PDA

View Full Version : DuPont Paint Protection

tommyt53
10-08-2012, 08:41 AM
I recently purchased a Nissan Maxima with a Crimson Black paint job which looks great. When I went to pick up the car there were a few scratches on the hood and the dealer fixed them and I negotiated a complimentary application of the Dupont Paint Protection package. The literature claims it's guaranteed for 5 years but will I be able to claybar, seal and wax this car ?.

I'd be dissapointed if I wasn't able to kill time by detailing my car but don't want to waste it by using unessessary products.

Thanks............TommyT

yakky
10-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Check the paperwork to see if its guaranteed for five years with no re-applications. I doubt it. The only thing that can make that sort of claim is OptiCoat.

rider9195
10-08-2012, 10:30 AM
From my understanding it is probably a paint sealant that needs to be reapplied every six months. So of they say they need it back in the next six months that is probably it. I hope they didn't screw up your paint..

ski2
10-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Interesting it doesn't say anything about returning for reapplication: Frequently Asked Questions (http://www2.dupont.com/Auto_Protection_Package/en_US/applications/faqs.html) Dupont website

LuxuryAutoSpa
10-08-2012, 04:00 PM
well i can tell you, i have applied over 100 duponts, when i was employed at the mercedes dealership. I believe there is a section in the paperworks fine print in the contract when you actually purchase from a dealer that it does need to be reapplied, they won't tell you that so when you get ready for a claim say 3 years from now their gonna say oh did you read your contract, and bam it's going to stick out like a sore thumb. At my dealer they where charging 1400 to have dupont applied, i think its just a sealant with one high ass profit margin, never had one to come back on my watch and then again it hasn't been 3 years to really tell, but i would go for someting lie gtech, or opticoat, never applied these but from what i gather they should be better than the Dupont, tell you want if you ever need a kit i have a couple that i will sell, mostly have dupont paint protection, have about 5 bottles left

tommyt53
10-08-2012, 07:19 PM
I've read the contract thoroughly and it makes no mention of reapplying the product. I want to know if it's ok to clay,polish, seal and wax or if it's uneccessary.

rider9195
10-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I've read the contract thoroughly and it makes no mention of reapplying the product. I want to know if it's ok to clay,polish, seal and wax or if it's uneccessary.

I don't know what product they used and how it lasts and works. I would hope that they didn't buff your paint and left holograms in it though. I would just leave it as it is and just wash it normally.

ScottB
10-08-2012, 07:31 PM
nothing more than a paint sealant and a warranty to match the paint warranty. If you polish or clay you will remove it. If you leave it alone you probably have 6-8 months at best before it wears out due to the environment.

cleanmycorolla
10-08-2012, 08:57 PM
IMO anyone who gets those things from the dealership deserves to be hosed, Colli 845 is probably better than the "special" dupont paint protection and longer lasting.