PDA

View Full Version : Hydro tech pads?

Kinalyx
10-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Im having a hard time figuring out which pads i want to try out. Im going to get a 3pack, but im not sure i want/need 1 of each pad. I typically use the CCS pads and for correction usually start with orange, then go to gray for polishing.

I also dont typically do waxes/sealants by machine, i like to do that stuff by hand most of the time so im not sure i need the crimson pad if it doesnt have correction abilities.

I will be trying out 105/205 for the first time, so i would assume i would do 105 on the cyan, then 205 on the tangerine, but im not sure i would use the Crimson other than if i decided to do LSP by machine.

Any input?

Shawn

TroyScherer
10-03-2012, 08:55 AM
You are correct on the 105 / cyan, then 205 / tangerine. You could use the Crimson for LSP application or for even a final gloss enhancing polish w/ something like Menz 85rd.

Kinalyx
10-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I hadnt thought of using 85 on the crimson, or even WG Finishing Glaze(nearly identical from what i understand)

Maybe i will get 1 of each and just make sure they stay clean. Ive done a car with 1 of each pad before. As long as i keep em clean, i should be fine.

Shawn

Setec Astronomy
10-03-2012, 09:55 AM
The crimson pad is supposed to have some cut, and could be used for AIO or a finishing polish...but in actual practice that hasn't worked out so well for me. I love the HT tangerine pads, though. Have you thought about buying the new hybrid pads instead?

Kinalyx
10-03-2012, 10:04 AM
I was considering the hybrids, but i like that the HT system is 3 pads in all. I dont know if this makes them more versatile or if it leaves gaps, but it makes my life easier.

Shawn

RhetoricMixes
10-03-2012, 10:18 AM
I just gave some HT tangerine pads a go this weekend for the first time and loved them. Before those i was using ccs pads. I'll prolly use the ccs pads until they arent useful anymore then stock up on HT pads since i loved em so much.

addysdaddy
10-03-2012, 10:23 AM
I was considering the hybrids, but i like that the HT system is 3 pads in all. I dont know if this makes them more versatile or if it leaves gaps, but it makes my life easier.

Shawn

Didn't like the crimson pad until i went to a exact fitting backing plate - now the crimson pad is great and I use it for applying KAIO as my paint cleaner - but my paint is in very good condition. Don't need it for sealant as my LSP of choice is BFCS. For lesser paint conditions, I would probably use the tangerine pad. Like you, I've felt there was a gap between the tangerine and the crimson so I bought a few flat white LC pads but Nick has been encouraging me to just use the tangerine. According to him, it's aggressiveness is dependent on the chemical being used and he's generally spot on with his recommendations.

Kinalyx
10-03-2012, 10:47 AM
well, i definitely feel the need for the cyan pad this time around. I recently bought this car used and either the previous owner or the dealership put some nice holograms in the paint, and all of the swirls are still there to boot. I definitely need some compounding. I may still pass on the crimson, extra orange pads are always ncie.

Shawn

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-03-2012, 11:07 AM
I love the HT pad line and it does make life a bit easier just having the three pad system. You cant go wrong and will achieve great results. M105/Cyan then M205/Tangerine and M07/Crimson.

When I picked up the HT line I went with three orders of the 3 pack for a total of nine pads.

dad07
10-03-2012, 05:28 PM
well, i definitely feel the need for the cyan pad this time around. I recently bought this car used and either the previous owner or the dealership put some nice holograms in the paint, and all of the swirls are still there to boot. I definitely need some compounding. I may still pass on the crimson, extra orange pads are always ncie.

Shawn

90% of the work I do is done with MF pads but when I need foam I reach for low profile HT's.

IMHO 1 of each pad is not enough to do a vehical of any size. The cyan pads tend to heat up quickly,so cleaning on fly after every section pass helps. I change pads after a couple of sections to allow the first pad to cool,which in turn will extend the life of your pads.

stibuki
10-03-2012, 06:05 PM
I love all 3 colors of the low profile 5.5's. Very versatile pads and since I use a Flex 3401 for most of my work it's very easy to adjust the cut with downward pressure and product choice. Currently I have 5 of each. I usually use around 3 pads of each color to do a full sized car depending on finish condition except crimson one or two is sufficient. The crimson pad defiantly has it's place but by far the tangerine pads are the most used of the bunch for me. I finish off all my sections with a few light passes and if done right with a tangerine on quite a few finishes it's LSP ready excluding garage queens.