PDA

View Full Version : 1 pad for DG501? and other dg questions

aalbs
10-07-2012, 06:12 PM
is it possible to do dg501 on a small cross-over type SUV like a Chevy Equinox with just 1 white pad? I only have 2 white pads to my name and I still need to use one for polishing on my old Maxima so I can't assign both pads permanently to DG 501. I finally have a day off tomorrow and would like to tackle my wife's vehicle before the cold sets in. I would also like to follow it with DG105 but only have the following pads:
1 - blue
1 - black
will either of these work for dg105 and are they enough, and are they equally hard to clean out of pads like the dg501?

cleanmycorolla
10-07-2012, 06:30 PM
IMO you'll need more than 1 pad for polishing your car, and more than 1 for dg501....unless you have some super duper on the fly pad washer...?

aalbs
10-07-2012, 07:37 PM
I've been working the maxima over several weeks so that's how I'm getting by with one white pad for polishing. I'm not looking for correction out of dg501 so I wasn't sure if 1 pad would be sufficient.

A.P.A.D.
10-07-2012, 08:07 PM
With the DG501 i often use one white pad per vehicle. It does depend on how "dirty" the paint is after you wash and clay it though. check your pad often for any debris that may get on it. if you have not used a cleaner type wax on the paint lately, you may need a second pad. i have found that the roof and tail sections are often the areas that seem to dirty up or stain the pad the most, so try to apply the 501 in those areas last in order to make it through the whole vehicle with one pad.

i would honestly recommend getting more white pads in the near future in order to have back ups in case you need them.

wangotango
10-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Today....On a very (squeaky) clean car, previous products removed (GG Paint Prep, hand rubbed) I applied DG105/601 with one green (ccs) pad that was primed with DG501/601.
Stayed on paint, cleaned on the fly.
Can't think of why, got a bunch of pads, just stayed clean so kept using it.
If you can keep the pad clean, that's your answer.

BTW - finished with BFCS and it looks very nice.

aalbs
10-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Also do you apply dg501 like a polish with multiple section passes or how do you do it for best results?

BobbyG
10-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Also do you apply dg501 like a polish with multiple section passes or how do you do it for best results?

Green and White foam pads are my pads or chioce when using Duragloss 501.

Duragloss 501 is a great paint cleaner and it also incorporate a fine abrasive so it will remove minor defects. You'll use this much like any other polishing product so a sectional pattern will work fine. As you proceed you'll begin to see a dramatic change in the finish appearance so you'll be the judge of when enough is enough.

Duragloss 501also incorporates a sealant but like many other all-in-one products I like to apply a separate sealant afterwards, something like Duragloss 105 or Duragloss 111...

Marc Hufnagel
10-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Green and White foam pads are my pads or chioce when using Duragloss 501.

Duragloss 501 is a great paint cleaner and it also incorporate a fine abrasive so it will remove minor defects. You'll use this much like any other polishing product so a sectional pattern will work fine. As you proceed you'll begin to see a dramatic change in the finish appearance so you'll be the judge of when enough is enough.

Duragloss 501also incorporates a sealant but like many other all-in-one products I like to apply a separate sealant afterwards, something like Duragloss 105 or Duragloss 111...

Think 501 and a polishing pad would remove light hazing from d300/mf cutting pad?

A.P.A.D.
10-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Think 501 and a polishing pad would remove light hazing from d300/mf cutting pad?

probably not...but you could do a test panel and take some before/during/after pictures and report back!:dblthumb2:

wangotango
10-08-2012, 11:43 AM
-what Bobby G said...

and in regard to my previous "one pad" comment...
...don't overheat the mutha' either.