PDA

View Full Version : Should I get Microfiber Pads?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ihaveacamaro
10-16-2012, 11:40 AM
After reading a bunch of reviews on this pad, I *think* I'm going to get them. I'm still unclear on a few things.

What situation do you use these pads in? Are there certain situations that are better to use the MF pads, rather than foam?

In your opinion, would you recommend these over foam, and why or why not?

I have a PC XP. With the compounding pad, should I get more cut compared to a yellow foam pad? If yes, is the cut faster too or just cuts more deeply?

What brand should I get? ie LC, OPT, Megs?

Roshan

ryance39
10-16-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm interested in this as well. Seems like not many people have gone to MF pads. I thought they would be huge and more companies would produce them.

Evan.J
10-16-2012, 12:17 PM
I have the Meg's MF discs and I have used them on my G110v2 and I have to say I am very pleased with the outcome I have got.

When you do use these I must caution that cleaning these pads is a must. They recommend a pad brush or compressed air and after using both compressed are is the best way hands down. The fibers trap and hold on to the product well and getting all the spent product out of the fibers is best done by blowing them out.

There is always the right tool for every job and these discs are great for heavy defect removal and they do a great job. You going to achieve closer to rotary results with out the dangers of a rotary.

IMO you are going to get more cut and I would say faster as well. One thing I have noticed is that you don't need much speed. When using the Meg's they say to not go above 4800opms. If you do you run the risk of the disc failing prematurely.

These are a great tool and I have loved using these. There is a little bit of a difference in use from the foam to the MF but I'd highly recommend these. I hope I helped you out if you need to know more just ask!!!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-16-2012, 12:25 PM
I have been on and off about these as of now. Not because of the product or the way they perform but it is a bit different in the way you use compared to foam. I have been using the Lake Country Hydrotech lineup and love what they can do although the microfibers with compound will cut better. Also the mf disc setup should only be used on factory OEM paint.

The mf disc is a bit of a different learning curve but give them some time and use and you will like the ability of cut and finish after compounding.

Vegas Transplant
10-16-2012, 12:47 PM
After reading a bunch of reviews on this pad, I *think* I'm going to get them. I'm still unclear on a few things.
It's not like it's a major purchase, what's there to lose?

What situation do you use these pads in? Are there certain situations that are better to use the MF pads, rather than foam?

In your opinion, would you recommend these over foam, and why or why not?

I have a PC XP. With the compounding pad, should I get more cut compared to a yellow foam pad?

If yes, is the cut faster too or just cuts more deeply?

What brand should I get? ie LC, OPT, Megs?

Roshan

As long as your working strictly with the XP/foam pads, eventually the day will come where you'll run into that finish ....that cannot meet it's potential with what you have in your arsenal.

ihaveacamaro
10-16-2012, 01:18 PM
As long as your working strictly with the XP/foam pads, eventually the day will come where you'll run into that finish ....that cannot meet it's potential with what you have in your arsenal.

Fair enough. Would hate to run into that finish. In fact, my gfs nissan altima is giving me a run for my money. Man, I have no idea why, but that thing is being super stubborn! I may have to try the MF disks on it.

As for it not being a major purchase, you're right it's not. It's just that I HATE buying a product and not using it. Not that I don't have money to spend, but I hate feeling like I wasted it.

Many people have enough product to last a couple of lifetimes, I have just enough to do what I want to be able to. No real extras, no flavor of the month, buy bogo only if I was actually looking at the product in the first place. :xyxthumbs:

I feel like I'm not throwing money down the drain this way :)

ihaveacamaro
10-16-2012, 01:22 PM
I have the Meg's MF discs and I have used them on my G110v2 and I have to say I am very pleased with the outcome I have got.

When you do use these I must caution that cleaning these pads is a must. They recommend a pad brush or compressed air and after using both compressed are is the best way hands down. The fibers trap and hold on to the product well and getting all the spent product out of the fibers is best done by blowing them out.

There is always the right tool for every job and these discs are great for heavy defect removal and they do a great job. You going to achieve closer to rotary results with out the dangers of a rotary.

IMO you are going to get more cut and I would say faster as well. One thing I have noticed is that you don't need much speed. When using the Meg's they say to not go above 4800opms. If you do you run the risk of the disc failing prematurely.

