PDA

View Full Version : My Opti-Coat observations...

Pages : [1] 2

pcw25
10-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Well I did a wash on a customer's car that I coated on August 15th. I followed the Opti-Coat directions to the tee. I did a polish, IPA wipedown, bla bla bla on a 2009 white Cadillac DTS.

Today I noticed that the beading was good in some spots, and bad in others. It seemed like the coating didn't cure properly and is uneven in spots (even though I made sure there were no high spots on the vehicle). Every car I've done has had enough time to cure properly before it was ever exposed to the elements. This isn't the first time this has happened. The spots the don't bead well (and there are a lot) aren't where you'd typically expect them such as the rocker panels or behind the wheels.

I'm not trying to bash Optimum, but I'm just not happy with the performance of this product. After getting the same results three times and always following the directions, I've just had enough. I'm not trying to scare anyone away from this product, but I just didn't have good results with it. I will be trying Gtechniq EXO soon, maybe that'll work better. Well, just wanted to share my experiences.

Twister
10-06-2012, 04:21 PM
There have been several complaints about Opti-Coat but for every complaint there are many who have had great results that have held up.

I have had great results that have held up for over a year now. I think some wipe the panels too much which causes the issue with inconsistent beading while others may use IPA but don't swap out towels enough which just redeposits the oils back onto the surface.

DaveT435
10-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Well I did a wash on a customer's car that I coated on August 15th. I followed the Opti-Coat directions to the tee. I did a polish, IPA wipedown, bla bla bla on a 2009 white Cadillac DTS.

Today I noticed that the beading was good in some spots, and bad in others. It seemed like the coating didn't cure properly and is uneven in spots (even though I made sure there were no high spots on the vehicle). Every car I've done has had enough time to cure properly before it was ever exposed to the elements. This isn't the first time this has happened. The spots the don't bead well (and there are a lot) aren't where you'd typically expect them such as the rocker panels or behind the wheels.

I'm not trying to bash Optimum, but I'm just not happy with the performance of this product. After getting the same results three times and always following the directions, I've just had enough. I'm not trying to scare anyone away from this product, but I just didn't have good results with it. I will be trying Gtechniq EXO soon, maybe that'll work better. Well, just wanted to share my experiences.

I remember you having problems last time. Are the problems always exactly the same? I'm getting ready to use this product in the next couple of weeks. I want to eliminate as many things that may cause problems as I can. Did you use optimum compounds and polishes?? I know you did a couple very good cleanings. Is it possible in an attempt to make sure the coat was very thin some spots may have not gotten covered?? I hope you aren't offended by any of these questions...not my intention...like I said I just want to take any precaution I can when using this product.

Old Tiger
10-06-2012, 04:42 PM
There have been several complaints about Opti-Coat but for every complaint there are many who have had great results that have held up.

I have had great results that have held up for over a year now. I think some wipe the panels too much which causes the issue with inconsistent beading while others may use IPA but don't swap out towels enough which just redeposits the oils back onto the surface.
Seems like a good theory. I am baffled by this phenomanon!!

proudpoppa
10-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Im having similar issues on my cruze. Prep consisted of dawn wash, iron x, claying, and ipa. My topsides dont bead or sheet much at all after 6 1/2 months. Quite possibly a mistake on my end somewhere. Im thinking i may not have applied enough product.

Sent from my MB886 using AG Online

JSFM35x
10-06-2012, 05:01 PM
I have used opti coat and EXO. Both have been successful applications for me. They are different products but both very excellent. I have applied Opticoat twice, once with help from a pro and another on my own. I would guess you may have used too little in the areas that don't bead or the prep might have missed. I polished the car wiped the whole car with ipa, the before applying OC I wipes with IPA again and let it flash off 100% before applying Opticoat.

The EXO is about the same application interns of prep and applying even coats.

I am by no means a professional but I am always interested in helping other members. I have been helped by others so if I can I try to help where I can.

BTW the OC is 2 months old and the EXO is a few weeks old so durability is still a question mark but so far so good.

Good luck

timaishu
10-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I've noticed similar results on my hood.

Is it only happening on your horizontal panels?

My doors and fenders bead like crazy. However, my hood has several patches when washing that show zero signs of beading. Going to lightely polish and reapply soon.

proudpoppa
10-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Its definitely more noticeable on my hood,roof, and decklid. It all started after i used some apc+ as a pretreat on the lower sections and rear. I also mixed some into my wash bucket. I clayed the entire car thursday. The beading improved on the doors and front and rear bumpers, but remained virtually non-existent on the hood roof and deck.

ihaveacamaro
10-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Did you use Optimum's polishes?

DaveT435
10-06-2012, 07:37 PM

You mean wipe too much when only supposed to be knocking down high spots...or wipe too much when originally putting it on the panel?

proudpoppa
10-06-2012, 07:58 PM
I didnt polish. The car was brand new. Dawn, iron-x, clay and ipa.

Twister
10-06-2012, 07:59 PM
You mean wipe too much when only supposed to be knocking down high spots...or wipe too much when originally putting it on the panel?

When knocking down high spots. I've seen several wipe the whole panel regardless if there were high spots or not. The first time I used it I did it too but once I got a better idea or what I was working with I only wiped if I saw a high spot.

DaveT435
10-06-2012, 08:04 PM
When knocking down high spots. I've seen several wipe the whole panel regardless if there were high spots or not. The first time I used it I did it too but once I got a better idea or what I was working with I only wiped if I saw a high spot.

Thanks, the more I know going into it the better off I'll be. Of course if I have any problems your right down the road right??? lol

pcw25
10-06-2012, 10:44 PM
I've noticed similar results on my hood.

Is it only happening on your horizontal panels?

My doors and fenders bead like crazy. However, my hood has several patches when washing that show zero signs of beading. Going to lightely polish and reapply soon.

Definitely there, but it doesn't bead in other weird spots either. I think that because when it rains and the water dries on the roof the mineral deposits eat away at the coating. That's what I think.

swanicyouth
10-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Definitely there, but it doesn't bead in other weird spots either. I think that because when it rains and the water dries on the roof the mineral deposits eat away at the coating. That's what I think.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a lot of minerals in rain water, as usually water from the hose will leave a lot more spotting.