PDA

View Full Version : D301 and foam to finish with?

Tom Weed
10-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Here's a question I have been thinking about of late and have never tried it, on softer paints, I find that using a MF cutting pad and D300 is going to leave behind some hazing, if I follow that with D301 on a MF finishing pad, it's better, but still not where I want it it to be or should I say, it will look better with foam. Has anyone ever tried D301 and foam to finish with, is it aggressive enough to remove the hazing from the previous step?

Thanks for the input,

Tom

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-02-2012, 12:43 PM
If you want to leave the finish haze free after the 300/mf combo you are going to want to go with a finishing polish such as m205 and a finishing foam pad to eliminate the hazing from the first step. Then you can use your favorite LSP.

ihaveacamaro
10-02-2012, 01:31 PM
I find the white or sometimes the gray pad as an excellent finishing pad.

wangotango
10-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I thought the Megs MF 300/301 system left it LSP ready?
You're seeing that you need another polish pass?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-02-2012, 03:36 PM

Most of the time Meguiars mf system will finsih out LSP ready with the exeption of doing soft clear coats or non metallic black. For those scenarios it is best to add another final polishing step to be LSP ready.

dad07
10-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Here's a question I have been thinking about of late and have never tried it, on softer paints, I find that using a MF cutting pad and D300 is going to leave behind some hazing, if I follow that with D301 on a MF finishing pad, it's better, but still not where I want it it to be or should I say, it will look better with foam. Has anyone ever tried D301 and foam to finish with, is it aggressive enough to remove the hazing from the previous step?

Thanks for the input,

Tom

Tom I've tried 301 on foam and wasn't thrilled.I have used 205 on a mf polishing pad with very good results on the "softer paints". I am a huge fan of the mf pads just not the 301 so I always use something else to finish out with.

D301 is the LSP so to speak......its a finishing "wax"and on some paints it just isn't enough.

Mike Phillips
10-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Just to chime in...

We used the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System on a 2008 Cadillac and when the owner picked up the car he said it looked better than the day he bought it.

I have before, process and after pictures plus an after video. Just have not had the time to get it all online.

:)

wangotango
10-02-2012, 05:35 PM
dad07 - so the D301 has no polishing capability, just a wax?
That would make the D300 - D301 a one-step process then?
Am I missing something?

dad07
10-02-2012, 06:19 PM
dad07 - so the D301 has no polishing capability, just a wax?
That would make the D300 - D301 a one-step process then?
Am I missing something?

D301 is the finishing step to D300 in the mf system. D301 does have some polishing capabilities and leaves a lsp behind( kinda of like a AIO)

IME is that D301's durability is very short.( which is one of the reasons I'm not thrilled with it)

As Mike P said they had great results on the caddy using the MF system which is usually "Hard paint".

On softer paint (like a Honda for example) IME D301 did not bring out the look I was looking for,so I had to go to something different.

The Megs Mf system is a 2 step process D300 w/cuttuing pad then D301 w/finishing pad and done,so to speak! And believe me I love MF pads!

85% of the time I can get the results "I" want with D300 only and then apply a lsp of my choice to achieve "MY" goals and my "customers expectations".

Evan.J
10-02-2012, 06:25 PM
I have used the MF system on vehicles and I can attest to the fact that D301 doesn't give you that show car look that I go for. I have found myself going for M07 after the cutting process and followed by my wax.

Tom Weed
10-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replies, just now able to get back to this...

On some paints yes, for me, microfiber leaves hazing on softer paints, so If I am correcting with D300 I will usually follow with a foam finishing pad with something like Menz 106fa, 85rd, or HD Polish.

Tom I've tried 301 on foam and wasn't thrilled.I have used 205 on a mf polishing pad with very good results on the "softer paints". I am a huge fan of the mf pads just not the 301 so I always use something else to finish out with.

D301 is the LSP so to speak......its a finishing "wax"and on some paints it just isn't enough.

Thanks Dad, that's what I was looking for!

Just to chime in...

We used the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System on a 2008 Cadillac and when the owner picked up the car he said it looked better than the day he bought it.

I have before, process and after pictures plus an after video. Just have not had the time to get it all online.

:)

Thanks Mike!

D301 is the finishing step to D300 in the mf system. D301 does have some polishing capabilities and leaves a lsp behind( kinda of like a AIO)

IME is that D301's durability is very short.( which is one of the reasons I'm not thrilled with it)

As Mike P said they had great results on the caddy using the MF system which is usually "Hard paint".

On softer paint (like a Honda for example) IME D301 did not bring out the look I was looking for,so I had to go to something different.

The Megs Mf system is a 2 step process D300 w/cuttuing pad then D301 w/finishing pad and done,so to speak! And believe me I love MF pads!

85% of the time I can get the results "I" want with D300 only and then apply a lsp of my choice to achieve "MY" goals and my "customers expectations".

I've used the Meguiars MF system since it was release on a DA, or Dynabrade usually, and I am on my second gallon of D300, so I have used it quite a bit. I've done several vehicle using the 2 step system and on harder paints or paints where my eyes can't tell the difference (I always do a test spot, MF versus foam) and I love how easy the system is to use, and like how slick D301 makes the paint. I can't speak for durability, as they are always on customers cars.

I just thought maybe since I thought 301 was a light AIO, that it may correct the hazing better with foam than MF on paints that show...

wangotango
10-03-2012, 10:51 AM
most xlnt info
I also say tks for replies