PDA

View Full Version : Hello all from New Mexico

MarkD51
10-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Hi all, I'm Mark, living here in Alamogordo, NM.

Lived in Chicago, and Wisconsin most my life. I'm 57 now, been a car care geek since age 16.

Used to detail-wax the gangster's rides back in the day as a teenager.

Better get it right, or you might take a "one way ride" in the trunk! LOL

I used to do their cars, just so I could drive their new Caddys, and Lincolns around the block a couple of times. Big money they used to pay me too.

Enjoy some great interaction with you folks in the future. Great site, and forum. I've lurked for a bit, but decided to join yesterday. Hi to you all! Mark

rustytruck
10-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Welcome.

DaveT435
10-15-2012, 08:11 PM
:welcome: to AG!!

Chris's FX4
10-15-2012, 08:13 PM
:welcome:

Rockbasses
10-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Have fun here!

mjlinane
10-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Welcome to AGO!!

Yancy
10-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Welcome!

vet
10-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Welcome!

I had a black '77 Cordoba, and people called it a mafia staff car after I waxed it.

MarkD51
10-16-2012, 11:21 PM
:laughing:
Welcome!

I had a black '77 Cordoba, and people called it a mafia staff car after I waxed it.

I remember the one car "The Kahuna" had, was a brand new Dove Grey Lincoln Town Car, with Dove Grey Leather Interior. I think it was a 1977, or 1978? Can't remember?

But God, what a land yacht this boat was! A whole lot of car to wash, wax, vacuum, and detail. I'd commonly spend 7-8 sweat filled hours non-stop to get his cars looking right. Heck, the massive hood alone on these cars had more sheet metal than some new cars have in total!

But the rewards getting it all done, of getting behind the wheel of this monstrosity of a car, just floating down the streets, turning corners with one finger on the steering wheel, and a baby toe on the brakes, and the cool AC, ahh, it was worth it. As well as the $100 and a $20 tip!

I had to be in the habit of "causing no harm" on these rides. You wanted to stay in good favor with such people, and earning their respect, and appreciation felt good.

I can remember one trade of communication when he handed me the car keys, and rattled off a lenghty list of things to do, " Check the Oil, Brake Fluid, Tranny Fluid, Power Steering Fluid, Washer Fluid, Check the Air in the Tires", etc.

So, I asked, "You want me to rebuild the Engine too"! He said "No, just the Transmission"! LOL
Mark