PDA

View Full Version : I used Armor All, yes I did!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jaretr1
10-07-2012, 07:16 PM
I know if I were to make such a derogatory post on almost any other forum, I would get mega flamed :)

But in a galaxy long ago, in a place far far away, when I was just 18 and I bought my first new car, I did not know any better. Quite frankly I bet half of these awesome products were not even around then (1991). I digress, I was still an obsessive car nut, and even though my car was a relatively inexpensive Nissan Sentra, I still wanted it to look awesome. I took plenty of pride in keeping her as nice as I knew how (knowledge is what I lacked). Of course, that meant scouring the aisles of the big box store and auto parts stores for products. I religiously used Armor All on the interior. Nice and glossy (my tastes have since changed).

Well, recently I got the car back from a 8 month hiatus (it was at a body shop getting a repaint, and I told them to take their time, they did) and it needed a wash. The interior was dusty and dirty. So, I did what I knew how to do when I was 18 and got out my trusty old Armor All. Yes I did. Not ashamed. The inside of that car has not ever seen another interior protectant, not going to switch it up now. Armor All was good to me.

Of course my current cars get my $39 bottle of UIGP (on bogo right now!!!)...but my trusty 91 SE-R, Armor All it will always be!

Thanks for reading!

Jaret

rockinrandall
10-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Right with you (although a little older)! I can remember using Comet cleanser and a scrub brush to get my BFG Radial T/A letters white. Of course, after that, they were doused with Armor All. I used dish soap all the time with the same scrap of a beach towel as a rag.
I remember the first time a friend of mine brought a spray on wheel and tire cleaner. I was almost done with the 1st tire and he was done with the other 3 tires and wheels. And they looked far better than the one I was sweating over.
Ah, science advancements, how we love thee.

ARizzle
10-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I know if I were to make such a derogatory post on almost any other forum, I would get mega flamed :)

But in a galaxy long ago, in a place far far away, when I was just 18 and I bought my first new car, I did not know any better. Quite frankly I bet half of these awesome products were not even around then (1991). I digress, I was still an obsessive car nut, and even though my car was a relatively inexpensive Nissan Sentra, I still wanted it to look awesome. I took plenty of pride in keeping her as nice as I knew how (knowledge is what I lacked). Of course, that meant scouring the aisles of the big box store and auto parts stores for products. I religiously used Armor All on the interior. Nice and glossy (my tastes have since changed).

Well, recently I got the car back from a 8 month hiatus (it was at a body shop getting a repaint, and I told them to take their time, they did) and it needed a wash. The interior was dusty and dirty. So, I did what I knew how to do when I was 18 and got out my trusty old Armor All. Yes I did. Not ashamed. The inside of that car has not ever seen another interior protectant, not going to switch it up now. Armor All was good to me.

Of course my current cars get my $39 bottle of UIGP (on bogo right now!!!)...but my trusty 91 SE-R, Armor All it will always be!

Thanks for reading!

Jaret

We all start somewhere :laughing:

wgarrjr
10-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Me too, all the above, with a '59 Rambler station wagon, before dates on the weekends in the late '60's. (I know - I'm old). Push button transmission (honest), and no power steering or power brakes, or AC, or cruise control. It did have a clock and an AM radio! The paint job stunk, but I didn't help it much. Brillo pads on the white walls. Spray Pam non-stick on the nose after Love Bugs arrived in Florida. I remember the glare from the dash on the windshield was so bad you could only see out of the top half. Who knew? But then again, pro athletes were still doing smoking commercials. I gave it up when I could finally afford my first new car, and I just could not bring myself to make the interior shiny and slick...But - I still think people will be detailing their transport pods a hundred years from now!

SON1C
10-07-2012, 08:59 PM
you're not a true detailer if you've never used armorall! you also aren't one if you still use it! lol generally speaking

psnt1ol
10-07-2012, 09:07 PM
This is a walk down memory lane. Back in the days, I remember having Armor-all all over my clothes. I used to soak the car with it :bash:.

SON1C
10-07-2012, 09:15 PM
anyone ever use those glass wipes out of the pull out containers that would always streak for me and leave little particles on the glass? lol

ARizzle
10-07-2012, 09:27 PM
anyone ever use those glass wipes out of the pull out containers that would always streak for me and leave little particles on the glass? lol

Lmaooo no, but I did use those Armor-All Orange scented wipes for the interior :D

Setec Astronomy
10-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Brillo pads on the white walls.

Yeah, that or SOS pads were the shiznits on whitewalls...and Mom always wondered how she used them up so fast...ain't it great we have blackwalls now?

FUNX650
10-07-2012, 11:03 PM
...got out my trusty old Armor All.
...Yes I did.
...Not ashamed.
...Armor All was good to me.

-Nothing to be ashamed of as far as I'm concerned!
-Glad to hear you are still using the gold-standard-of-dressings, Jaret!
(And it's been VOC compliant for a good while now.)

-This is the product that all the other dressings-maker have strived to compete with.

Some dressings-makers' products never have achieved its lofty status;
some have come close; some have even claimed to have overpassed it.

Out of curiosoty...
What's the noted difference(s) in your usage of UIGP on your current vehicles,
versus that of ArmorAll on the 91 SE-R?

IMO...If ArmorAll has been able to help preserve your 91, and its now antiquated-use
of materials, it should fair well on today's more "modern-materials"...
most of which are recycled "old-stuff", anyway.

Also, IMO...
The fact that your still happy with how ArmorAll has performed on/for at least one
of your vehicles for over 20 years now, is all the testimonial that the good
folks at ArmorAll, as well as myself, needs to ever hear...

Not whom is, or is not, a "Detailer"!!!

BTW: I'm kinda jealous of the guys that had access to all those
new-fangled-gadgets--like Brillo/Sos pads...when they were young lads.

:)

Bob

jvs1991
10-07-2012, 11:18 PM

Hahahahahaha I used those and their leather ones. Thought they were great back then. Oh how my opinions have changed. Once I found auto geek and other online distributors my eyes opened to a wide variety of products and I haven't looked back since.

BobbyG
10-08-2012, 05:50 AM
Back in the day all we had were the over the counter products typically sold at local department or auto-parts stores. They were plentiful and relatively inexpensive AND they worked!

The Internet has had an enormous impact of the availability and access to so many more products.

I was fortunate enough to have a local auto-parts store also be an autobody supply center. They carried DuPont paints supplies along with the complete like of Meguiar's Professional Mirror Glaze products which were outstanding and still are...

BillE
10-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Kinda an interesting story about AA...Back when Mt St Helens blew her top and the cities/towns in Eastern Washington were cleaning up from the ash, the auto parts stores shelves that had the AA products, the ash just wiped off. It (ash) didn't stick to the AA.

Bill

Setec Astronomy
10-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Kinda an interesting story about AA...Back when Mt St Helens blew her top and the cities/towns in Eastern Washington were cleaning up from the ash, the auto parts stores shelves that had the AA products, the ash just wiped off. It (ash) didn't stick to the AA.

It wiped off the outside of the bottle? I don't see how that helps you much with your car.

RandyD
10-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Memories, Back in the day I used to use Armor All. They only had one kind (didn't have matte finish or ultra shine). I used to wash my car with Zip-wax and then wax it with Turtle wax hard shell liguid wax. Now I'm a junkie with all that is out there.