PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and sunlight question

Conway9
10-12-2012, 08:53 AM
First, hi.

Came across this site looking for 'details' (sorry) on upping my game for keeping my car up to my obsessive standards. Love the interaction on these forums.

Second, I'm a complete noob - literally just getting started with some of the advanced techniques talked about here and I can see myself getting addicted.

With golf season winding down, I am planning on spending my Saturday in my driveway with my car. My problem is that I have neither a garage nor shade. I've been reading about how working in direct sunlight is a bib no-no. Is this a sunlight issue, or a paint temperature issue? The bad news is that Saturday is supposed to by bright and sunny. The good news is that temps in the Philly area are supposed to stay in the 50s.

Am I OK to go ahead with my 'me time' on Saturday?

Setec Astronomy
10-12-2012, 08:57 AM
It's a paint temperature issue. Also a water-drying issue, if you are washing, and soap/rinse water dry on the surface and you can get spotting. This can really happen any time, wind and ambient humidity are factors.

The paint can get quite warm in the sun, even in the 50's...but don't let that stop you from your detailing, you'll be fine!

piscott
10-12-2012, 09:30 AM
I also have shade issues. I spoke with a local automatic car wash owner.... he allows me to use his covered area, vac and electricity for the minimum wash price...$5.00. I wash and dry at home then pack up my equipment/products and drive there. Of course, I don't use the car wash as it will create paint issues.

wangotango
10-12-2012, 09:42 AM
welcome.
you'll notice that most/all product explanations, descriptions, and/or videos always say to use on paint that's 'cool to the touch'.
most of these products are all about chemistry.
heat is a big player as it changes everything.
but that's just chemistry.

Bunky
10-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Welcome !

As said before, paint temp is key to have issues with streaking, etc.