PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of Detailing-Products Forgotten

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pats300zx
10-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Yesterday I was going through my detailing cabinet and was amazing at how many products that I have accumulated over the years that were solid products but simply are not talked about anymore. Obviously as technology changes new and better products are going to be released. It's just funny the amount of products that were all the "rage" back in the day but no one even mentions them anymore.

Here are some of the ones that I came across:

S100 paste wax

I remember when this was the detailing forum favorite and everyone used it. To this day it is probably one of the easiest carnuaba waxes I have ever used. I admit that durability is an issue compares to waxes and sealants today but for ease of use and looks it can't be beat. I remember the "forum panic" when rumors surfaced that it was going to be discontinued. I think Harley Davidson dealers saw an increase in S100 sales that week. Heck I even bought 2 jars :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Clearkote Vanilla Moose and Red Moose Glaze

Back in the day one of the killer combos. This topped with S100 was the "go to" combo. I even know of some forum members that mixed the two to create "Pink Moose". They were such easy products to use but you never really hear about them anymore with the release of products like EZ Creame Glaze and Blacklight and Prima Amigo.

Pinnacle Souveran

Ten years ago I can remember this as the standard in high end carnubas. Heck I remember debates that would last forever as if the wax was worth the price in looks. I remember getting my first jar on a group buy and paying $60.00. I feel it is still one of the best looking carnuabas on black and reds. However, its not talked about as much with the release of more expensive carnuabas by Swissvax, Zymol, etc. To this day I still love it on my red 300ZX and black 350z.

What other products am I missing that have been forgotten but are still contenders??

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Great thread! I know you're looking for contenders so I'm not going to bring up all the flavors-of-the-month that were all the rage for a while but fell by the wayside...but since you brought up Clearkote...what about their Quik Shine QD? It came as a concentrate so you didn't have to pay big shipping costs (if shipped by weight), and was different than most QD's...I liked to use it on windshields during the winter, since most QD's would leave a streaky mess in the cold.

I'm not sure if Clearkote is gone, I know they had gone through some changes and only seemed to be selling direct, but their website isn't working now...

Klasse Act
10-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Subscribed.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Pats300zx
10-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Great thread! I know you're looking for contenders so I'm not going to bring up all the flavors-of-the-month that were all the rage for a while but fell by the wayside...but since you brought up Clearkote...what about their Quik Shine QD? It came as a concentrate so you didn't have to pay big shipping costs (if shipped by weight), and was different than most QD's...I liked to use it on windshields during the winter, since most QD's would leave a streaky mess in the cold.

I'm not sure if Clearkote is gone, I know they had gone through some changes and only seemed to be selling direct, but their website isn't working now...

SA...I love Quick Shine and still have a gallon. You are right about glass. It repels water like no other QD :props:

Clearkote Carnuaba Moose Wax (CMW) was another great wax. It looked great on blacks.

What about MF towels. I was always wiping down my cars with diapers !!!! I remember when they first hit the detailing market. I think my first purchase was from Right Look on a group by. I still remember my first dozen :dblthumb2:

scooterguitar
10-06-2012, 10:29 AM
I always used the Clearkote moose's. Loved using pink moose as a go to for many applications, or just red on dark.
Heck, I was in on the Edge revolution with two sided pad system...used them up until this summer when I got back into it...some things are much better left int he past...loving my flat pads!

RMM
10-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Clearkote Vanilla Moose and Red Moose Glaze

Back in the day one of the killer combos. This topped with S100 was the "go to" combo. I even know of some forum members that mixed the two to create "Pink Moose". They were such easy products to use but you never really hear about them anymore with the release of products like EZ Creame Glaze and Blacklight and Prima Amigo.

Yup ClearKote is sure forgotten in the Forums nowadays. In Europe, it is really hard to find someone who still sells it (and probably what is available are the leftovers of days gone by...).

That QD was nice on glass: the water repellency was great! (it was originally developed for aeronautic plexyglass windows)

ScottB
10-06-2012, 04:23 PM
I was just talking with Jason at the warehouse on Friday about Souveran paste .... its still selling at record pace.

I do miss Vanilla Moose and Clearkotes QuickShine.

FUNX650
10-07-2012, 12:43 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Meg_sNXT2.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/50528)

Lakhum
10-07-2012, 04:22 AM
I used NXT wax the other day on a friends car, it gave nice shine. But you gotta love the scent from the wax and the NXT wash as well.

Setec Astronomy
10-07-2012, 06:52 AM
I never got past the original version of NXT (never tried v.2), but the smell of all NXT products was marvelous. How about Klasse? That's a product that people still talk about but not so much...with KAIO and SG as long as you went thin and buffed off promptly it was easy, did a great job, and if you built up a few layers of SG it lasted a good long while...and a bottle of SG lasts forever since you use so little.

FUNX650
10-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Staying within the "acrylic-polymers family" of Klasse...
Its cousins/step-brothers/sisters:

-Jeff Werkstat...made the voyage across the pond.
-Carlack 68...waited for 'better weather'; stayed home.

:)

Bob

Setec Astronomy
10-07-2012, 07:26 AM
FUNX...if I ever use up my Klasse (and the myriad other products I have) I am definitely going to "move on" to one of those others we aren't supposed to talk about here because AG doesn't sell them :p

Klasse Act
10-07-2012, 08:42 AM
I used NXT wax the other day on a friends car, it gave nice shine. But you gotta love the scent from the wax and the NXT wash as well.

I couldn't agree more about NXT! Also someone brought up cotton diapers, yeah soft for sure but then your told about that nylon stitching.....eeeeek!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

MadMerc
10-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Anybody remember Liquid Luster, the pink wax?
I bought a bottle of that at the Chicago Autoshow back in the day. I remember it being pretty good.
You can still get it online.
Not one of the most popular product, but they sure pushed the hell out of it thru infomercials.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online

FUNX650
10-07-2012, 10:43 AM
FUNX...if I ever use up my Klasse (and the myriad other products I have) I am definitely going to "move on" to one of those others we aren't supposed to talk about here because AG doesn't sell them :p

I hear ya loud & clear...Setec!!

If I ever clear the bench of my similar-inventory, there may
be openings for some of those unmentionables.

Except for those (subliminal) expensive ones.
Such as: ___,____,____,____,____, etc.

Afterall I'm just a:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/PoorboyFUNX.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/50531)

:D