These are a great tool and I have loved using these. There is a little bit of a difference in use from the foam to the MF but I'd highly recommend these. I hope I helped you out if you need to know more just ask!!!

Thank you for your info. I've read a few of your posts, and you always seem to talk about or recommend Meguiar's. I was going to ask you what brand I should choose, but if you work for Meguiar's, the answer I get will of course be biased lol ;)

I do have a question (I may make a thread about it), but I have no compressed air, but have been thinking about getting a system. Is there something you would recommend or any info that I should know beforehand?

I have been on and off about these as of now. Not because of the product or the way they perform but it is a bit different in the way you use compared to foam. I have been using the Lake Country Hydrotech lineup and love what they can do although the microfibers with compound will cut better. Also the mf disc setup should only be used on factory OEM paint.

The mf disc is a bit of a different learning curve but give them some time and use and you will like the ability of cut and finish after compounding.

How do you use it differently? Thor above says to use them slower, is that the only difference, or are you changing something like technique too?

TomG
10-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Ive used the LC foam pads and the megs MF pad kit.

The MF pads are MUCH easier to use (especially for a newbie like me) with slightly more cut than the foam. I also noticed that I needed far less product with the MF.

While I like both, the MF kit had less range but it was short money and worth the investment to see what you think on your own. They are also much easier to clean as the product tends to stay on the surface and not get absorbed into the middle as much.

Evan.J
10-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Hahaha no I don't work for them. Thats what I have been using for a few years since I started into detailing. I have a local distributors that I get great prices that I just can't pass up. I like what I have achieved with the products. I want to actually try out the LC MF pads to see how they are.

For your question, You will see that like other have said there is a bit of a learning curve with the MF. The technique used is slightly different. Arm speed and pressure is a little different. Machine speed with always stay constant with the compounding process. The best thing to do is to just try it out and learn that way, thats what I had to do.

Vegas Transplant
10-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Fair enough. Would hate to run into that finish. In fact, my gfs nissan altima is giving me a run for my money. Man, I have no idea why, but that thing is being super stubborn! I may have to try the MF disks on it.

My two cents: If you feel that the Altima is soft paint, then go with the OPT lineup.
If you feel that the Altima is hard CC, then go with either.

As for it not being a major purchase, you're right it's not. It's just that I HATE buying a product and not using it. Not that I don't have money to spend, but I hate feeling like I wasted it.
Me, too.
Many people have enough product to last a couple of lifetimes, I have just enough to do what I want to be able to. No real extras, no flavor of the month, buy bogo only if I was actually looking at the product in the first place. :xyxthumbs:

I feel like I'm not throwing money down the drain this way :)

I got on the mf bandwagon looking for an alternative to wool...and the issues associated with wool.
If I can eliminate a process or two, then correction in my market can be more profitable.

ihaveacamaro
10-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Alright guys, I think I'm ordering the OPT MF pads.

Will I need the polishing pads too? I was just thinking about using the white foam as, in reviews, the polishing pads are sometimes to aggressive.

Vegas Transplant
10-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Actually, you can get by with finishing pad on the cutting process.
When OCC was waiting for their new shipment of mf pads this past spring, DR.G. commented that cutting pads/finishing pads not being that far off from one another...will see if I can provide a link.

Evan.J
10-16-2012, 02:19 PM

Will I need the polishing pads too? I was just thinking about using the white foam as, in reviews, the polishing pads are sometimes to aggressive.

Sweet are you planning on doing a write up? I like to see what you come out with and what your thoughts are. I'm interested in expanding on my pad collection.

Vegas Transplant
10-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Could not locate the link...my bad.

Hard CC
Polishing pads only

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1543/161_benz_resize.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49718)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1543/125_benz_resize1.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49714)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1543/189_benz_resize1.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49723)

ihaveacamaro
10-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Actually, you can get by with finishing pad on the cutting process.
When OCC was waiting for their new shipment of mf pads this past spring, DR.G. commented that cutting pads/finishing pads not being that far off from one another...will see if I can provide a link.

Cool I was hoping that was the case :xyxthumbs:

Sweet are you planning on doing a write up? I like to see what you come out with and what your thoughts are. I'm interested in expanding on my pad collection.

mmm never really thought about it, so maybe :dunno: I have a couple other videos/writeups I'm thinking about that I would like to get out first...

Have you had a chance to see this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/42291-new-optimum-microfiber-polishing-pads-used-da-polishers.html?