PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen CC Ready for Winter

mwoolfso
10-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Just touched up my car and prepared it for the winter. I worked on the inside a couple of weeks ago (trim, dash, seats). I used PERL at the recommended dilution in early summer and I have to say I was disappointed; as it seemed to attract dust immediately. So I went back to Vinylex and I am very pleased. I'll give PERL another go next year and post pics. For now, what's below is how I approached the paint.

Products Used

Duragloss 901 (Wash)
Meguiars APC+ (APC)
DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss (Clay Lube and QD)

Wolfgang Clay

Flex XC3401, LC HT Tangerine Pad w/ Menzerna SF4500 (PO85RD)

Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer w/ Yellow MF Applicator Pads

Mothers California Gold Micro-Polishing Glaze
Collinite 845 w/ P21S Foam Wax Applicators
Collinite 915

Comments on each product

Durgaloss is OK, I like it but I am still not WOW'd by it. So many people have made this one popular on the board. However, I still don't see much of a difference between this and my Mothers California Gold. What stands out is the strawberry scent and cleaning ability seems to be on-par. DG and Mothers share my #2, with #1 being XMT Gel Shampoo and Conditioner.
Megs APC+ just works and extremely cost effective, don't see a need to move beyond this one.
DP Rinseless W&G, I am liking this one more and more as my "second-best" now that I add a little more product to the mixture compared to what is recommended. UWW+ is still my #1 but since I was doing some stripping and correcting I didn't want to waste it.
Wolfgang Clay is growing on me. I've had this for about 9 months or so. At first the clay was very stiff. Now, it is very pliable and still performed well. There were some spots where I had to work the clay more than I expected. I left some spots alone to see how the Wolfgang Polish Enhancer will perform.
Flex XC3401, love it and getting better at keeping it level the more I use it. I have always stated that if you have done machine sanding or finishing work or remodelling work, short of making some adjustments the learning curve is relatively short.
LC HT Pads, first time I tried the HT's vs. the CCS pads I have. I noticed a difference for sure and I am quite surprised it was noticeable.
Menzerna SF4500 (PO85rd), it just worked. With the combination I chose it worked very well on the horizontal surfaces of my Volkwagen's hard paint. I got a 95% correction and was very pleased.
Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. Oh my goodness.... I knew I was going to pick up some stuff but I was shocked at what came off my paint. I had 2 layers of BFWD on the car from my spring detail where I used Mothers pre-wax cleaner. I maintained the paint through the summer with regular washes, OID and a spray wax mixture of Pinnacle Spray Wax and Collinite 845. I was just not expecting my new yellow MF applicators to get filthy grey! I used both sides of 3 applicators for the entire car. I wish I took some pics of the pads. Chemical cleaners have a place in my inventory now.
Mothers CG Micro-polishing Glaze, applied this with a short-nap microfiber (a.k.a cheap) pad from the local auto supply shop. This is Mothers Step 2 product, a sealant with some fillers. I didn't go with BFWD this time around because of my schedule and the foul weather heading my way. This product requires no cure time and it simply works. I have never noticed a durability issue with this product, and it will be interesting to see how Collinite's waxes enjoy this base. That being said, Step 2 will always have a place in my inventory.
Collinite 845, my first time using it. Applied it to every surface (windows, trim, paint). With the P21S applicators I was able to apply it very thin and quickly at that. In some areas I purposely applied it heavier just to see how much I can tempt fate. None of the areas showed any negative affects. I think I used just under 2oz for the entire vehicle. Overall, very pleased with the tight beading and ease of application.
Collinite 915, I topped 845 with 915 just on the horizontal surfaces. Let's see if 915 over 845 will last through the winter.
Tangent #1--> About 2 weeks ago I redid the hood with most of the steps above and used Meguiars M26 as the LSP. The beading was just not as tight as 845, and overall in terms of pricing M26 and 845 are very close. While a nice product, M26 falls to the bottom of my top 5 list, with Collinite, Mothers and Dodo Juice ahead of Meguiars
Tangent #2 --> Several weeks prior to the M26 test I tried Mothers Step3 Carnauba Paste Wax on the hood. I'll have to try Meguiars M26 vs Mothers Step 3 next year just to be sure. At this point I liked Mothers better than M26, a little less glossy which I attribute to the paste vs. liquid differences. I also think Meguiars uses a lot more oils in their product lines vs. Mothers where I see more of a naturalist approach in their much more simple product line.

Overall, man does this thing shine. Enjoy the pics!

Side Shots (first with HDR, second without HDR)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/CC_09-30-12_HDR.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2012-10-01_16-39-53_54.jpg

Side Shot - With HDR

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2012-10-01_16-38-37_HDR.jpg

Beading Shots

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Beading_2012-10-02_17-31-42_HDR.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Beading_-_2012-10-02_17-32-11_HDR.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Beading_-_2012-10-02_17-31-22_HDR.jpg

kemefk
10-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Nice Work Man!:dblthumb2:

micky33
10-03-2012, 01:50 PM
nice work. also a nice touch with your opinions on each of the different products used, very informative.

AutowerxDetailing
10-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Tight beads, yo. :props:

BTLew81
10-03-2012, 10:26 PM
LOVE those beads. Maintain it with Meg's UQW....nice combo.

swanicyouth
10-03-2012, 10:40 PM
That's a nice VW. Awesome color; nice work.

Danube
10-04-2012, 12:30 AM
This car is awesome in person; great work mate!

/

vet
10-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Nice!

Gurge
10-04-2012, 10:19 AM
awesome work

I imagine the grey you picked up with the wolfgang PPE was traces of the menz 4500 (since that is grey also)

and you can go much thinner on the 845. I probably don't even use 1oz on a car your size. With a DA and kissing the finish I lose count of how many cars I can do with 1 bottle of 845 (hint - transfer it into one of the megs self cleaning squeeze bottles- much easier to work with as compared to the widemouth collinite gives you)

FASTFRED
10-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Nice write up and thanks for sharing. :dblthumb2:

mwoolfso
10-04-2012, 10:58 AM
awesome work Thanks to you and everyone else!!!

I imagine the grey you picked up with the wolfgang PPE was traces of the menz 4500 (since that is grey also) Possibly but that wouldn't explain what came off the 10 vertical panels that didn't get 4500. :-)

and you can go much thinner on the 845. I probably don't even use 1oz on a car your size. With a DA and kissing the finish I lose count of how many cars I can do with 1 bottle of 845 (hint - transfer it into one of the megs self cleaning squeeze bottles- much easier to work with as compared to the widemouth collinite gives you) Thanks. I have a "squeeze" cap on the 845 already so I am covered. I did notice even with that in place more came out than I wanted at times. \