PDA

View Full Version : Video editing and uploading: Need some help!

Pages : [1] 2

Hoytman
10-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Recently I bought a Canon Elph 100 HS point and shoot camera. This camera shoots full 1080 HD video.

I recently finished a boat detail and I had taken some photo's as well as some video before and after shots that I'd like to post to our forum.

I'm new to video editing and uploading to youtube and would like some advice on editing as I need to splice 3 video sections into one single video to upload.

I haven't had the time to read my users manual and such and was wondering if the disc provided with the camera (I have already uploaded it to my computer) has a program that will allow me to do any editing and splicing? I think it does, but I haven't had much time to mess around with it. Anyone else familiar with this camera and what I can do with it?

Yancy
10-18-2012, 12:34 PM
What operating system are you working on, pc - mac?

Hoytman
10-18-2012, 04:43 PM
2007 HP pc, running Vista (I gotta get a new computer sometime soon and replace this dinosaur). Would love to switch to Mac, for sure.

I gotta get me an avatar up as well. The picture of me and Mike at the Evansville get together would work just fine.

Vegas Transplant
10-18-2012, 04:51 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1509/hoytman_avatar.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/50988)

Hoytman
10-18-2012, 05:01 PM
You trying to showcase my fat gut or what...Vegas? LOL!!! You know what? I think I'm same width from any angle...LOL!!!! I resemble that remark ha ha.

Vegas Transplant
10-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I can delete. Or mod. can

Hoytman
10-18-2012, 10:23 PM
I can delete. Or mod. can

Huh? What does that mean Vegas? Somehow I think you got the impressiion you offended me. You certainly did NOT offend me and thus my reason for crackin' jokes about myself. I thought your post with my picture was pretty funny actually. I've got pretty thick skin Vegas...well the pretty part is debatable. LOL!

Anyhow, back on topic. I hope someone can assist me. I'm going to tinker around a bit and see what I can do about editing some video for the forum.

Vegas Transplant
10-18-2012, 10:27 PM
:dblthumb2:
resized 150x193
Have a great night!

Porsche Pilot
10-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Sony Vegas is a really good, simple consumer based editing program. The learning curve isn't too steep and its affordable as compared to some Adobe software. You can make some really nice videos with effects.

Here is an example of the things you can do:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXDLByEQ5Ow&feature=plcp]AOS INTRO - YouTube[/video]

Yancy
10-19-2012, 09:38 AM
You can download a trial version of Adobe Premiere and take that for a test drive if you like. I used to work in that exclusively until I switched over to mac, now I use Final Cut X.

Mac is the way to go in my opinion. More stable and the rendering times are far faster than PC based programs. If you do not want to purchase a video editing software, your pc should have windows movie maker on it. It is a simple program but is limited to what you can do.

Yancy
10-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Remember too that the power of your machine will limit the processing of video. The lower the power of the pc the slower the render and editing times that you will have.

Hoytman
10-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Ed and Yancy,

Thanks for the replies. This things is slow, so it will be a problem I believe. Shucks!

Yancy
10-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Ed and Yancy,

Thanks for the replies. This things is slow, so it will be a problem I believe. Shucks!

lol, what is the processor speed and ram that you have in it?

Porsche Pilot
10-19-2012, 10:11 AM
If I had the coin and the need, a Mac is definitely the way to go for vid editing. So many plug ins (Magic Bullet is sweet), super fast, etc.

The PC vid editors are indeed resource hogs so you may want to upgrade the PC or use the built in Movie Maker. It gets the job done but is limited of course.

Hoytman
10-19-2012, 10:38 AM
lol, what is the processor speed and ram that you have in it?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+, 1024 MB memory (slooowwww), 320G hard drive, much of which hasn't been used. I know...I need a newer computer, for sure.

I can add more RAM, but only enough to make it a 1 gig system which is still a dinosaur by todays standards. In fact, spending $300-$400 on a new tower would probably be better than what I have.

The camera came with Zoombrowser EX, but like I said, I haven't taken too much time to mess around with what I can do. It may not let me do any movie editing at all. However, there is a tool with that program to assist me in uploading to youtube...I think.