PDA

View Full Version : Automotive AC Service Tools

George Brown
10-10-2012, 02:22 AM
Hello Guys,

Recharging Tools
Recharging the air-conditioning in a vehicle correctly requires care and special tools. The main tool in this process is a recharging station, a large machine that connects to the vehicle's air-conditioning service ports and delivers the refrigerant. It also heats the refrigerant to turn it into vapor and measures the amount of refrigerant, in ounces, as it goes into the system. This machine also has gauges to monitor the system pressure. Another tool that greatly aids the recharging is an oil injector, which adds lubricating oil to the refrigerant as it is put into the air-conditioning system.

Evacuation Tool
There is only one proper way to evacuate any automotive refrigerant, and that is by using an EPA-certified evacuation or recovery machine. This machine, sometimes part of a charging station, creates a small vacuum inside the air-conditioning system and pulls all of the old refrigerant into a tank for reuse or disposal. Every type of refrigerant serviced in a shop must have its own recovery machine to prevent cross-contamination, per federal law.

Monitoring Tool
The main monitoring tools for automotive air-conditioning systems are called manifold hoses. This is a set of two hoses, one for the high-side and one for the low-side of the air-conditioning, that connect to the air-conditioning service ports of the vehicle. Each hose is attached to a pressure gauge and is used to measure the pressures in the high- and low-sides of the system. These hoses help a technician know if there is a system clog and whether the compressor is properly cycling.

Leak Detection Tools
R12 and R134a refrigerants are harmful to the atmosphere, so when a leak occurs, it is imperative to locate and properly repair it. There are two tools used to locate leaks, one being more precise than the other. A sniffer is the most basic leak detection tool. It tests the air for refrigerant and emits an audible beep that increases in pitch as the amount of refrigerant in the air becomes greater, assisting the technician in finding the source of the leak. The more precise tool is a U.V. detection kit. Refrigerant with a U.V. tinted dye is injected into the air-conditioning system, then a black light and U.V. glasses are used to locate the dye spraying from the system.

Thanks and Regards
George Brown

Mike Phillips
10-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Ha ha...

One characteristic I love in people is tenacity...

Before anyone replies, read through this guys posting history, if you don't know how to check and read through a person's posting history, just click on their name once and a drop down box will appear and then select

Find more posts by George Brown

:dunno:

FUNX650
10-10-2012, 07:45 AM
EPA-certified

...per federal law.

R12 and R134a refrigerants are harmful to the atmosphere

Mr. Brown
AGO Forum Member
@autogeekonline.net

Sir:

Being that I currently own a 1970 Monte Carlo with an OEM-equipped A-6 compressor
that, here lately, has been intermittantly running "hot&cold"; and, since I believe I need
this unit serviced, but, would really like to keep this vehicle as Stock/Original as possible...
(maintaining the OEM accessories, for example);
but, as others have, no doubt, I've come to distrust and am wary of many Auto Service Centers.

Therefore, I am hoping you may offer some guidance as it pertains to MAC servicing.

As such...

-Besides MAC equipment...Must a MAC Technician also be EPA certified?

-If so...Is it a Federal law, then, to be so EPA-certified?

-What affect, if any, do these particular EPA/Federal Laws have on the 'Shade-Tree' mechanics (like me :D)?

-What is/are the penalty(ies) [fine(s)]---if caught/reported for:
a.) Not being EPA certified and performing MAC service?
b.) Releasing harmful refrigerants into the atmosphere?

-Is using a "sniffer" the best method/practice for detecting refrigerant leaks in automotive cooling systems?

-Is R134A refrigerant "ozone-friendly"?

-Is R12 refrigerant still available for consumers' purchasing?

Thanks in advance for any information you may provide in regards to the above inquiries.

:)

Still having FUN...Bob