PDA

View Full Version : Leather maintenance

joche26
10-10-2012, 09:33 AM
I've been using leatherique for my leather care. I love the way it leaves your leather all smooth and clean, but i find it a little bit of a hassle the process of waiting a few hours to a day for it to be efficient. I can do the leatherique once a year and maybe another product that you guys can recomend for once a month maintenance. My seats are Nappa leather (at least thats what the manufacturer's order for says).

dcjredline
10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
I like the Detailers Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Areosol. Works very nice and inexpensive enough for once a month

Twister
10-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I've been using Leather Master and I've been very happy with it and the leather feels nice and soft once I'm finished.

Detail Lady
10-10-2012, 10:51 AM
I like to use Meg's Leather cleaner with Conditioner.

joche26
10-10-2012, 11:25 AM
I've been using Leather Master and I've been very happy with it and the leather feels nice and soft once I'm finished.
I've been looking a lot at this product, is it simple enough for a once a month treatment?

NYYYCEandEEEEZY
10-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Although I've used it only once, I was also very pleased with the results after applying Leatherique. Much, much better results than some other products I've used! However, like you, I also found it to be a little inconvenient and time consuming to wait the better part of a day to get the desired results. Nevertheless, given the result, I plan to now use it twice a year.

My '89 MB 560SL is a sunny-day driver only. It's not a daily driver. In addition, although it's almost 25 years old, except for feeling a little hard and dry prior to the treatment, the leather was already in very good condition so, to me, given the smooth, soft, clean feel of the seats, etc. following the Leatherique treatment, the little time investment twice a year seems worth the trouble.

Just a question...Unless you're really hard on your leather, or it gets so dirty that you feel compelled to clean and treat it each month, wouldn't it be just as easy to increase your Leatherique treatment to 2X yearly (e.g.Spring and Fall), and get the fantastic result from a product with which you're already familiar, and from which you're already getting really good results?

joche26
10-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Just a question...Unless you're really hard on your leather, or it gets so dirty that you feel compelled to clean and treat it each month, wouldn't it be just as easy to increase your Leatherique treatment to 2X yearly (e.g.Spring and Fall), and get the fantastic result from a product with which you're already familiar, and from which you're already getting really good results?
Well, the thing is my last car which had leather seats too I neglected them and paid the price of the leather cracking. The sun down here hits hard and i really dont want to go thru that again, so with this car im being over protective. The part of the seat that concerned me the most is the lip of the seat were you put your but once you get into the car and then slide to your driving position ( I dont know if I explained that well).

Divine Details
10-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Instead Of doing the Whole leatherique system try just using the pristine clean. sprary it rub it in a litte and let sit for about 15 min. then clean it up with a damp microfiber like normal.

good luck

joche26
10-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Instead Of doing the Whole leatherique system try just using the pristine clean. sprary it rub it in a litte and let sit for about 15 min. then clean it up with a damp microfiber like normal.

good luck
I think I will do just that!! Thanks

Rsurfer
10-10-2012, 03:25 PM

good luck

:iagree:Great maintenance product.:xyxthumbs:

judyb
10-13-2012, 04:55 AM
Maintaining leather should only be a case of keeping it clean. Remember on most modern auto leather we are only dealing with the top surface coating and not the leather itself. Keeping the surface clean will prolong the life of the finish and keep it in goid condition.
The easiest way to maintain your leather is to use a good quality leather protector - this will make the surface easier to clean and prevent any dirt from acting as an abbrasive which will wear out the finish - followed by a maintenance product - this should be a simple spray and wipe product which is quick and easy to use so will be used frequently therefore keeping the finish free from dirt.
Using an appropriate maintenance product should preserve any protector that has been applied - most cleaners will remove the protector meaning that it has to be reapplied.
Your leather finish can then be deep cleaned once or twice a year and the protector reapplied.

Hope this helps
Judyb

hoyt66
10-13-2012, 05:18 AM
Maintaining leather should only be a case of keeping it clean. Remember on most modern auto leather we are only dealing with the top surface coating and not the leather itself. Keeping the surface clean will prolong the life of the finish and keep it in goid condition.
The easiest way to maintain your leather is to use a good quality leather protector - this will make the surface easier to clean and prevent any dirt from acting as an abbrasive which will wear out the finish - followed by a maintenance product - this should be a simple spray and wipe product which is quick and easy to use so will be used frequently therefore keeping the finish free from dirt.
Using an appropriate maintenance product should preserve any protector that has been applied - most cleaners will remove the protector meaning that it has to be reapplied.
Your leather finish can then be deep cleaned once or twice a year and the protector reapplied.

Hope this helps
Judyb

This topic gets brought up alot including by me a few times. I think this plan is spot on for coated leathers. Great explanation and maintenance plan JudyB

cmichael258
10-13-2012, 07:57 AM
I love the Leather Master products and recently started using Ultima Interior Guard.