PDA

View Full Version : How much Collinite 915 should I put on my pad?

99ParkAve
10-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Hello everybody,

Well its that time of the year again, when those of us with our cherished DD's msut take advantage of the final warm days of the year to winterize our vehicles. Today is my lucky day in that after 4 weeks of sub-60 degree rain and leaf-dropping, we have one final sunny 70 degree day. I am going to wash my Buick, clay it , and then apply Klasse AIO and, my LSP of choice, Collinite 915. I successfully put a thin coat on by hand in May, but this time I would like to use the PC 7424 to speed things up.

My question for all of you today is this: what physical amount of 915 do you recommend putting on the 5.5" pad? I have read almost all of the posts on 915's application and removal, and while I understand the basic idea is to get it insanely thin, I've never seen an actual amount specified.

So, can anyone give me a ballpark estimate of what physical size you'd recommend placing on the pad? Dime-sized? Finger-tip sized? .25"? I've included a photo of the Collinite tin (4.25" in diameter) and the 5.5" pad for visual reference.

Thanks in advance!

alko
10-14-2012, 10:08 AM
THIN! It's a PITA to remove if you put it on too think. If you think you've got alot on your pad, chances are you probably do.

Pats300zx
10-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Like Alko said.."Thin is in" with 915. Too much and it can be a real PITA to remove. It really is a hidden gem and gives a great look.

BobbyG
10-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Scoop out 4 dime size globs and place them about 1/2" or so in from the outer edge of the pad. Place the pad and product on the finish, set the polisher speed to 3 then switch it on. Believe it or not this is enough to adequately cover the average sine hood.

99ParkAve
10-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Ah, THAT's the answer I was looking for!

I think I actually came to the same conclusion just now; I decided to experiment a little while I was waiting for some replies and found that with roughly the same dime-size amount I was covering about one panel (half a hood) before reapplying, as seen in the photo below. I do appreciate the confirmation, though.

It may be bit thinner than I wanted, but I know with 915 the best application is the one where you question whether you put any on at all, so I think I got it!

Thanks for the feedback, and if you have any other comments do let me know. I've also included a picture of the Park Ave now all prepped for winter!

tuscarora dave
10-14-2012, 03:05 PM
You got it!! Sometimes the question, "how far can I spread it" is more important than how much to apply to the pad. Nice Ultra!! When times get tough, sometimes I think about selling mine. I just can't bring myself to do it though.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/001-15.jpg

99ParkAve
10-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Yessir, I believe I did finally master the all-mighty Collinite!

I know exactly how you feel about selling. The other day I saw an ad on a bulletin board at college for a mint condition 2000 Saab 9-3 asking only $4200. My Ultra's frame is in great shape but the door bottoms are really starting to succumb to Pennsylvania winters...

But on my way home I let the supercharger open up and I forgot all about that Saab! Yours looks pretty sharp too!

tuscarora dave
10-14-2012, 03:51 PM
I am seeing the same problem under the wrapped black vinyl on the rockers of mine. What part of PA are you from? I'm in the Harrisburg area.

BuckeyeR/T
10-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Best way for me to remove 915 is the MF bonnet over a hard pad.

99ParkAve
10-24-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm from the northeast around Erie; plenty of salt around here in the winter.

I should have tried that bonnet method. I was thinking that a wool pad with the bonnet may not give enough adhesion to remove the wax. I'll try it on my next detailing job, which may be sooner than I expected if this nice weather keeps up.