PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle's Black Onyx Tire Dressing

addysdaddy
10-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing is another new offering from the Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Line of products. As usual, I'll leave all the technology components & high tech explanations of polymer technology to those who know and rather concentrate on the product from a users point of view.

http://addysdaddy.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v65/p1204138726-6.jpg

Typically when I reach for a tire dressing I like it to be in gel form. It's been my experience that gels tend to last longer, are easier to apply and generally less messy because of that. So when I reached for this spray tire dressing, I wasn't particularly excited. Per the instructions, I sprayed the form applicator first using very little product and then applied it to the tire. Like all sprays, need to be careful of dripping product onto the rims, but since using little product this didn't seem to be an issue. Black Onyx finishes somewhere between a lustre & glossy look but certainly not wet which I don't care for at all. For me, I want the tires to look "new" and if you can't tell I applied dressing, all the better.

My normal routine consists of scrubbing the tires with APC & a MF pad at the curb first, washing the rims & barrels on all four corners and then using a two bucket washing method for the paint. This photo shows the wheels & tires cleaned & dried after the APC scrubbing
http://addysdaddy.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v62/p1204138738.jpg

For illustration purposes I taped off the wheel and only applied Black Onyx to the left side while leaving the right free of any dressing. Hopefully you can see the sheen Black Onyx imparts to the rubber.
http://addysdaddy.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v73/p1204138756.jpg
Then I removed the tape and applied the dressing for the full effect.
http://addysdaddy.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v71/p1204138770.jpg

Summary
What I really liked about this product is how little chemical you needed for each wheel. Everyone has their own take on whether they like a matte, lustre or glossy finish - but I found the finish to be quite nice. Not sure how long the product will last but since my DD gets washed every weekend & the tires treated, longevity isn't a concern for me. YMMV obviously but the product was easy and quick to use, coverage was even & not splotchy and IMO, left the tires looking very good. In the liquid spray tire dressing category, I believe Pinnacle has a winner with Black Onyx.

Shane731
10-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Lookin' good! Few questions.

1. How does it compare to the previous version of Black Onyx?

2. What does it look like (color, consistency)?

3. What does it smell like?

Thanks!

hoyt66
10-19-2012, 03:53 AM
Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing is another new offering from the Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Line of products. As usual, I'll leave all the technology components & high tech explanations of polymer technology to those who know and rather concentrate on the product from a users point of view.

Typically when I reach for a tire dressing I like it to be in gel form. It's been my experience that gels tend to last longer, are easier to apply and generally less messy because of that. So when I reached for this spray tire dressing, I wasn't particularly excited. Per the instructions, I sprayed the form applicator first using very little product and then applied it to the tire. Like all sprays, need to be careful of dripping product onto the rims, but since using little product this didn't seem to be an issue. Black Onyx finishes somewhere between a lustre & glossy look but certainly not wet which I don't care for at all. For me, I want the tires to look "new" and if you can't tell I applied dressing, all the better.

My normal routine consists of scrubbing the tires with APC & a MF pad at the curb first, washing the rims & barrels on all four corners and then using a two bucket washing method for the paint. This photo shows the wheels & tires cleaned & dried after the APC scrubbing

For illustration purposes I taped off the wheel and only applied Black Onyx to the left side while leaving the right free of any dressing. Hopefully you can see the sheen Black Onyx imparts to the rubber.

Then I removed the tape and applied the dressing for the full effect.
http://addysdaddy.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v71/p1204138770.jpg

Summary
What I really liked about this product is how little chemical you needed for each wheel. Everyone has their own take on whether they like a matte, lustre or glossy finish - but I found the finish to be quite nice. Not sure how long the product will last but since my DD gets washed every weekend & the tires treated, longevity isn't a concern for me. YMMV obviously but the product was easy and quick to use, coverage was even & not splotchy and IMO, left the tires looking very good. In the liquid spray tire dressing category, I believe Pinnacle has a winner with Black Onyx.

Thanks for the review. I was just looking at this product. I think I'll try it.

Bunky
10-19-2012, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the review. Even clean (no dressing), the tires look great. It looks like a nice rich (slightly wet) look without looking coated.

addysdaddy
10-19-2012, 05:42 AM
Lookin' good! Few questions.

1. How does it compare to the previous version of Black Onyx?

2. What does it look like (color, consistency)?

3. What does it smell like?

Thanks!

1. Hadn't tried the previous version.
2. Consistency is like skim milk. Color is accurate in my photo
3. Smell is a sore topic with me - since I don't seem to have that ability except in extreme cases. Speak to Nick, he's got a nose for this stuff. haha. Kidding aside, he's very sensitive to fragarence and would be the one to ask.

Pats300zx
10-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Great review. Can't wait to give this a try along with the new Pinnacle APC.

addysdaddy
10-19-2012, 06:38 AM
For a spray dressing, it's quite good. The new APC is really worth giving a try. As good if not better then the other highline APCs out there. Frankly I was shocked at how well it cleaned that carpet matte cut 5/1.

Twister
10-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Very nice review.

I liked the old dressing and still have a full bottle in my cabinet.

Shane731
10-19-2012, 11:25 AM
2. Consistency is like skim milk. Color is accurate in my photo

I was referring to the color of the product itself.

Nick McKees37
10-19-2012, 12:03 PM
I was referring to the color of the product itself.

Two different products. Black Onyx Tire Dressing is not replacing Black Onyx Tire Gel.

Black Onyx Tire Dressing (Spray) is yellow in color. Black Onyx Tire Gel is red in color. They both smell delicious.

:dblthumb2:

addysdaddy
10-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Two different products. Black Onyx Tire Dressing is not replacing Black Onyx Tire Gel.

Black Onyx Tire Dressing (Spray) is yellow in color. Black Onyx Tire Gel is red in color. They both smell delicious.

:dblthumb2:

And the nose knows :props:

addysdaddy
10-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Just to follow up, seems like the new Black Onyx Tire Dressing lasts about a week and we didn't have much rain here in south Florida. With that said, I like how the product finishes and it's extremely easy to apply while using minimum amount of liquid. Did a head to head with Opti Bond Gel this weekend on the wife's SUV, so I'll report back her impressions once she gets a look at the tires in the sunlight. And trust me, she's a tough cookie to impress. haha