PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on right fine scratch remover

CDN SS
10-13-2012, 01:07 PM
New here looking to learn and do the work myself plan to order a DA so want to go slow and not ruin my paint as I learn therefore

Based on "least agressive product to do the job " what would you all suggest for use with a DA

My Restored musclecar car's paint is 6 years old / has been wet sanded and buffed no orange peel/ no swirls / no sanding scratches but do get an occaisonal fine scratch from wiping especially on roof / hood /trunkl plus I do have a bird dropping mark and some type11 water spots on roof .... right or wrong I tried to remove water spots and bird drop mark with white rubbing compund by hand ......did not work well and left scratches in clear I was able to get it looking very good with Wizards "Shine master " by hand .....cant see any scratches/ marks in the sunlight but under flurescent lights I can still see them

Paint is BC/CC DuPont Chroma Premiere base metallic / Clear is Dupont "Productive Clear"

Original GM color Aztec Bronze ....

I would to know if a product like Meg Ultimate Compound is suitable for me to use to keep up the paint when I do get the odd fine scratch etc or is it too agressive ?? open to all suggestions ....... understanding I am new to using a DA

ihaveacamaro
10-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Megs Ultimate Polish might be a little better than Meguiars Ultimate Compound in terms of being less aggressive.

I would get the DA and use Optimum Hyper Polish. Love my OHP! Minimal dusting and good correcting on correcting pads and good finishing on finishing pads :)

CDN SS
10-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks for replying ......so what you are saying is for regular maintenance of the paint like fine scratches from wiping etc just use a quality polish like Opt Hyper with a DA .........will that type of product actually take out those scratches or does it just fill in the scratch ??

For the existing water spots ets ......assuming Meg Ultimate compound is what I need using a DA

CDN SS
10-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Optimum Hyper Polish ....WOW I just did a search on it .....if it works as they say that is exactly what I need so dependant on the pad it actuaslly removes fine scratcches and polish's and sounds easy to use for a new to DA user

DaveT435
10-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Optimum Hyper Polish ....WOW I just did a search on it .....if it works as they say that is exactly what I need so dependant on the pad it actuaslly removes fine scratcches and polish's and sounds easy to use for a new to DA user

I agree. Hyper polish is great. Get a good assortment of pads andyou should be able to accomplish everything you want to.

CDN SS
10-14-2012, 12:03 PM
What do you use to clean the OPT Hyper polish off the pads ?

tuscarora dave
10-14-2012, 12:26 PM
I like to use this photo to show what "Optimum Finish" can do, which is even less abrasive/aggressive than Optimum Hyper Polish. Optimum Finish will remove the fine scratches that you're talking about and the gloss is incredible. Optimum Finish uses non diminishing super fine abrasives (finer than Hyper Polish) so there is no need to break down the abrasives which means it's just a work it until you get the results you are looking for deal. Hyper Polish works the same way but is just a little more abrasive than Optimum Finish.

For the record, I did chemically strip the Ford truck in the photo to ensure that I was actually getting correction rather than just filling in scratches. The truck had light swirls and scratches so the OF really was a surprise to me being it's Optimum's least abrasive polish without wax or sealant in it. A coat of Collinite #845 was applied to the truck after the polishing was done with a Flex 3401 with a finishing pad.

Optimum Finish is your least abrasive option in the Optimum polish lineup.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/002-16.jpg

CDN SS
10-14-2012, 12:40 PM
I like to use this photo to show what "Optimum Finish" can do, which is even less abrasive/aggressive than Optimum Hyper Polish. Optimum Finish will remove the fine scratches that you're talking about and the gloss is incredible. Optimum Finish uses non diminishing super fine abrasives (finer than Hyper Polish) so there is no need to break down the abrasives which means it's just a work it until you get the results you are looking for deal. Hyper Polish works the same way but is just a little more abrasive than Optimum Finish.

For the record, I did chemically strip the Ford truck in the photo to ensure that I was actually getting correction rather than just filling in scratches. The truck had light swirls and scratches so the OF really was a surprise to me being it's Optimum's least abrasive polish without wax or sealant in it. A coat of Collinite #845 was applied to the truck after the polishing was done with a Flex 3401 with a finishing pad.

Optimum Finish is your least abrasive option in the Optimum polish lineup.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/002-16.jpg

Hmmm I understand what your saying .... hard to describe what my paint is like right now , you may be correct maybe I only need the polish .......now that I understand it will actually remove fine scratches not just fill in ......not to bore folks with a video of my car but this is best pic I have of the paint today

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhvDGOO4JAI]Bill Waters 66 Chevelle - YouTube[/video]

tuscarora dave
10-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Sweet ride!! Not boring at all!! The Optimum Finish isn't going to remove the type 2 water etchings but it will be the least abrasive product from Optimum for use as a Maintenance polish that needs to be topped with a wax, sealant or a coating.

If you can't learn to live with the water spotting, something more aggressive/abrasive will certainly be needed to level the paint around them.

CDN SS
10-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the response's Dave I have alot better understanding of what I need now ......... waters spots yes that was a one time thing .....leaky roof in a shop where it stored for a week I wont let water sit on it again ... Does it make sense to get both Optimum Hyper spray polish for the water spots etc problem areas and the Finish Polish for the maintenance of paint as you sugest and of course the proper pads for the use

tuscarora dave
10-14-2012, 03:21 PM
It would make more sense to have something more aggressive/abrasive than hyper polish if the water etchings are deep ones. If they are more of a superficial etching, (not deep at all but still etched nonetheless) the Optimum Finish should work if you want to spend a lot of time on it. If you are in a hurry to remove them, then I'd think something like Optimum compound 2 (which is actually not really all that aggressive compared to something like Meg's M-105) would be a good thing to have on hand.

If you do go with Optimum products, I'd suggest getting the smallest bottles available because while Optimum makes superb products, their shelf life is limited and they do separate after a season or 2 on the shelf. I believe they sit on the shelf at AG for too long to begin with because I've gotten a few bottles separated right out of the box from AG.

I buy Optimum products directly from the manufacturer as a result of the above mentioned experiences.

DaveT435
10-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the response's Dave I have alot better understanding of what I need now ......... waters spots yes that was a one time thing .....leaky roof in a shop where it stored for a week I wont let water sit on it again ... Does it make sense to get both Optimum Hyper spray polish for the water spots etc problem areas and the Finish Polish for the maintenance of paint as you sugest and of course the proper pads for the use
I think that would be a good option. Sweet car!!! I just got some optimum finish polish...haven't used it yet...nice to see those kind of results.