PDA

View Full Version : Wax sticks?

Kinalyx
10-11-2012, 12:41 PM
I seem to only be able to find 2 wax sticks on the planet, the Griots one, and the Dodo. Is there a reason that no one else makes them? I would love to do some machine application of waxes, but i just feel that removing a nice wax from its jar is too risky, if i drop it, i just lost an entire jar of wax.

Is there a way to melt wax down and pour it into a cleaned out deodorant tube?

Shawn

rcomito
10-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Hey Shawn - I imagine you could melt the wax in a double-boiler and pour it into an empty deodorant dispenser. (<- google)

I've been thinking about this since the first time a saw the Griot's product. I just never pulled the trigger.

Rick

EDIT: Apparently I'm not the only one thinking about this. See below.

cleanmycorolla
10-11-2012, 01:18 PM
"feslope" had a nice little post on this not too far back

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/50056-can-you-melt-paste-wax.html#post672166

Meghan
10-11-2012, 01:21 PM
I would love to chime in, we have tried this and have carried other's wax sticks. We always get the complaint the wax cracks and crumbles up in the stick so we have decided not to carry them anymore due to that. But it is very convenient when applying wax to a pad.

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2012, 01:27 PM
I would love to chime in, we have tried this and have carried other's wax sticks. We always get the complaint the wax cracks and crumbles up in the stick so we have decided not to carry them anymore due to that. But it is very convenient when applying wax to a pad.

Eh...I almost never apply paste wax to a pad, but a tongue depressor or popsicle stick works fine, others use plastic knives, I think AG made the right decision on the wax sticks.

golliger
10-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Mothers CG Pure Carnauba paste comes in a tin that's big enough to get a 5.5" pad in.

cleanmycorolla
10-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Mothers CG Pure Carnauba paste comes in a tin that's big enough to get a 5.5" pad in.
In addition to being a great price for a good wax, the wide mouth is ideal for those 5.5 flat pads!