PDA

View Full Version : Interior Detail to Kill/Remove Lice

KJW Detailing
10-15-2012, 10:01 AM
I was contacted this morning to do an emergency interior detail. The owner of the automobile unfortunately has a child with lice. This is a first for me. Does anyone have any suggestions, cautions, etc.

Thanks

swanicyouth
10-15-2012, 10:03 AM
As a pharmacist, I usually recommend a spray product with permethrin like:

Brand Names: Elimite(Rx only), Lice Bedding Spray, Nix Lice Control, RID Home Lice Control Spray for Surfaces

Generic Name: permethrin topical (Pronunciation: per METH rin)

Just make sure it has the above active ingredient in it. It's fairly safe if used periodically, as people with scabies slather it all over their bodies from head to toe. If you notice any signs that you are allergic to the product (itching, swelling, rash, or difficulty breathing) - take Benadryl and seek a Dr.

If I recall correctly, this drug is actually made from chrysanthemums

KJW Detailing
10-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Can any of those products be bought OTC?

swanicyouth
10-15-2012, 10:30 AM
All of them, except under the trade name Elimite.

Eandras
10-15-2012, 12:07 PM
This is good to know. What is the wait time on something like this? Is it a spray and remove?

yakky
10-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Leave the heat on with a temp guage in the car for a long while. Anything over 130 degrees will kill them.

Kinalyx
10-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Also, check some of the local exotic pet stores in your area. A product called Provent-a-mite works amazingly well on mites, lice, ect. Its safer, and works better from what ive seen.

I need a bunch of this when a few of my snakes got mites, and mites are a type of lice that attack reptiles.

Shawn

BuckeyeR/T
10-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Leave the heat on with a temp guage in the car for a long while. Anything over 130 degrees will kill them.

Are you thinking bed bugs?

swanicyouth
10-15-2012, 02:22 PM
This is good to know. What is the wait time on something like this? Is it a spray and remove?

Basically you just spray it on and let it dry. Nothing fancy. If it was me, I would spray, let dry. Them vacuum very well. After that re-spray. Permethrin kill lice, bedbugs, and scabies very effectively. If the item can be placed in the washer, it should be washed.

From the product labeling:

Nix® Lice Control Spray
READ ENTIRE LABEL BEFORE EACH USE.
NOT FOR USE ON HUMANS
ACTIVE INGREDIENT: PERMETHRIN...........................0.25% (CAS # 52645-53-1)
OTHER INGREDIENTS:..............9.75%
100.00%
READ ENTIRE LABEL BEFORE EACH USE. PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
This product is extremely toxic to fish and aquatic organisms. To protect the environment, do not allow pesticide to enter or run off into storm drains, drainage ditches, gutters or surface waters.
SHAKE BOTTLE WELL BEFORE USING
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.
FOR USE IN NON-FOOD AREAS OF HOMES INDOOR APPLICATION
Surface Spraying: To kill lice and louse eggs, spray in an inconspicuous area to test for possible staining or discoloration. Inspect again after drying, then proceed to spray entire area to be treated. Spray from a distance of 8 to 10 inches. Treat only those garments and parts of bedding, including mattresses and furniture that cannot be either laundered or dry cleaned. Allow all treated articles to dry thoroughly before use.

*** Also, you don't have to worry too much about this. Lice don't live long without a source (head). Once you treat the source it's usually fine.

DaHen
10-15-2012, 04:08 PM
If I recall correctly, this drug is actually made from chrysanthemums

I've come across a program on the A&E network called "Billy the Exterminator". He uses products for getting rid of bugs that is made from chrysanthemums as well. Suppose to be safer to use.

Hoytman
10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Permethrin and Pyrethrin... Permethrin and Pyrethrum Insecticides - What's The Difference? (http://www.livingwithbugs.com/permethrin_pyrethrum.html)

yakky
10-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Are you thinking bed bugs?

Check the CDC website, it says temps over 130 degrees are proven effective for killing lice.