PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! Did my VX5000 Break Today???

ozziepuppy
10-18-2012, 07:36 PM
I just got the VX5000 a few months ago. I was using it in one room of my house today and went into another area for about an hour and a half. When I returned, I saw that it was empty of water (top light was on). No biggie, right? But then I noticed two other things. There was a small puddle of water under the steamer, AND the pressure gauge window was covered in condensation on the inside. I turned it off, let it cool down, and took off the screw cap. It has been several more hours and you still can't see the pressure gauge due to the heavy condensation inside. I have ONLY used distilled water since I got it. I was going to call the company but they are closed right now. It was a big decision to spend this much money on a steamer and I am wondering if it has broken after a few short months. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there an easy fix? Is it normal (I can't imagine it is). Any advice? Of course I will call the company tomorrow but I fear the best case scenario will involve packing it up and paying a lot of shipping costs and the worst case scenario will involve having wasted a whole lot of money.:mad:

Woob
10-18-2012, 08:15 PM
No need to jump to conclusions, just email the company rep right away. This unit has been used in many other detail companies. While it isn't a full detachable design (as in each component cannot be repaired easily), there should be fix since it isnt a basic consumer grade model.

Flash Gordon
10-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Did you run the unit for an hour dry? That doesn't sound like a good idea imo lol

What kind of warranty do they give?

ozziepuppy
10-19-2012, 10:21 AM
I talked to the company and I am sending it in for repair. I guess there isn't any "quick fix" I can do on my own. Thanks for the replies.

Billy B
10-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Sorry to hear that. I've left mine on all night on accident before with water in it. I eventually had to replace the o ring on the pressure cap. One of my indicator lights no longer comes on. And I also have condensation appear inside the pressure gauge sometimes. The VX is a tough machine. Good luck with your repair. You will get a lot of use from your machine.

ozziepuppy
10-20-2012, 07:10 PM
When I drained it for shipping there was still water in it, so I guess I did not run it dry even though it indicated that. Sent it out yesterday for repair. Will let you all know what was wrong with it when I find out.

ozziepuppy
10-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Update: Got my VX5000 back and it is fixed. It had a loose fitting that was tightened and the O-ring on the cap was also replaced. It seems to be working fine now.

DaveT435
10-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Update: Got my VX5000 back and it is fixed. It had a loose fitting that was tightened and the O-ring on the cap was also replaced. It seems to be working fine now.

That's great. Did they cover freight also??

ozziepuppy
10-28-2012, 05:26 PM
They were supposed to cover all of the shipping. It cost around $47.00 to ship it UPS. I asked for the shipping charges in small brushes ($4 each) rather than as a check (as they usually do). I thought I would get about 11 small brushes but I only got 6. I considered contacting them and asking for more brushes to cover all of the shipping, but then decided not to bother. They did pay for return shipping.

DaveT435
10-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Seems like there is a profit margin on the brushes they would have sent you more. I guess things could have been a lot worse!!

ozziepuppy
10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I seem to wear down those little nylon ones as I really like them. Also, my cats sometimes find them and use them as toys, so some of them disappear LOL. I could email and complain that all of shipping was supposed to be covered, but I figure why split hairs. It's fixed, and I literally got it back in 2 days, and I didn't have to pay return shipping at all. It's all good.