PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Frieght has a DA!

Pages : [1] 2

cruzncali
10-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Okay so as I'm looking through my October 2012 HF issue I see a NEW item under the polishers section. It is labeled as a "6 inch variable speed dual action polisher"... it looks like a PC but with a Flex 3401 type head and the usual PC handle attached. Going for $59.99! Can someone please back me up on this one? I can't even find it online... Lot#69924

cruzncali
10-02-2012, 01:29 AM
This is it... Not sure if I can post this due to price info so remove if I violate any rules.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/cruzncali/ADS/20121001_230903_zpsb85fb053.jpg

Rsurfer
10-02-2012, 02:47 AM
I won't answer cause you post will more then likely get deleted.

kenallwine
10-02-2012, 08:37 AM
I have a HF about 3 miles from where I work. I'll run up at lunch and see if they have one in stock. I'll take pictures if they do.

WickedLou9
10-02-2012, 08:46 AM
The thing about HF tools is that they are cheap and cheap for a reason. They don't last that long, especially the electric/mechanical tools. A set of sockets, sure. They can't really stop working. They are good for a job where you only need the tool once or twice. I wouldn't but this for something you expect to keep for a while.

kenallwine
10-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Yes, HF tools are cheap but I have to respectfully disagree to a point. I have had multiple power tools from them that have been absolute beasts. I have a 4" angle grinder that I have beat for years and it still works. I also have an SDS demolition hammer that I have eliminated tons of concrete with that still runs like a champ.

I think it depends on the product. Because on the reverse side, I had a hammer action drill that died after 20 bores in concrete.

SANTA3013
10-02-2012, 09:23 AM
They do have a liberal return policy so give it a try. If it doesn't work out just carry it back and get a refund. HF tools are a hit and miss.

cruzncali
10-02-2012, 09:37 AM
It could be used as a dedicated 3". It has a low profile head that might work in tighter places. I currently have a PCXP that I go back and forth from 3" to 5" pads.

richy
10-02-2012, 09:51 AM
The thing about HF tools is that they are cheap and cheap for a reason. They don't last that long, especially the electric/mechanical tools. A set of sockets, sure. They can't really stop working. They are good for a job where you only need the tool once or twice. I wouldn't but this for something you expect to keep for a while.
Lou, I totally agree with you! I hope AG keeps this thread alive, b/c people need to learn that you can't skimp on tools!! For the nominal amount extra, have a tool that lasts vs using it once or twice and having it break, or just not be powerful enough to do what you need. Leave the junk to the junk collectors, LOL.

FUNX650
10-02-2012, 10:02 AM
China-go Electric Tools are attractively priced for the hobbyist.

:)

Bob

swanicyouth
10-02-2012, 11:07 AM
China-go Electric Tools are attractively priced for the hobbyist.

:)

Bob

This is true, but to be fair the Griots and Meg's machine also are likely fron China. I know my PC is from Mexico. I'm actually headed to HF now to see if the have this thing. It looks lot like that polisher from that other car care website. I may just buy it.

kenallwine
10-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Well, the HF in Harrisburg, PA does not have the DA. It wasn't in their system and not on the floor.

Setec Astronomy
10-02-2012, 12:16 PM
It looks lot like that polisher from that other car care website.

That's what I thought, but I didn't actually compare the pictures.

louie
10-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Years ago after buying my PC I wanted to try out a rotary but didn't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a quality rotary and happened across the Harbor Freight rotary on sale for $30 and had an additional 20% off coupon so I figured I had nothing to lose.

The biggest problem is that it does not hold a constant speed. If I am running at about 1000 rpm and applying constant pressure the speed not only drops lower, but also runs up higher. It also boggs down under pressure, so if you vary pressure it varies speed. Pretty frustrating to learn on. Bought a Dewalt and it is night and day. Current HF rotary is on the garage sale shelf - hope to get $5-$10 bucks for it.

VIP Special - Griot's Garage Polisher & Wax Special! (http://www.autogeek.net/members-only.html)

Current deal through Friday is a Griots DA, backing plate, finishing pad and Pinnacle LS for $139.99. I have one of these and it has more power to remove defects than my original PC unit. I'd be worried that the HF DA unit does not have as much power as a PC and that one needs every bit of speed setting 5-6 to get defects out.

kenallwine
10-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I love my PC DA and wouldn't give it up for the world! Have had it for 6 years and has never let me down. I was merely curious as to what it felt like and how the construction was.

Louie, to comment on your speed issue with the rotary that you were using. I have found that regardless of what company it is, if the brushes for the electric motor are not good, you'll have issues with speed variation. I was having issues with a Craftsman router and it turned out the commutator and the brushes were messed up. But I digress.

The VIP special is a great deal. If I didn't have my PC, I would be picking that up!