PDA

View Full Version : Touchless Car Wash?

ARizzle
10-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Hey, so the current situation is the winter season in Toronto mostly yields snow. My dad says that he will be turning off the water so that the pipes don't freeze. So I will be forced to go to either a Touchless Car Wash offered at several Gas Stations OR go to a Coin-op Do It yourself one...however I prefer not to go to the Coin-op one.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are with these Touchless Car Washes? Specifically the negatives would be good.

Thanks!

cleanmycorolla
10-07-2012, 03:17 PM
why no coin op? you have better control of what you can do IMO with a coin op in your situation. You can't do ONR washes in your garage either?

ARizzle
10-07-2012, 03:41 PM
why no coin op? you have better control of what you can do IMO with a coin op in your situation. You can't do ONR washes in your garage either?

I will only do coin-op if I have another person holding the long spray hose as it creates scratches and swirls when it comes in contact with the car.

Chris's FX4
10-07-2012, 04:20 PM
There are no coin-ops by you that have the swivel bar on the ceiling for the hose, to prevent it from hitting the car?

I'm in the same situation as you in the winters. Being at college my choices are only the coin-ops or automatic touchless. I use both. If I do coin-op its just the rinse, and the automatic is the full wash.

When I'm home I'll do ONR if its not too cold outside, like below 20degrees.

ihaveacamaro
10-07-2012, 04:37 PM
A lot of people go through touchless, although at most of them, the soap used seems to degrade the lsp... probably because the more concentrated soap is used for the target audience: extremely dirty cars.

Klasse Act
10-07-2012, 04:50 PM
I've used touch-free washes for years w/o a problem but if there's access to a garage, ONR is the way to go. I hope to use a bay at my work to wash my car at work atleast once a week, just gotta bring my own water as our water is very hard, start saving the milk jugs and washer fluid jugs, LOL.

You get those warm days in the winter (well, maybe not in Canada) but if you do, bust out that ONR and boil some water and get on out there!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Chris's FX4
10-07-2012, 04:52 PM
I've used touch-free washes for years w/o a problem but if there's access to a garage, ONR is the way to go.

Same here on the touch-free washes, well at the least two I use most of the time. They don't seem to degrade my sealant at all.

ARizzle
10-07-2012, 05:07 PM
There are no coin-ops by you that have the swivel bar on the ceiling for the hose, to prevent it from hitting the car?

I'm in the same situation as you in the winters. Being at college my choices are only the coin-ops or automatic touchless. I use both. If I do coin-op its just the rinse, and the automatic is the full wash.

When I'm home I'll do ONR if its not too cold outside, like below 20degrees.

There is that swivel bar, but those hose is so long that it is constantly hits the car. Plus I can't hold the hose according to Mike's proper Over the Shoulder technique :laughing:

ARizzle
10-07-2012, 05:08 PM
I've used touch-free washes for years w/o a problem but if there's access to a garage, ONR is the way to go. I hope to use a bay at my work to wash my car at work atleast once a week, just gotta bring my own water as our water is very hard, start saving the milk jugs and washer fluid jugs, LOL.

You get those warm days in the winter (well, maybe not in Canada) but if you do, bust out that ONR and boil some water and get on out there!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

LOL I guess the best options are Touchless Washes at Gas Stations and ONR... Sometimes I wish I lived in Florida or California ;)

SON1C
10-07-2012, 05:29 PM
just go onr or some type of waterless wash :dunno:

rwright
10-07-2012, 05:39 PM
You have to watch because most of the touchless systems use high alkaline soap to break down the grime. That stuff is hard on some trim and for the most part the rinse cycle doesn't get all the residue. At least make a trip through the coin-op bay to fully rinse.

ARizzle
10-07-2012, 05:53 PM
just go onr or some type of waterless wash :dunno:

Alrighty! My garage doesnt have a drain, and isn't sloped. Is that a big deal?

Btw Sonic, a while back, I read your time-consuming detail on your Mustang...Very very good work...its nice to know that the hard work paid off! But I can tell you take lots of pride and your work!

:cheers:

Chris's FX4
10-07-2012, 05:56 PM
You could always get a floor squeegy or a push broom works sometimes for pushing water out of the garage.

cleanmycorolla
10-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Alrighty! My garage doesnt have a drain, and isn't sloped. Is that a big deal?

Btw Sonic, a while back, I read your time-consuming detail on your Mustang...Very very good work...its nice to know that the hard work paid off! But I can tell you take lots of pride and your work!

:cheers:

IME, ONR run off, will be no more in your garage than say after you drive your car and park it in there after it rains....it wont be bad...