PDA

View Full Version : My hat off to pro detailers

Pages : [1] 2

joche26
10-07-2012, 07:00 PM
So Ive been detailing my car this last 2 days and honestly its way harder than it looks. Its easy to sit in your office with the AC on and in your comfy chair watching Mikes videos on what to do and how to do it. You order your PC and a whole bunch of products to do this, do that, get super excited when Autogeek delivers your order, track it all the way down to your house, can wait to get to your house and open that great big brown box take pics of the box opening, post it on the forum and get real excited once saturday comes.
So you wash your car with your foam cannon so that implies getting and preparing the pressure washer, clay it find out its wayyy dirtier than you imagine so it takes twice as long, wash it again, the heat isnt in your favor so you have to put a new shirt because all the sweat is dripping to your now dry car. Now you put the new PC to work oops forgot to tape the car, ok done taping, check the clock its close to 2pm, now your fighting mother nature. Start polishing oops forgot to turn the PC with the pad on the car, splatter all over the place. Done with the hood now the sides of the car, dam this machine weights a lot. Wife brings you Wendys best baconator you ever ate, polsh-eat-polish, sun is going down ill finish tomorrow. Sleep like a baby, wake up and muscles in your body that you never knew were there ache. Get everything ready for day 2, finally you finish polishing, wife says good job but what about the interior jajajajaja all you can do is laugh, so you get the latherique out, make a mess put the car outside, Ok so how do I get in, remember a tip from a fellow geeker (take a garbage bag and use it as a seat cover, wait for the 12'oclock sun to do its thing, so you take a break. Around 3 the sky turns grey, better hurry, go to the car dam its hot in there, put it again in the garage and start removing all the gumpy, sticky stuff you put in there, thats when you say to yourself "My hat off to the people that go thru this for a living".

ARizzle
10-07-2012, 08:21 PM
So Ive been detailing my car this last 2 days and honestly its way harder than it looks. Its easy to sit in your office with the AC on and in your comfy chair watching Mikes videos on what to do and how to do it. You order your PC and a whole bunch of products to do this, do that, get super excited when Autogeek delivers your order, track it all the way down to your house, can wait to get to your house and open that great big brown box take pics of the box opening, post it on the forum and get real excited once saturday comes.
So you wash your car with your foam cannon so that implies getting and preparing the pressure washer, clay it find out its wayyy dirtier than you imagine so it takes twice as long, wash it again, the heat isnt in your favor so you have to put a new shirt because all the sweat is dripping to your now dry car. Now you put the new PC to work oops forgot to tape the car, ok done taping, check the clock its close to 2pm, now your fighting mother nature. Start polishing oops forgot to turn the PC with the pad on the car, splatter all over the place. Done with the hood now the sides of the car, dam this machine weights a lot. Wife brings you Wendys best baconator you ever ate, polsh-eat-polish, sun is going down ill finish tomorrow. Sleep like a baby, wake up and muscles in your body that you never knew were there ache. Get everything ready for day 2, finally you finish polishing, wife says good job but what about the interior jajajajaja all you can do is laugh, so you get the latherique out, make a mess put the car outside, Ok so how do I get in, remember a tip from a fellow geeker (take a garbage bag and use it as a seat cover, wait for the 12'oclock sun to do its thing, so you take a break. Around 3 the sky turns grey, better hurry, go to the car dam its hot in there, put it again in the garage and start removing all the gumpy, sticky stuff you put in there, thats when you say to yourself "My hat off to the people that go thru this for a living".

They got Wendy's in Puerto Rico?? Hahaha jk, but yup im no pro detailer but I too experience this... For me this is a perfect weekend :xyxthumbs:

Phathooddetail
10-07-2012, 08:50 PM
man u made me laugh with this one :props:

rustytruck
10-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Now you know why a lot of guys do it "part time"

paskett
10-07-2012, 09:21 PM
When I first opened I said, I'm the owner and only boss, I will only work 8am to 5pm, hahaha It is sunday @ 10:20pm as I write this !

ARizzle
10-07-2012, 09:35 PM
When I first opened I said, I'm the owner and only boss, I will only work 8am to 5pm, hahaha It is sunday @ 10:20pm as I write this !

Dedication goes a long way my friend!

joche26
10-07-2012, 09:53 PM
They got Wendy's in Puerto Rico?? Hahaha jk, but yup im no pro detailer but I too experience this... For me this is a perfect weekend :xyxthumbs:
I think we have a Mc Donalds too.

ARizzle
10-07-2012, 09:57 PM
I think we have a Mc Donalds too.

Hahaha! You my friend have a great sense of humour! Have a good night!

AutowerxDetailing
10-07-2012, 11:05 PM
It is true. Baconators taste SO MUCH better after a 10 hour correction job. Something about the polishing oils on your fingers mixed with the greasy bacon fat. Mmmmmmmmmmm. :buffing:

1Clean3
10-08-2012, 03:10 AM
It is true. Baconators taste SO MUCH better after a 10 hour correction job. Something about the polishing oils on your fingers mixed with the greasy bacon fat. Mmmmmmmmmmm. :buffing:
:iagree:

D.A.T. = Delicious Abrasive Technology.

Kinalyx
10-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Haha, i completely understand where you're coming from. My first detail took the better part of 3 days. Ill admit that i move a little slower than most, but i didnt want to rush, and the faster i do things the quicker i get worn out. Anyway, i love when i see a pro on here take a swirled up mess, and turn it into perfection, and they're all "this car took 8 hours from start to finish".

### how do they do everything so quickly. You mean to tell me it takes me like 4x+ longer to do this stuff than them.

Its just not fair!

Shawn

ARizzle
10-08-2012, 09:07 AM
:iagree:

D.A.T. = Delicious Abrasive Technology.

I love the taste of abrasives in my mouth :laughing: :hungry:

Good one 1Clean3

ARizzle
10-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Haha, i completely understand where you're coming from. My first detail took the better part of 3 days. Ill admit that i move a little slower than most, but i didnt want to rush, and the faster i do things the quicker i get worn out. Anyway, i love when i see a pro on here take a swirled up mess, and turn it into perfection, and they're all "this car took 8 hours from start to finish".

### how do they do everything so quickly. You mean to tell me it takes me like 4x+ longer to do this stuff than them.

Its just not fair!

Shawn

Hey Shawn,

PM me what you won from that prize thing from selecting your favourite video.

Anyways back to your comment, sometimes there are possibly more than 1 person working on the car? Either that or they may be lucky with their test spots :laughing: But I don't think I've ever heard of a full 3 step correction taking 3 hours.

MinnBobber
10-08-2012, 09:12 AM

Its just not fair!

Shawn

X2......
I've got over 30 hours of detailing into my new car and I'm not even done. I'm slow but thorough. As a hobbyist, I also do some things that the pros probably don't have time to do
like polish the two exhaust tips for 1/2 hour, polish and seal the door jams, use the Flex 3401 to polish all the interior glass before sealing, etc.

It does make me appreciate the work of the pros as the hours of lifting, stooping, crouching, and contorting while doing the interior, etc bring home how physical the process is. :buffing:

So here's to the pros and here's to the hobbyists----may they both do their thing.....

darkangelism
10-08-2012, 10:11 AM
The first time is tough, it gets easier the more you do, my first car took 14 hours, my second took 11