PDA

View Full Version : clay bar storage

maxdetail
10-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Hi!! I've been using Ricardo yellow clay for 1 year and found that it is not lasting long enought. 1 caly bar cut in 3 the little piece last about 3-4 vehicules before it disintegrate to small bits. I'm thinking this clay bar does not like the heat to much?? It's stored it in it's plastic case in a drawer in the garage. Mabe it's not liking the CG maxi-sudsII I use for lube???

Twister
10-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Some lubes will cause the clay to fall apart quicker. I quit using soap and water mixture and started using products like ONR, UWW+ or a dedicated clay lube

maxdetail
10-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Some lubes will cause the clay to fall apart quicker. I quit using soap and water mixture and started using products like ONR, UWW+ or a dedicated clay lube

Thanks for you input!

Chesniak
10-18-2012, 07:46 PM
I have been using the same bar of Riccardo Blue clay for almost 3 years now! i keep it in a air tight jar with a spray of ONR on it.

maxdetail
10-18-2012, 09:05 PM
I have been using the same bar of Riccardo Blue clay for almost 3 years now! i keep it in a air tight jar with a spray of ONR on it.

WOW!! I had never really look at ONR before because the cars I get to clean are usualy extremly dirty. Now that I have read up on it I am definitly getting some thanks.:dblthumb2:

slapshot
10-20-2012, 07:32 PM
I keep mine in a zip lock bag with spray detailer on it to keep it moist. I just replaced one after almost 2 years. I end up replacing them due to being dirty and not falling apart.

Capa1970
10-20-2012, 09:36 PM
My griot's clay started to fall apart (almost disintegrate) after a year of use. At first I assumed it was because I had tried Griot's waterless wash but then the next time I switched to UWW+ and the disintegration continues :(
The clay is kept indoors in Griot's clay can and I always spray it with some sort of quick detailer. The clay is now two years old.

lawrenceSA
10-22-2012, 07:35 AM
I use ONR as a lube, and once done claying spritz some onto the clay and close in a airtight container. Have had no issues to date

HARDCORE DETAILING
11-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Onr?

Jimmy Vegas
11-17-2016, 06:41 PM
ONR = Optimum No Rinse (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html)

Has anyone found that adding some lube to clay in a ziplock will help re-moisturize it? Or once it starts to go dry is that it?

PaulMys
11-17-2016, 07:47 PM
I use ONR as a lube, and once done claying spritz some onto the clay and close in a airtight container. Have had no issues to date

Same here.

PursuitDT
11-18-2016, 12:43 AM
I use a small mason jar. One spray of GG Speed Shine. Doesn't break down the clay and keeps it sealed.

VISITOR
11-18-2016, 03:28 AM
i roll up the clay in a ball and store it in a plastic jar with screw top (similar to the natty's jars). i don't spray anything in there just in case of mold...