PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Coat on License Plates?

Chris's FX4
10-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm getting some new personalized plates for the truck and since plate covers are illegal in Illinois, I'm considering putting Opti-Coat on them.

Has anyone done this? What about the back of the plate? I assume it can be done, just wanted to make sure.

On a side note, what is the shelf life of OC? I saw a post by Chris that as long as it is air tight, the shelf life is almost unlimited. Anyone care to comment on this? I'm bringing this up because I would be opening the OC just for the plates when I get them, and then not using it again till next spring.

ihaveacamaro
10-12-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm getting some new personalized plates for the truck and since plate covers are illegal in Illinois, I'm considering putting Opti-Coat on them.

Has anyone done this? What about the back of the plate? I assume it can be done, just wanted to make sure.

On a side note, what is the shelf life of OC? I saw a post by Chris that as long as it is air tight, the shelf life is almost unlimited. Anyone care to comment on this? I'm bringing this up because I would be opening the OC just for the plates when I get them, and then not using it again till next spring.

I've read Chris's comment that as long as you switch back from the applicator tip (blue one) to the storage tip (black one), you should be fine.

Chris's FX4
10-12-2012, 02:55 PM
I've read Chris's comment that as long as you switch back from the applicator tip (blue one) to the storage tip (black one), you should be fine.
Okay, thanks.:xyxthumbs:

Anyone got anything regarding Opti-Coating the license plates?

mg6045
10-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Okay, thanks.:xyxthumbs:

Anyone got anything regarding Opti-Coating the license plates?

Most license plates are low quality single stage paints. So i'm not sure how long opti-coat will last as far as being permanent. But, I would use it anyway as its gonna be better than anything else you can put on them. The back is uncoated and you could use opti-coat on that as well. but i'm thinking its probably a waste of time as I have plates from the early 80's that have not significantly oxidized.

Baconz2012
10-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Most license plates are low quality single stage paints. So i'm not sure how long opti-coat will last as far as being permanent. But, I would use it anyway as its gonna be better than anything else you can put on them. The back is uncoated and you could use opti-coat on that as well. but i'm thinking its probably a waste of time as I have plates from the early 80's that have not significantly oxidized.

Yup, or if you're feeling a little adventurous you could apply a clear coat to the plate. I have these custom retro looking license plates for my jeep. I got em and clear coated them with rattle cans. Let the clear harden and cure for about 2 months. And now I just wax the plate every now and then.

Chris's FX4
10-13-2012, 03:57 PM

Alright thanks. Its not necessarily them oxidizing that I'm worried, but rather making it harder for bugs, dirt, and iron particles sticking to them. I think I'm going to try OC on them when I get them and see how it goes.

Yup, or if you're feeling a little adventurous you could apply a clear coat to the plate. I have these custom retro looking license plates for my jeep. I got em and clear coated them with rattle cans. Let the clear harden and cure for about 2 months. And now I just wax the plate every now and then.

Interesting tip, not that adventurous though. I wax my current plates now anyway.

bigez
10-13-2012, 08:48 PM
I opti-coated my license plate. It seems to help... For good measure, I use opti-seal on it too every now and then just because it's soO easy. It's pretty clean looking..lol.

JSFM35x
10-13-2012, 11:39 PM
I did this and there are no ill effects and they are easy to clean.