PDA

View Full Version : anyone experience with dying leather?

SON1C
10-05-2012, 07:43 PM
sort of detailing -> has anyone dyed leather, so to restore leather seats or as part of an interior swap or interior color change?

Ecrissman
10-17-2012, 03:46 AM
Have you found any good resources for this. I am interested in dyeing leather also. Basically to touch up areas where the color had faded or been lifted.

SON1C
10-17-2012, 06:45 AM
There was a good link on moddedmustangs about a guy who completely re dyed and restored his Leather for a reasonable price, ill try and find it when I get onto a computer

Ecrissman
10-17-2012, 07:07 AM
I also found a company called fibrenew that has locations through-out the country. They actually do the work.

SON1C
10-17-2012, 07:42 AM
What would you be looking at to have the work done through them?

Ecrissman
10-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Touch up a faded area of a seat, no structure damage just the dye lifted.

swanicyouth
10-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Touch up a faded area of a seat, no structure damage just the dye lifted.

I've done this and posted about it a few weeks ago. I can't go into it right now, but search "BMW bolster leather repair" and it should come up. Basically what I learned is

1. If doing a repair area only, you need to match 2 things. The gloss/matte (sheen) of the color and the actual color shade itself. This can be tricky.

2. If just repairing a small area it likely will be somewhat noticeable very close up that something was done.

3. The products I used where from Furniture Clinic in UK and are very durable. I tried wiping with a white rag on a test piece after the colorant dried with straight alcohol and no color would come off.

Please feel free to ask me any questions via this post.

kemefk
10-17-2012, 10:16 AM
I haven't done leather dying but there is a guy on youtube that uses leatherique products to dye his seats from black to red. Let me see if I can find the link for you.

kemefk
10-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Take a look at this

How to, color change leather - YouTube (http://youtu.be/uoJvdEBYIUA)

Ecrissman
10-17-2012, 10:46 AM
What would you be looking at to have the work done through them?

$105+tax