PDA

View Full Version : Pricing / ProcedureDuct Tape removal and Polishing

Always Learning
10-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi

A dealer friend would like me to clean up his Porsche. At the moment he's only talkingabout removal of duct tape residue and possibly some light polishing afterwards.

I'm looking for suggestions on technique and pricing both just for the residue removal and a combined price as well.

I've attached the picture he sent me, if it doesn't work, here's a link

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gL1GYc-Uat_mtylRhtmvutMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directli nk

From reading here, I plan on using Goo Off or Goof Off but would like a back up plan if that doesn't work. I think I read denatured alcohol may also work. I've seen a 3M aerosol product at a body shop supply store but it was significantly more expensive ($20 Canada) per can.

For polishing I have a Flex 3401 and was planning on using either M205 or P85 if really not bad. I'm leaning towards the M205 because I think the clear coat will be pretty hard on this car.

I'm doing this job tomorrow so any help is appreciated. BTW it's a mobile job, approximately 20 minutes away from my home, what should I charge extra for that?

As always, thanks for your help,
Doug

Always Learning
10-17-2012, 03:45 PM
One more question, how long would you expect each part of the job to take, ie how long for residue removal and how long for to polish? I'm assuming I'll clean with ONR then clay prior to polishing.

Suggestions?

Thanks

rider9195
10-17-2012, 03:47 PM
I would definitely charge per hour personally. This won't be an hour job either. Also since you are going mobile I would charge a small fee for that. 20 minutes isn't a huge deal but it does depend on if you are driving the city or highway.

I would just take your time and let the product work and break up the adhesive. I would get some 3M Adhesive Remover or Stoners Tarminator. Either one should work as well.

Porsche paint is on the soft side, so M205 will work well!

Always Learning
10-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks,

Can you suggest a ballpark number of hours? I'm guessing 2 - 3 for the adhesive removal (never done it before though) and 2 - 3 for quick cleaning, clay and polish?

Comments? The guy is going to want to know approx how much ahead of time. Are my numbers close?

rider9195
10-17-2012, 05:31 PM
I would give myself at least 2.5 hours for the adhesive removal to be safe. For a wash, clay, light polish and seal I can complete that in about 4-6 hours. So in total I would say anywhere from 6- 9 hours if you want to be very thorough.

Divine Details
10-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Stoners tarminator and some microfibers for the duck tape that worked well on my dads truck.

Chad@Divine Details

FUNX650
10-17-2012, 07:57 PM
duct tape

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gL1GYc-Uat_mtylRhtmvutMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directli nk

-I've never seen someone's vehicle with that kind of duct tape residue...So:

Could you tell me reason for duct-taping the roof of a Porsche in the first place? What was it holding down/in-place?

-3m's adhesive remover is an excellent choice.

-Always go for the least aggressive method first...On a test-spot...

:)

Bob

Always Learning
10-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone,

Now I haven't seen the car in person, but when I asked the guy he said it was a convertible and he wanted a hard top --- go figure? I'll try and get some details on that tomorrow.

Anyway he had a shop put metal in place but they didn't know how to hold it down while it set (glued in place or something????) so they used duct tape.

I'm curious if the car was rebuilt from a wreck or something similar.

DaveT435
10-17-2012, 08:50 PM
-I've never seen someone's vehicle with that kind of duct tape residue...So:

Could you tell me reason for duct-taping the roof of a Porsche in the first place? What was it holding down/in-place?

-3m's adhesive remover is an excellent choice.

-Always go for the least aggressive method first...On a test-spot...

:)

Bob
That was my first question when I saw the picture...wth?? lol Agree 3M adhesive remover is great stuff!!

Always Learning
10-20-2012, 06:58 AM
AG FTW! It was Tuct tape, I got it all removed cleaned up and waxed (top only). The owner decided he wanted the rims done as well. When he came back to the outside parking lot where I was working he was thrilled.

I used Goof Off as suggested in another thread. Also used Varsol as suggested by a trusted Auto Body Supply store, although not as strong as Goof Off.

Everyone was wondering why the tape? The top is from another car but it has a complete hardtop that goes over a convertible. You remove the hardtop in the spring and have a convertible, in the fall you for the convertible with the complete hardtop shell.

I'll post some pics tomorrow of my work.

Sent from my S3 using AG Online

Always Learning
10-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Here's some before after.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WyRE0prtx3p-hRDwleBAzdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4WHJ5uvqH8BKXQsR4aRQ_9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

Being in Canada, it's not so easy to just run out and grab many of the products listed here. If I searched around I may have been able to find the 3M adhesive remover (the stuff I originally saw wasn't the right stuff), but at that point I was pressured for time.

Rims and tires turned out great and I even pointed out an unsave cut in the sidewall on is front. Wouldn't want that to fail at speed!

Thanks again

ihaveacamaro
10-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Nice turnaround!

I'm still unsure of what the duct tape's purpose was even after reading your post. Wouldn't the hardcover/softcover like snap on or clip in or something? I'm pretty sure it was designed to be used without duct tape lol

Always Learning
10-21-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm at a total loss on the Tuct Tape solution as well. There must be some reason like it - although he said the guys who installed it didn't know what the were doing. I've googled a little and found some people confused about the gap around it, perhaps they were trying to close that in? Another possibility is that the existing hold down hardware is broken and they just did what they could without ordering parts.

I'll try to learn more if he comes by to polish the roof. It is really scratched up - more than a good polish can save and I told him(some deep and wide scratches), but some of it could be helped.

He drives the car here in the winter so when he asked further about a full polish I suggested he wait till after the ice and snow. (Maybe I'm my own worst enemy!)

ihaveacamaro
10-22-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm at a total loss on the Tuct Tape solution as well. There must be some reason like it - although he said the guys who installed it didn't know what the were doing. I've googled a little and found some people confused about the gap around it, perhaps they were trying to close that in? Another possibility is that the existing hold down hardware is broken and they just did what they could without ordering parts.

I'll try to learn more if he comes by to polish the roof. It is really scratched up - more than a good polish can save and I told him(some deep and wide scratches), but some of it could be helped.

He drives the car here in the winter so when he asked further about a full polish I suggested he wait till after the ice and snow. (Maybe I'm my own worst enemy!)

I find it always better to be honest :dblthumb2:

Always Learning
10-23-2012, 09:09 AM
I couldn't agree more. I turned down a previous customer last week, he thought his daughters 98 BMW lights needed done. I'm not sure if this car has been garaged all the time, but the lights were near mint so I asked him to call me in a couple years if they start deteriorating.

I couldn't do business any other way.