PDA

View Full Version : Winterized my Subie with Duragloss

micvog
10-13-2012, 08:28 PM
I got my white pearl '12 Subaru Legacy ready for winter. I clayed it and went with three coats of DuraGloss due to its reputation for durability.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image4.jpg

There are no before pics - the car was in good shape and looked new. Here is the obligatory after pic:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image5.jpg

For those who use Duragloss, I have a question. I used a PC at speed 3, LC CCS pads and made 3-4 passes with each coat. There was very little to wipe off if at all. I used about 3.5-4oz. with each coat. Is that typical? If not, what did I do wrong?

dcjredline
10-13-2012, 08:51 PM
looks nice!!

rwright
10-13-2012, 09:55 PM
That is typical of Duragloss, when applied in thin coats it sort of disappears into the paint. Now if you apply it heavy handed you will experience residue.

Did you receive these as pre-mixed samples or did you mix them yourself?

KoshiL
10-14-2012, 03:45 AM
looks good!

BobbyG
10-14-2012, 06:12 AM
The first time I used those three products I was shocked at the results. I had no idea that Duragloss produced such outstanding products especially for the price.

Gloss, Clarity, and Protection are simply stunning....:props:

Nice job! :dblthumb2:

Shortspark
10-14-2012, 06:58 AM
Duragloss is about the only brand of detailing products I use in terms of polish, sealants and topper/refresh type products (Fast and Easy Shine and AquaWax are what I mean by refresh and "toppers"). Incidentally, I noticed on your bottles where you mixed the polish and sealants with the bonding agent, you noted "white", "blue" and "red" for 501, 105 and 111, respectively. I assume these are the color pads you used? If so, are they Griot's pads, LC or what? I have several Uber 5 1/2" pads and a few Griot 6" but I'm not sure which ones I need to use for what product. I simply use the ones marked "wax and sealant" or "finish" pads for everything. Since my brand new car does not need any correction at this time I do not use any pads that are more aggressive.

SubieMonte
10-14-2012, 07:59 AM
SubieMonte approved! Nice Leggy!

Eandras
10-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Looks good. When you wipe off was it more just to buff and bring a shine?

I was looking at Duragloss as a new product to use in the future once I empty some of arsenal.

Ed

MadMerc
10-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Very nice! :xyxthumbs:
I purchased a Pearl White (actually Platinum White Tri-coat Metallic) Ford last Spring, and was turned on to Duragloss by KlasseAct here on the AG forums.
Couldn't be happier with the results.

micvog
10-14-2012, 10:12 AM
@dcjredline, @KoshieL, @SubieMonte, @BobbieG, @MadMerc -
Thanks for the compliments.

@rwwright -
I mixed them myself right before application. "Disappearing" is exactly the way to describe it. Glad to know that is typical.

@Shortspark -
I used LC CCS pads and yes the colors refer to the pad.

@Eandras -
The wipe down was mostly to bring back more shine and remove trace amounts of hazing.

KillaCam
10-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Doesn't the 601 prep the paint for bonding? In that case, wouldn't it be stripping the previous layer of protection you put on for the other two layers following the first one?

micvog
10-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Doesn't the 601 prep the paint for bonding?

My understanding is that it only accelerates the curing process so that you can do multiple coats in one day, sort of like Zaino ZFX.

MadMerc
10-14-2012, 03:15 PM
My understanding is that it only accelerates the curing process so that you can do multiple coats in one day, sort of like Zaino ZFX.

Exactly. It also adds a bit more durability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online