PDA

View Full Version : Iron X turned my wheel weights bright green...

Pages : [1] 2

Kaban
10-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Hey guys, wanted to share something that happened to me while using Iron-X several months ago. I was meaning to post this earlier, but kept putting it off. Tomorrow, I plan on using it again so I want to get some advice before I do.

This summer, I was cleaning a spare set of my brother's wheels. The wheels were OEM Toyota Supra TT wheels painted silver. The wheel weights were installed at NTB (popular tire place which I'm sure you all heard of) when we mounted new tires a few years ago.

This is the first time I have used Iron-X on these wheels, and after using the product, the wheel weights (which I assume are made of lead) turned from nice and shiny to bright green and ugly looking.

I was able to remove the green color by scrubbing the hell out of them with metal polish, but it was a pain in the ass and a big time consuming task.

My question is.... has anyone else experienced this? Why did this happen? And how can it be prevented in the future?

I was surprised because I thought Iron X can be used on any surface with no negative effects.

Thanks guys.

NAVYJOE11
10-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Just put a little piece of painters tape over the wheel weight and be more careful when spraying in that area. It shouls say on the bottle to keep off wheel weights because of this reason. Probably a little bit of a pain in the A#$ but much less time consuming than scrubbing the green off! Im not a pro though sure there easier solutions to the issue

Kaban
10-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Did this happen to you also?

ScottB
10-18-2012, 06:49 PM
I noticed a green color, didn't know why but figured it was something to do with the metal content and not being sealed.

NAVYJOE11
10-18-2012, 08:25 PM
No, it has never happen to me but i have heard of it happening quite a bit.

DaveT435
10-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a chemical reaction to the lead...or maybe their weights were coated with something. Didn't do it on factory GM weights. I used the iron x gel

rider9195
10-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Sounds like a chemical reaction to the lead...or maybe their weights were coated with something. Didn't do it on factory GM weights. I used the iron x gel

+1 Used IronX Paste on my dads C6 wheels with the weights not turning green.

SON1C
10-18-2012, 08:41 PM
used sonax on my wheels and dyed my wheel weights with a green tinge -> similar products

mg6045
10-18-2012, 11:21 PM
uncoated metals will get stained from this product. I'm always weary of using these iron remover product around aftermarket/factory big break units as a lot of the hardware on them is uncoated and can be stained.

AutowerxDetailing
10-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Yup. Iron-X will turn lead wheel weights bright green. Although I have never had an issue getting the green color out afterwards. Usually just light agitation with an appropriate wheel cleaner makes short work of it. I have never noticed it to be a hassle, especially considering the time saving benefits of using Iron-X in the first place.

snowking724
10-19-2012, 06:59 AM
http:// http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html
A few paragraphs down it cautions against spraying certain parts. Give it a tread and use caution around those parts.

M0nk3y
10-19-2012, 10:38 AM
It will dye the wheel weights a little green.

A little scrubbing with a metal type brush and it will come off.

FUNX650
10-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Re: "Iron X turned my wheel weights bright green"...

^^^I see this posted quite a bit.^^^

I'll ask...
1.) Are all wheel-balancing-weights 'created equal'?
2.) What are the reactive ingredients/chemicals, if any, in IronX?

1.)...
-Historically...wheel-weights were made from lead alloys.
But 'lead', due to its toxicity/poisonous nature, has gradually been removed from products,
like paints...due, in part, by pressures exerted by environmental/safety&health groups.
Probably, IMO: A Good Thing.

Keeping in lock-step for this lead-removal, some wheel-weight manufactures have turned to other
materials/alloys. Zinc is one such material/metal/metal-alloy.

-Allow me to back-up momentarily...
Many metals/metal-alloys, such as aluminum, stainless steel, and, even lead and zinc...
will form a tough passivation-layer in order to halt/reduce attacks from
further chemicals-reactions to their underlying base.

For lead...lead oxide
For zinc...zinc oxide

-However, these passivation layers are not a "Silver Bullet"... certain chemicals/abrasive-actions can remove them.

Fortunately, if 'reactants' are removed in a timely fashion (before they completely destroy the base metals/alloys)
the passivation-layer will re-form when exposed to the atmosphere.

{Side Bar: Depending on its purity/alloy content...
When zinc burns, it emits a greenish/greenish-blueish "color".}

2.)...
IronX's ingredients include, (among others no doubt):
-Ammonium Sulfanylacetate (also called/known by many other names)---Acetic Acid
-Alkyl Ethoxy Sulphate---fancy name for Sodium Salts.

With the above #'s 1.) & 2.) in mind...I'll postulate that:

-If the wheel-weights are of zinc/zinc-alloys:

a. They will have a zinc-oxide, passivation-layer

b. Acids (including acetic acid) will 'remove'/burn-off this zinc-oxide passivation-layer through a
"heat-process" (exothermic)...and start 'burning' the underlying zinc/zinc-alloy

c. IronX contains acetic acid...Which is known to 'remove' zinc oxide by an exothermic-reaction

d. The appearance of zinc/zinc-alloys when heated/burned will be greenish.

e. The total washing/whisking-away of IronX by methods/means of items such as:
water-flushing/cleaners-surfactants/agitation...before the zinc'ed wheel-weight is
completely destroyed/"eaten"...will allow the grayish, zinc-oxide, passivation-layer
to re-form atop of what's left of said zinc'ed wheel weight.

f. All is well, then, in: Wheel-Weight Detailing-Land...(?)

As I mentioned...
-Just putting forth my theory/theories regarding "Green wheel-weights".
-I could be totally wrong, though.

:)

Bob

ADDENDUM:
-Want to know my theory of why IronX is that greenish color while in its container/bottle...
Yet turns into colors ranging from: purple-ish; then red; and then, (even):
'blood-red'...when becoming "exposed"?!?!

-I thought not. :D

CEE DOG
10-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Exactly what i came here to say :) a little agitation removes it from the weights

FUNX650
10-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Exactly what i came here to say :) a little agitation removes it from the weights

Hey Buddy...Thanks for stopping by!!

-Been awhile since I've seen you.
-Hope your Business is going full blast!

:cheers:

Bob