PDA

View Full Version : Duragloss 751 Rain Repel Review

Pages : [1] 2

Pats300zx
10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
I have noticed some good reviews on Duragloss 751 Rain Repel from forum members and decided to give it a try and compare it to Rain-X. I was in the market for a new less expensive rain repellent and this seemed to fit the bill. The product is listed as a glass cleaner with rain repellent qualities. I figured it would be a good product to test on my work car since it seems to get the most daily use including driving in the rain.

Name: Duragloss 751 Rain Repel Glass Cleaner
Price: $8.99
Bottle Size: 22oz

http://www.detailcity.org/gallery/data//618/751.jpg

Directions and Instruction:

Per Bottle Label:

1. Spray onto surface.
2. Wipe dry with cloth or towel
3. For heavily soiled surfaces repeat above.

NOTE: It clearly states on the bottle RECOMMENDED FOR EXTERIOR SURFACES ONLY

Product Description (from Duragloss website): Is a ph-balanced blend of cleaners and siloxanes which cleans glass surfaces while imparting a water-repellent treatment. It can also be diluted 4:1 with water and added to windshield washer reservoir. Exterior use only.

Performance: I used 751 with a waffle weave glass towel to clean my windows. The product cleaned the glass really well and left no smearing or hazing. I did find it interesting that his product can be diluted at a 4:1 ratio and added to your windshield washer reservoir.

Ability to Clean: 4 out of 5. Seemed to cut through surface dirt with ease.
It it repels water like Rain-X I see this product as a plus since you could use one product alone instead of having to use a glass cleaner and then apply Rain-X.

Water Repellency: I really haven’t gotten a chance to drive but will report back my findings on it’s durability.

Cons: Only real con that I see is that it states that it has to be used on exterior surfaces only. This product won’t eliminate a regular glass cleaner since you would still need a product for interior glass.

Flash Gordon
10-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the review Pat. Nicely done!

Cons: Only real con that I see is that it states that it has to be used on exterior surfaces only. This product won’t eliminate a regular glass cleaner since you would still need a product for interior glass.

I don't get this part? Did you use to use Rain X to clean your interior glass?

I tried Fog X once and it made my windows fog up like crazy!!! The stuff should be renamed Fog UR Windows Up Like Crazy X

I will have to try the DG 751 per your review, as I go through boatloads of rain repellant :props:

Chris's FX4
10-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Nice review, now another product to try.:xyxthumbs:

Please keep us updated how this lasts. The adding it to the washer fluid part is indeed interesting.

Pats300zx
10-08-2012, 04:29 PM
I don't get this part? Did you use to use Rain X to clean your interior glass?

Flash..no I meant that you would need a dedicated glass cleaner for interior use as well since Rain Repel is listed for exterior use only. :xyxthumbs:

Nick McKees37
10-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks for sharing Pat.

I have a bottle of this at home and I discovered that it works exceptionally well on glass that is hot to the touch; something of which is unusual for most glass cleaners. It doesn't smell like your typical glass cleaner either.

Another affordable product from Duragloss that stacks up with the best of them. :props:

Klasse Act
10-08-2012, 04:41 PM
I will be trying this as well, I'm a DG junkie!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Flash Gordon
10-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Flash..no I meant that you would need a dedicated glass cleaner for interior use as well since Rain Repel is listed for exterior use only. :xyxthumbs:

Okay. I see

Have you ever tried Fog X? If you haven't, don't bother :D

Flash Gordon
10-08-2012, 05:48 PM
I have a bottle of this at home and I discovered that it works exceptionally well on glass that is hot to the touch; something of which is unusual for most glass cleaners. It doesn't smell like your typical glass cleaner either.

I'm confused. Is this product a glass cleaner or a rain repelant? :dunno:

Pats300zx
10-08-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm confused. Is this product a glass cleaner or a rain repelant? :dunno:

Its both in one...

SilverHawk
10-08-2012, 05:56 PM
I haven't tried this but. The Stoner Invisible Glass Cleaner with Rain Repel. Cleaned my windows and repels water. For $5.99 here. I first used it after buying it at Wally World up North driving on 93 South doing 70+ in light rain. June I headed South down 95 doing 70-75 when the rain hit. No wiper blades. I have not reapplied in a month. 10 days ago while driving back from Raleigh NC rain started no wipers. just a heads up if you haven't tried the Stoner's in rain.

Flash Gordon
10-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Its both in one...

Now that's a product I can get with! :dblthumb2:

A.P.A.D.
10-08-2012, 09:03 PM
I love DG products, but to me this one falls short on beading the water compared to Rain-X.

In my experience, 751 does not streak like RainX, but RainX blows it away with beading and water rolling off. If i remember right, RainX would roll the water off the windshield once you hit 30-35 MPH. with 751 it seems to start rolling the water over 45-50mph even though it still beads the water.

I just use Megs glass cleaner on all windows now, interior and exterior. and then just apply DG AW on the exterior windows along with the paint. AW seems to do just as well as the 751.

One good thing about DG is that it is affordable, so you can try it for cheap. If you love it AWESOME! If its just ok, no hard feelings.

Setec Astronomy
10-08-2012, 09:17 PM
One good thing about DG is that it is affordable, so you can try it for cheap. If you love it AWESOME! If its just ok, no hard feelings.

Ditto.

Shortspark
10-09-2012, 05:18 AM
I've tried Rain Repel and it is okay, especially for an AIO type product, but I like a three step approach to glass - at least for the windshield. For everyday maintenance I use Stoners IG with a periodic buff of Duragloss NUGlass polish (755) using the Griot white glass pad (either the 3" hand pad or the 6" pad using the Griot electric polisher), followed by a coat of Duragloss AquaWax. As APAD said above, AquaWax seems to work at least as good as 751, which may contain AW as one of its components although I am not sure of that.

I always have plenty of AW around so this saves me from having to buy a product specifically for water beading which the AW does pretty well at all driving speeds and lasts a long time. I have used this approach on my pick-up truck for years with good success and now that I have an SUV, I will probably do the exact same thing. On a final note, the NUGlass is a polish (meaning it is abrasive) and I don't use it often and only when needed but when a polish is really needed there is nothing better.

Pats300zx
10-09-2012, 08:30 AM
I had the chance to test the product today as we got some rain on my way into work. Rain Repel sheeted the water pretty nicely for a spray on product. I saw it compares to Rain-X in it's sheeting ability. It does not however compare to Gtechniq G1/G2. Water was flying off my windshield at about 40 mph with no need for wiper use.

This is a pretty nice combo product for someone looking for a glass cleaner with water repellent qualities. For the price and size you can't beat it.

I want to try this on my boats windscreen come summer. I feel it's the perfect application for that. I would definitely recommend the product for someone looking for a substitute to Rain-X.