PDA

View Full Version : Where is the shine?

joche26
10-09-2012, 01:20 PM
So i've been reading a lot about the shine coming from the polishing, so why are waxes such as Fuzion cost so much? What roll does the wax play, is it a protection layer or does it makes a diff on shine?

FUNX650
10-09-2012, 01:37 PM
So i've been reading a lot about the shine coming from the polishing,

^^^Polishing should cause "smoothness"^^^
Smoothness allows for a better shine/reflections/DOI---Distinction Of Image).

so why are waxes such as Fuzion cost so much?

^^^The expense of many waxes has been debated many times^^^

Only the end-user can decide if the costs(expense) are, to them:
Worth it, or not...IMO.

What roll does the wax play, is it a protection layer

^^^It's a sacrificial barrier---that: "Protects"...until it has become eroded^^^

or does it makes a diff on shine?

An LSP should not mute the underlying paint-film.
Hopefully it will also impart some more shine/gloss.

It's a good idea to always apply an LSP after polishing...IMHO.

:)

Bob

Mike Phillips
10-09-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure what the exact definition of the word shine is as it relates to car paint, I now what it is when I see it though.

I think shine is the result from a combination of things, prep work, both the correction and polishing and then sealing, whether it be a car wax, synthetic paint sealant or coating.

yakky
10-09-2012, 02:17 PM
A lot of people don't really polish to perfection, so certain LSPs will add a good amount of gloss. But even a perfectly polished surface can benefit from an LSP. You can't really get a glow from polishing like you can from a carnauba.

joche26
10-09-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure what the exact definition of the word shine is as it relates to car paint, I now what it is when I see it though.

What I mean when i say shine is getting that wet look, its confusing when you read a product description and they say that X wax/sealant will give you the ultimate dripping paint wet look, but when you come to the forum you read that that perfect wet look, pop, shine, dripping paint etc... comes from all the prep work you do before waxing/sealing.

Chris's FX4
10-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Not sure who was the first to say this, but it has been said before, "95% of the look is in the prep."

Meaning if the paint is prepped right, someone could make it look just as good with basic Turtle Wax as it would with Fuzion.

I would opt for the Fuzion of course.:D

Rsurfer
10-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Not sure who was the first to say this, but it has been said before, "95% of the look is in the prep."

Meaning if the paint is prepped right, someone could make it look just as good with basic Turtle Wax as it would with Fuzion.

I would opt for the Fuzion of course.:D
:iagree:The lsp is to protect the 3 day's of polishing you just did.:props:

joche26
10-09-2012, 03:36 PM
:iagree:The lsp is to protect the 3 day's of polishing you just did.:props:
jajajajaja!!! Ok so lets make sure i do a good job protecting it!!!!

swanicyouth
10-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Some LSPs do look better than others. It seems there is an overseas relationship between an LSP's looks and how long it lasts - but not always vice-versa. Fuzion and Souveran are sold here, super easy to apply, and are tops in looks. Easy solution. P21S waxes also look good.

However, as said before, most is on the prep. However, if I'm going to sweat over my car for several days polishing I'm not going to pinch pennies in the protection department. If detailing is enjoyable to you (it is to me), why not go for nice products that have provided many with impressive results?

Rsurfer
10-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Some LSPs do look better than others. It seems there is an overseas relationship between an LSP's looks and how long it lasts - but not always vice-versa. Fuzion and Souveran are sold here, super easy to apply, and are tops in looks. Easy solution. P21S waxes also look good.

However, as said before, most is on the prep. However, if I'm going to sweat over my car for several days polishing I'm not going to pinch pennies in the protection department. If detailing is enjoyable to you (it is to me), why not go for nice products that have provided many with impressive results?
Very true.:dblthumb2: