PDA

View Full Version : New in town with questions.

Mrgrim
10-04-2012, 02:12 PM
I picked up a Porter Cable DA from autogeek as well as pads and cloths and host of other products. So far I can not complain one bit but I have questions. Working with a
2004 Silverado.

First I want to say I have never used clay on a car but wow what a difference it made when I did it for the first time last week end. Paint was as smooth as new glass.

I have some scratches and small pits in the wind shield. I picked up the Ceriglass kit here
and some of the Gariots garage glass pads for the Porter Cable. After a wash, dry and clay of the wind shield I went after it with the Ceriglass and the Porter Cable. I did 1/4 sections
at about 1/3 the tools top speed. Worked it until it started to dry. Washed the glass again
and buffed it with a micro fiber towel. I cant see a bit of difference at all. Do I need a better or different pad? Is it pointless with a DA porter cable? The damage to the glass is fine small scratches and small pits that you can not feel with a finger nail. I need to clean this up or get a new one installed. Any help would be great.

Next is inside the truck. The head liner is a light tan and is dirty. I am not sure how to clean it with out causing it to sag or spread the dirt around.

Again I'm new to this but want to learn more. Any help would be great!!

Mike Phillips
10-04-2012, 02:28 PM
I cant see a bit of difference at all. Do I need a better or different pad? Is it pointless with a DA porter cable? T

I've only ever had good luck removing below surface defects out of glass using a rotary buffer. It's a hard job and you need a lot of power, in other words you need a rotary buffer...

Next is inside the truck. The head liner is a light tan and is dirty. I am not sure how to clean it with out causing it to sag or spread the dirt around.

Yep... headliners present a challenge and this is where a steamer comes in handy and it's still hard with a steamer.

Dampen a microfiber towel so it's wet with your cleaner and then dab the headliner and only work a small section at a time.

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

Mrgrim
10-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Thank you for the reply!!

I guess I will get myself a rotary. Is there a good way to "seal" the windshield if and when I get it improved? What type of pad would
I want to use with a buffer to work the windshield?