PDA

View Full Version : My Flex is acting funny..

Pages : [1] 2 3

StuDLei
10-14-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm currently staying at my mother-in-laws for the next month and since I've been here I've had some issues with my Flex 3401.

Let me explain...

I'll be using the Flex and everything will be fine, but then all of a sudden it will drop rpms. This is without me pressing down too hard or hitting the speed setting or anything like that. It's almost like it's not getting enough power. Sometimes it'll speed back up and other times it won't. It has never completely died, it's just almost as if it's not getting enough juice.

I'm not an electrian, but is it possible that the extension cord (hers) that I'm using isn't very good or something? Usually it slows down for a second and picks back up and sometimes goes back and forth between the two, but today, after detailing for about 15 minutes it started to slow down and stay that way.

I've had the machine for a few years, but I've only used it on maybe 10 seperate occassions. It's clean and well kept. It never did this anywhere else but at my mother-in-laws.

I haven't tried a new cord yet; I need to buy one. Any reccommendations? Is this the most likely problem? She lives in a five year old house, so it's not like it's plugged into anything shady or something.

Feed back please

StuDLei
10-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Oh, it's your typical orange outdoor cord, maybe a bit smaller than what I've used in the past? I'm not sure.

StuDLei
10-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Just went and looked, it's only 16gauge, but I'm guessing it's 100ft, but according to some research I did on here, that should be more than capable? I noticed the cord had some cuts in it though- no wire showing, but the casing has some nicks in it. We're in the process of moving and have the entire garage packed with stuff, so I could only look at about 10 ft. of the cord right now. Maybe it has other spots that are breaking. Either way, I'm going to go buy a nice extension cord tomorrow. We're moving into a house next month, so I'll need one anways.

1oldsalt
10-15-2012, 12:38 AM
There could be a few things going on here. If the house has one of the new "smart Meters" on it that could be one issue. The power company can and does constantly adjust the power going to the house. Second thing, if there are too many houses in the area without the proper number of transformers you will get surging like that.
One thing you can do to test is plug in a house fan and listen to it run for a while. It's best if there is not too much background noise. If you can hear it dim and surge you know the problem is not with your Flex or your cord.

habeba86
10-15-2012, 12:43 AM
If it was the extension cord having too much resistance it should drop the rpm all the time, so it would seem kinda doggy all the time. Its probably a power issue with the wirng of the house or power going to the house. Check the plug voltage with a meter.

Rsurfer
10-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Try plugging it directly into a socket.

StuDLei
10-15-2012, 02:02 AM
There could be a few things going on here. If the house has one of the new "smart Meters" on it that could be one issue. The power company can and does constantly adjust the power going to the house. Second thing, if there are too many houses in the area without the proper number of transformers you will get surging like that.
One thing you can do to test is plug in a house fan and listen to it run for a while. It's best if there is not too much background noise. If you can hear it dim and surge you know the problem is not with your Flex or your cord.

Hmm. We let our fan run all night in our room as white noise, I've never heard it "dip" that I can recall. I've never really listened for it either though.

It's frustrating because I'm buffing on speed 5 and then the rpms drop like I switched to 3. It will go back and forth sporadically; a few seconds it's fine, a few it's not-- back and forth. Sometimes instead of a few seconds that interval will change to a minute, you get the idea.

StuDLei
10-15-2012, 02:06 AM
If it was the extension cord having too much resistance it should drop the rpm all the time, so it would seem kinda doggy all the time. Its probably a power issue with the wirng of the house or power going to the house. Check the plug voltage with a meter.

If it was a house issue, wouldn't the vacuum and stuff do the same thing? Never witnessed it.

Try plugging it directly into a socket.

I tried this and it runs fine, but it wasn't under pressure at all. I wasn't polishing because the cord isn't long enough.

jpegs13
10-15-2012, 03:32 AM
100' 16ga extension cord is the problem, too long and too light. As the wire heats up, you'll notice a voltage drop. Use a max 50' extension cord and at least 12ga.
Your fan has a small draw, hence the reason you won't hear it dip in RPM.

1oldsalt
10-15-2012, 04:07 AM

Good point jpegs13. I didn't think of that. My fan is from the 1940's. Probably draws a lot more than new ones.

BobbyG
10-15-2012, 05:35 AM
100' 16ga extension cord is the problem, too long and too light. As the wire heats up, you'll notice a voltage drop. Use a max 50' extension cord and at least 12ga.

Take this to the bank....:props:

There are charts available as long as you know the amperage draw of the tool. Use this when selecting the proper cord and it never hurts to go one gauge heavier on the cord.

Drop by your local home or hardware store and pick up a good 50 foot extension cord. This will solve your current problem and will last you a lifetime....:props:

StuDLei
10-15-2012, 09:18 PM
I went out and bought a very solid 50ft 12 gauge cord today and I still had the same issue. I tried a different outlet today too. It's probably something with the Flex itself, but I'm not sure what. Also, the only speed setting I think I have trouble with is 5. I just went ahead and used 6 with the 105 and 4 with 85rd. I don't think I had the problem on those settings, but I can't remember for absolutely sure. Either way, it wasn't much of an issue today because it didn't do it as much or at all on 4 or 6 that I can remember. I did use five the most often though so, IDK.

Any other ideas?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-15-2012, 09:36 PM
I was hoping to hear that you had it straightened out but after reading your update post it kind of concerns me as I just purchased a new 3401 and am waiting for it in the mail.

Sorry, dont have any advice to give.

Setec Astronomy
10-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Hmm. We let our fan run all night in our room as white noise, I've never heard it "dip" that I can recall. I've never really listened for it either though.

If it was a house issue, wouldn't the vacuum and stuff do the same thing? Never witnessed it.

Your house wiring is made up of many different circuits, some with different wire gauge and circuit breakers, and all with different loads. Just because other applicances that may be on different circuits don't have this problem, doesn't mean that the outlet you are using isn't on a circuit that has a high load, like a room air conditioner, etc.

As others have stated, the extension cord sounded like the problem, but it seems that you have corrected that and are still having the issue. It really sounds like it's a dirty speed control dial, I'm not sure what's inside there, but it's possible you may be able to use some contact cleaner on it, if you're adventurous, if not, it sounds like your Flex is headed to a service center.

PS About the house being only 5 years old and not having "shady" wiring, from all the stories I hear about how cheaply they build houses today, it wouldn't suprise me at all that the wiring in a new house is "shady", i.e. that they have not enough circuits.

StuDLei
10-15-2012, 10:04 PM
I was hoping to hear that you had it straightened out but after reading your update post it kind of concerns me as I just purchased a new 3401 and am waiting for it in the mail.

Sorry, dont have any advice to give.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much man, it might not even be the Flex. It never did this at my parents house where I used to use this all the time, so it could be something with the power at this house as others have mentioned.