PDA

View Full Version : compound or polish?

Pages : [1] 2

TheZodiac
10-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Hey guys having a hard time deciding if i should use ultimate compound or go straight to polish

have a 99 jeep grand cherokee that's been neglected for quite some time. (hasnt had a full detail in a few years)

thinking i should use compound then polish? but have heard horror stories so am a bit hesistant about using compound.

will have to apply it by hand (cant afford a proper buffer)

attached are some pictures. (note car hasn't been washed in a while, it rained about a week ago which removed most of the heavy dirt) .

any advice would be great

thinking ill
wash
clay bar
wash
compound
polish
wax

this is the correct order yeah? also doubting my arms will be able to tolerate doing this in one day
where would be a good stopping point if i need to split it up?

thanks again! Im the MAN

Eandras
10-17-2012, 05:29 PM
My opinion would to start out with Ultimate Compound. Then polish.
Ed

Danube
10-17-2012, 05:34 PM
UC first then polish.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Yeah dont bother doing any polishing and looking for results. Just jump in with both feet with UC and go from there.

cleanmycorolla
10-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Good luck doing that by hand.....your arms are not going to like you!

BobbyG
10-17-2012, 05:41 PM
From the photos it looks like you need to be very aggressive in order to restore the finish to an acceptable level...Working a finish so degraded by hand is an arduous task and will take a good deal of time... For quality, efficiency and consistency I suggest you invest in a dual action polisher...

TheZodiac
10-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Good luck doing that by hand.....your arms are not going to like you!

Yeah I'm thinking get to ultimate compound then finishing the rest in the morning. ( park in. Garage) don't think that'll cause any issues

Sent from my HTC One XL using AG Online

TheZodiac
10-17-2012, 05:48 PM
From the photos it looks like you need to be very aggressive in order to restore the finish to an acceptable level...Working a finish so degraded by hand is an arduous task and will take a good deal of time... For quality, efficiency and consistency I suggest you invest in a dual action polisher...

At the moment I can't justify spending $100 on a polisher because I plan on selling the car in the near future and am saving for another one. More or less I'm just doing this to make it look a bit better until then and practice detailing before I get a nicer car

glen e
10-17-2012, 05:54 PM
At the moment I can't justify spending $100 on a polisher because I plan on selling the car in the near future and am saving for another one. More or less I'm just doing this to make it look a bit better until then and practice detailing before I get a nicer car

Listen to what's being written above.... you can't do this by hand... go ahead and try.. and report back here how it works ---sorry to be blunt but it's the truth, your corroded finish is just gonna laugh at your efforts and certainly not be uniform...

rider9195
10-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Listen to what's being written above.... you can't do this by hand... go ahead and try.. and report back here how it works ---sorry to be blunt but it's the truth, your corroded finish is just gonna laugh at your efforts and certainly not be uniform...

I agree. Spend the money on a polisher and then you can use it on your new car and others cars to make money!

TheZodiac
10-17-2012, 06:34 PM

Do you guys have a cheap buffer you can recommend

glen e
10-17-2012, 06:56 PM
again, don't do anything if you're not gonna do it right - stop going to dinner/drinks for a few wekks and buy a good buffer - the porter cable sold here at the store here or the griot's garage buffer are the ones to buy - remember you have 40 bucks or so of pads to buy too...

it will last you a lifetime and every car you have from now on....

joche26
10-17-2012, 07:23 PM
I think that if you spend $100, you could at least add it to the selling price:props:

TheZodiac
10-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah thinking I'll have to get a buffer then just save up. Bit for one. Can you 're use the pads or at they single (or few) Times use

glen e
10-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah thinking I'll have to get a buffer then just save up. Bit for one. Can you 're use the pads or at they single (or few) Times use

while you're saving start watching the videos here - pads last a long time when you know how to clean them...

A year ago I didn't know anything about detailing . I went here and watched all of videos and read all the how-to articles .I read a few forums and it became clear as to how to do this. It does you no good to ask a single question, because you never really get a complete answer how it works, and what surfaces need what product. So just bone up like I did and you'll get it very quickly. And it takes a few products and diff pads to "try" on the surface.