PDA

View Full Version : US Honda Paint is soft???

Björns Biltvätt
10-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Hey,
So tried first US full detail today! White 2008 Honda Civic. I read a lot that Honda has soft paint here? Just want to make less the swirl and spider marks all on over the car.

I used to do a LOT of VW, Volvo, BMW, Skoda (hah), but this is the first try here.

I washed, ironx, clay & again wash to start.

Then on polish I have a bit of trouble. I bought new PC7424xp when I get here with pads. BIg $$ order but thanks AG!! Some off and free ship! Nice!

Test spots first. After test pass each wiped with CarPro eraser.
Start test on tunk lid. Easy to see marks, flat, small eara.

Tried Chemical Guys Black Light as AIO.
PC 4speed on black pad. 4-6 sectoin pass. No improvement.

Next Optimum Hyper Polish on Whte Pad. 5speed. Same.
Move up to Orange pad. Same.

I think paint is very hard now. Read more, no idea.

Lat spot......

Megs 105 on Orange Pad. FIXXXXED!!

So... Just did bonnet, roof (the worsst!!!), trunk lid.

By hand I put 105 on small foam circle and rub behind of door handle, many many marks, gone in few motions. Looks perfect.

What is happen with this car? So hard on tops but door so soft? Let me know from you pros what you think.

Thanks.

Björn.

dcjredline
10-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Hopefully someone else can understand you better, I am sorry I cant help.

Björns Biltvätt
10-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Ah I see. My question for help is,

I thought US Honda Paint is very soft. Why was 105 the step to get correction? I believe Optimum Hyper Polish = Menzerna Power Finish and I had used on Acura black paint with great improvement.

Roommate translated this post!

mwoolfso
10-02-2012, 09:10 PM
You cannot correct with a black pad and an AIO. If you used White or Orange with an AIO that would have been better. As for speed, you should have been at 5 or 6, and then towards the end of your cycle you could have reduced the speed to 4 to amp up the gloss.

Hyper Polish with White should have done better, so technique could have been a problem there, likely moving too fast if you are new at this.

The swirls were removed with 105 and Orange because that is a good combination to correct; probably overkill on the 105 but I think you get the drift now.

In short, your problem in the beginning with the AIO was the wrong speed and pad.

Björns Biltvätt
10-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Yes. Thank you!

KneeDragr
10-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I have a 2008 CR-V and the paint is soft. By that I mean its easy to scratch, and easy to correct. But you do need to use the correct pad and compound, you cant get it swirl free with a finishing polish. Thankfully it's hard enough that you wont mar it by wiping the bare paint.

Maclovin
10-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Just bought wolfgang total swirl remover kit, I also have menzerna kit and prima kit. Does anyone know, which one will work better for black honda paint?

Divine Details
10-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Just bought wolfgang total swirl remover kit, I also have menzerna kit and prima kit. Does anyone know, which one will work better for black honda paint?

I use menzerna po85rd to get the high gloss finish on my NBP Acura and can't remember the name of the menzerna polish I used to compound right now will look in the morning

KneeDragr
10-12-2012, 06:43 AM
I use the wolfgang twins on my CR-V - they worked great.