PDA

View Full Version : Touch up wetsand damage repair help

SON1C
10-15-2012, 08:36 AM
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/Elias101a/Drews%20Detailing/2e387e93.jpg
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/Elias101a/Drews%20Detailing/3a3506f6.jpg
This happens to every car like mine, it's from the factory spoiler
I haven't wetsanded much
But I think the best way to tackle this is to apply touch up and then wetsand even and compound polish etc
Input on any how tos and advice

Kinalyx
10-15-2012, 08:58 AM
are you putting the spoiler back on? Im assuming you are, since you didnt say anything about filling the holes. IMO, i would just put the spoiler back on with new spoiler gaskets. Keep the elements out of there, and this is a spot that will literally NEVER be seen by anyone.

Shawn

SON1C
10-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Sorry forgot to mention that, I'm taking it off for good, I just sold the spoiler I liked anyway lol, I'm still trying to sell my stock one but I have no intentions of that spoiler again and the one I want is hard to find for under 300.. And new it'd 600 unpainted, more than I'd like to spend! Lol

FUNX650
10-15-2012, 02:36 PM
filling the holes.

^^^ :iagree: ^^^
What's your plans here?

I'm taking it off for good...
...I have no intentions of that spoiler again...
...and the one I want is hard to find for under 300...
And new it'd 600 unpainted, more than I'd like to spend! Lol

^^^If so...^^^

Then:

Possibility:Taking the rear deck lid off for repair/re-spray
Definitely: "filling the holes"; prep for re-spray; re-spray; and,
weighing the costs differential between this...and the newer-spoiler's.

JMO

Bob

SON1C
10-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Well a lot of guys just paint a nylon plug and plug that in and call it a day.. But I'm more of a perfectionist than that lol, so id like to restore as best as I can

Kinalyx
10-15-2012, 03:55 PM
well, IMO if you are filling the holes anyway, i would let a quality body shop fix the problem for you. Unless you are at least moderately decent at filler work, a good body shop is going to do a ton better of a job.

Just be aware that to do it "correctly" is pretty expensive. Most people i know have the holes welded shut, then made perfect, and then almost a full strip and respray of the lid. You're looking at $500 easily. If that spoiler you really want is only $600 and fits the factory holes, it may be the best bet, especially if you really like the look.

shawn

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-15-2012, 03:58 PM
well, IMO if you are filling the holes anyway, i would let a quality body shop fix the problem for you. Unless you are at least moderately decent at filler work, a good body shop is going to do a ton better of a job.

Just be aware that to do it "correctly" is pretty expensive. Most people i know have the holes welded shut, then made perfect, and then almost a full strip and respray of the lid. You're looking at $500 easily. If that spoiler you really want is only $600 and fits the factory holes, it may be the best bet, especially if you really like the look.

shawn

I agree with this. Spend a bit more and get the lid you want and go from there. Having a body shop do as you want is just not worth it for a factory lid.