04-20-2007, 10:52 PM
I've washed my car in the rain too! :p

sapple89
04-20-2007, 11:13 PM
what part of socal are you in? there was a lot of rain today

i just washed my car an hour ago (in the rain)

tonyspop
04-20-2007, 11:56 PM
I've washed my car in the rain too! :pRaises hand;) Me too:o

turbos17
04-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't get a chance to clay it but I gonna clay it on Sunday after a quick detail. Probably not going to have a chance to polish it either...as my other neighbor just asked for a wash and wax job = $40.

what part of socal are you in? there was a lot of rain today

i just washed my car an hour ago (in the rain)

I am in Downey. About 15 min. from Los Angeles and 20 min. from Long Beach or Huntington Beach. It did rain a ton today. I am pretty sure it was over an inch, because it was steady and hard for periods at a time all day. Now at 10:21 pm it is all calm and very nice at 51 degrees.

orngez
04-21-2007, 12:43 AM
haha...guilty of a garage wash myself today......luckily i have a 2 car garage that only my car uses...plenty of room and i can enjoy the fruits of my labor rain free :) ...one of my neighbors looked at me like i was crazy for cleaning my car on a rainy day...then asked if i could do hers in her garage....go figure....i made a quick 50 bucks though :)

orngez
04-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't get a chance to clay it but I gonna clay it on Sunday after a quick detail. Probably not going to have a chance to polish it either...as my other neighbor just asked for a wash and wax job = $40.

I am in Downey. About 15 min. from Los Angeles and 20 min. from Long Beach or Huntington Beach. It did rain a ton today. I am pretty sure it was over an inch, because it was steady and hard for periods at a time all day. Now at 10:21 pm it is all calm and very nice at 51 degrees.

thats cool you are in downey...im over in pasadena/arcadia area just 30 min away...

Sevenrd
04-21-2007, 12:58 AM
thats cool you are in downey...im over in pasadena/arcadia area just 30 min away...
Wow. We're right next door.

Glad to see the rain let up for the weekend. No details planned for the weekend, but I may spend a little time on my own car on Sunday. I've been spending more time on other people's cars than my own lately. It could use a light polishing and I have a couple new carnaubas I want to try out.

orngez
04-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Wow. We're right next door.

Glad to see the rain let up for the weekend. No details planned for the weekend, but I may spend a little time on my own car on Sunday. I've been spending more time on other people's cars than my own lately. It could use a light polishing and I have a couple new carnaubas I want to try out.
you so cali guys every want to meet up and trade products let me know...if you have a detailing job like a motor home or something big and need an extra hand let me know..my old detailing partner lives in sd so its to far for him to drive up....and motor homes are where the real money can be at but its a hard one man job...i've had to turn down a few :(