PDA

View Full Version : Need more "show wax" and QD, and just bought a new bright blue car. Suggestions?

MilesToEmpty
10-16-2012, 02:51 PM
So I bought a 2004 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza STI for a steal of a price. Ive never worked with blue before, especially a blue of this color.

Ive got an arsenal of Chemical Guys Products. Their old 3 stage polish system, the new 4 level as well which I havent used, a huge selection of Sealants etc etc. I bought a bunch of stuff from them as I had never owned anything other then store available stuff.

Currently Im out of the CG 5050, so I need some more "show wax." Im also out of V7. QD. And Im willing to try some other stuff.

But I was hoping someone could recommend a wax/QD that would really make this color pop, or if I should just order some more of what I already had and used.

Thanks in advance!

Charles

Anyway, here's the car:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/577260_749529541669_1274212147_n.jpg

Here's my shelf, lol
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/417301_663776755939_1050062395_n.jpg

ihaveacamaro
10-16-2012, 02:55 PM
omg, and I thought my collection was somewhat large!

Can't answer your wax question, as I have opticoat, but as far as QD's go, I love my UWW+ (Ultima Waterless Wash + concentrate).

QD, clay lube, rinseless wash, and waterless wash all in one. And very cheap for the price of product you can make!

$21 for a bottle (you can get it down to about $17 if you price match with online vendors) makes ~5.5 GALLONS of QD. And not just any QD, but one of the best at that.

I've been using it for about 3-4 months and I finished only about half my bottle!

Keep in mind UWW+ is not a wax/QD together, although it does leave polymers that protect for a week or so.

rider9195
10-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Blackfire Midnight Sun with Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray as a topper after each wash.

FUNX650
10-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Since I missed posting in your intro thread:
-Hi Charles...and...:welcome:...to AGO!!

-Also in your intro thread you posted the below info:

And this is my 2004 STI I jut bought. The guy told me he hadnt washed it in months, and hadnt done anything other then 1 wax in over 2-3 years.

So my thoughts are:
-More than likely this vehicle has a BC/CC paint system
-If so you'll be 'working on' the CC (not the World Rally Blue color)...

That is: Cleaning/Correcting the CC to your satisfication...
Trying to obtain the smoothest, defect free CC as possible.

Hence, and then applying the adage: "Polishing Makes the Paint".
Which in turn:
-That'll make the BC ("blue of this color") pop!!...IMO.

A short-list of my recommendations for waxes:
-Meg's #26
-3M Show Car Wax (paste or liquid)
-S100

For QD:
-Meg's Ultimate Quik Detailer

-None of these products are in the $100-200 range,
but have always performed/met with my approval.

:)

Bob

07gtcs
10-16-2012, 04:44 PM
I have a Dark Blue Mustang and use BF Midnight sun sealant, top it with MS Wax, upkeep with the BF Poly Spray and before shows use the poly spray and then a coat of QD with Carnauba wax.

primo spaghetti
10-16-2012, 08:16 PM
:eek:i thnk you should be looking for a hood before any wax/qd..lol.j/k

as an affordable LSP, you cant beat the way DGAW looks and lasts (i know i know not a QD), but definately fits in your wax category.

i just picked up some optimum products to give them a go around, but have previously used Megs and WG compounds/polishes with no issues.

MilesToEmpty
10-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Since I missed posting in your intro thread:
-Hi Charles...and...:welcome:...to AGO!!

-Also in your intro thread you posted the below info:

So my thoughts are:
-More than likely this vehicle has a BC/CC paint system
-If so you'll be 'working on' the CC (not the World Rally Blue color)...

That is: Cleaning/Correcting the CC to your satisfication...
Trying to obtain the smoothest, defect free CC as possible.

Hence, and then applying the adage: "Polishing Makes the Paint".
Which in turn:
-That'll make the BC ("blue of this color") pop!!...IMO.

A short-list of my recommendations for waxes:
-Meg's #26
-3M Show Car Wax (paste or liquid)
-S100

For QD:
-Meg's Ultimate Quik Detailer

-None of these products are in the $100-200 range,
but have always performed/met with my approval.

:)

Bob
Bob,

Thanks for the super response!

And yes, Subaru does use a BC/CC.

I do plan to get plenty of photos of the paint before I start anything at all.

One of my car buddies also recommended the 3M to me.

And I just put the hood on the car tonight lol.

SON1C
10-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Pete's 53 or blue velvet for a great wax
For a qd I'd get something like the uww+, as suggested or similar
Similar blues ;)

MilesToEmpty
10-21-2012, 11:05 PM
I do have a can of Pete's, Ill give it a try on the paint and see what I think.

I was really interested in trying some more Dojo products. I had the white wax for my Silver STI and it gave it a nice shine.

MilesToEmpty
10-21-2012, 11:08 PM
And not sure what DGAW or UWW is haha.

rwright
10-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Since you are looking for show wax, just use your Blacklight sitting on the shelf and top it with the Glossworkz Glaze. Pick up some Speed Wipe or Synthetic QD from Chemical Guys for that in between. Unless you're really just wanting another paste.

swanicyouth
10-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Wolfgang Fuzion is an awesome looking wax on blue. I think two of the best QDs are Prima Slick & Optimum Instant Detailer. UWW & DGAW = Ultima Waterless Wash (a waterless spray wash) and Duragloss Aquawax (a sprayable sealant that adds gloss on top of LSPs)

UWW is a great product, but if you don't need any cleaning ability, a regular QD is the way to go. PB Spray and Gloss is another nice one, but a bit thinner.