PDA

View Full Version : White SS Paint is a Pain.

TOFAST4U2C
10-14-2012, 02:18 PM
I have had some reduction in the DA haze that has been haunting me but I still get alot of these little tick marks in the sunlight. I have tried M105 & 205. Orange, tangerine and white pads, Mothers machine glaze and some 3M machine polish. I cant get rid of the tick marks and they are hard for me to get to show up on a photo. You can see some surounding the sun dot in the photo below. I thought going less agressive pad and polish would help but no. I am sure I am doing something wrong. I just want to get it ready to put a coat of WGDGPS 3.0 and call it quits. There maybe some Collinite 845 on there that I did not remove, I just hit it with the DA as it was just corrected.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss286/jtramuta/Spotscopy_zps3fab4ce2.jpg

tuscarora dave
10-14-2012, 02:32 PM
They look a lot more like tiny gravel chips than tick marks to me. Perhaps it's something that is never going away and the more you try the more paint you remove. Titanium Dioxide SS paint is really hard and usually chips unlike soft paint where you'll see little dents from gravel hitting the paint. Either way if this is the case, the chips or dents are there to stay.

Of course I could be completely wrong there too. Was just the first thought that came to mind.

tuscarora dave
10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
As far as the gloss goes on single stage paint, I've found nothing to work better than Poorboy's World original formula Pro Polish at glossing up SS paints. How old is the paint? Has it ever had a good feeding of oils by using Meg's #7 show car glaze?

DaveT435
10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
They look a lot more like tiny gravel chips than tick marks to me. Perhaps it's something that is never going away and the more you try the more paint you remove. Titanium Dioxide SS paint is really hard and usually chips unlike soft paint where you'll see little dents from gravel hitting the paint. Either way if this is the case, the chips or dents are there to stay.

Of course I could be completely wrong there too. Was just the first thought that came to mind.

Do all the SS's have the Titanium Dioxide paint? Referring to the three upgrade paints. The Red Jewel Tint, I don't know the name of the others...one is Inferno Orange I believe...then there is the bright green one. Are they the same type of paint as the other SS's??

tuscarora dave
10-14-2012, 02:43 PM
The titanium dioxide is what is used to make white SS paint white. It also makes it very hard too. So I'd say just shades of white SS paints contain titanium dioxide.

DaveT435
10-14-2012, 03:23 PM
The titanium dioxide is what is used to make white SS paint white. It also makes it very hard too. So I'd say just shades of white SS paints contain titanium dioxide.
Ok...thanks...haven't done any painting since the 70's...things have changed. lol

TOFAST4U2C
10-14-2012, 04:55 PM

These little things are everywhere. Most visable on the sides at tops of panels. It reminds me of a sand blasted windshield kinda pit that you dont see till the sun is in the right spot. I cant feel them with my finger nail and hand glaze didnt do a thing. I figured if I worked at it long enough I could cut the paint down to a cleaner level.I have been over this car 3 times and I guess its not gonna happen.
I just did a 12 year old Ford SUV with blue clear coat and it was a mirror in direct sun without any marks before any wax.

I have some M7 coming but I dont think it will help. The paint is clean. I will give it a dose if I have any energy left when it gets here.

rwright
10-14-2012, 05:39 PM
If orange isn't touching it and it's hard paint, something tells me that a heavier cut pad is needed. I don't know what vehicle you're working on but I worked on a single stage white Toyota 4-Runner and the owner was only willing to pony up for a 1 step polish, the only thing that was acceptable to me ended being M105 on Lake Country Cyan hydro tech pad. This was prior to the release of microfiber pads and the Surbuf was leaving tic marks.

TOFAST4U2C
10-14-2012, 06:00 PM
If orange isn't touching it and it's hard paint, something tells me that a heavier cut pad is needed. I don't know what vehicle you're working on but I worked on a single stage white Toyota 4-Runner and the owner was only willing to pony up for a 1 step polish, the only thing that was acceptable to me ended being M105 on Lake Country Cyan hydro tech pad. This was prior to the release of microfiber pads and the Surbuf was leaving tic marks.

Its a 05 Toyota Camry. I have a Lake Country Ultra-Fiber Dual Action Microfiber coming this week, you think that would do it with M105?

mg6045
10-14-2012, 06:15 PM
thats road rash from highway driving. same exact thing as whats on the windshield. Most every car has this that drives on the highway's. The only way to avoid it is to trailer your vehicle..

you've got to live with this one.

You may want to look up pictures of DA Haze/tick marks. Its nothing of the like to what you have shown.

rwright
10-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Its a 05 Toyota Camry. I have a Lake Country Ultra-Fiber Dual Action Microfiber coming this week, you think that would do it with M105?

Those pads are mean on some paints, especially when combined with M105. Have you worked with microfiber pads? If not there is a learning curve over foam.

TOFAST4U2C
10-18-2012, 08:36 PM
The MF pads have arrived and I have never used a MF pad before. Any hints on keeping the learning curve safe??